Forecasts - Where to Ride Question

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Forecasts - Where to Ride Question

Postby jakespinder » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:48 pm

New to Utah and fairly new to the sport. I had a questions about Craig's "Forecasts - Where to Ride". When he says something "DC looks like 7/14", what is the 7/14? Does it mean 7 is for windsurfing and 14 is a 14m kite? If I ride a 142 board on that kind of day, could I use a 13m and be fine?
jakespinder

Re: Forecasts - Where to Ride Question

Postby gregwojtkun » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Yes... 7/14 means 7 windsurf sail and 14 kite. Second question is impossible to answer. Highly dependent on how the conditions actually shake out, rider weight, board size, and most importantly, kite flying skills. Meaning... more experienced guys, as ive witnessed, are very good at "flying" the kite on the very bottom range, sheeting, looping, etc.

You mentioned a few times you are "new" to the sport. Aside from lessons, how much on the water training have you had (in hours)? Have you learned upwind riding in both directions proficiently? Can you transition turn? Have you relaunched in deep water? Body drag/ self board rescued? Since you haven't told us any of this its really hard to guide you as we all want to help you. But if you have not done (and Im just assuming here) a lot of self training on the above items with at least 10-15 sessions and 30+ hours, I would HIGHLY caution you on just showing up at Deer Creek on a 5/10 day with shifty g to 20 kts. Toss in some lulls too.

You want my beginner advice (as I a one also) head to Rush while its still deep enough. Great training spot, flat water... and SHALLOW. That's the best way you will progress. Craigs forecasts have been pretty accurate and I also use windalert to follow wind station readings and forecasts.

If you are already at 40+ hours and have done all the basic stuff then my bad. Im just looking out for you as I got myself caught downwind when self training the first week after my lessons and it was a LONG hitchkike back to my car :roll: Something I'll never do again.
gregwojtkun

Postby jakespinder » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:54 am

Greg,

Thanks for the great advise. Rush is only 45 minutes from my work so I will have to head over there as soon as I can. I did take lessons and I am okay at going up wind. It seems like every time I do go I am able to get better at going up wind.

My last question: What is a good kite quiver for Utah? I have the Best Waroo and TS 9m, 11m, 12m, and a 13m Best Kites (my friend is lending me three kites while he is out of the country) and I am just wondering if I have to get something bigger, like a 17m.
jakespinder

Postby gregwojtkun » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:19 am

Jake,

Yep... upwind gets better every session out. You really need to get good and confident at this before you tackle deep water IMO. Will also increased your level of stoke and make the beer taste better when finished with a session rather than being pissed you had to bail out and walk your gear back to the take off spot :))) . You will also want to learn the transitions (toe side is best). This way when you tack out, you can quickly swing around and tack back. If you don't have a transition move, then you will need to depower, stop, and then re-water start. Which isn't terrible, you will lose some ground upwind when re-water starting. Im learning the toe side tran right now and its shifted gears for me.

Regarding quiver for Utah... everyone has different opinions and I will refer to the veterans who have been riding here for years. My quiver is 8-11-17. My 17 has good top end and high depower for gusts. Your current set (your friend's) is fine. You may get shut out on low wind thermal days with a 13. Again, I refer to the experienced guys to comment on that.

Regarding a 17m... See my response to your "Should I buy a Helix Quiver?" Question on the main page: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11784 I wrote a novel there about that and how it relates to your skills. Basically, if you want to get out more days... Yes... you will need a 15-17m. $2K new, $800-$1200 used based on year/condition. I have Core XR3 17m. A lot of guys have Ozone Zephyr 17m.
gregwojtkun

Postby jakespinder » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:50 pm

Thanks Greg. You are the MAN!!!
jakespinder

Postby Leo Chan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:45 am

Jake, how much do you weight? Most of the advices are for the average guy/gal. So, if someone is weight 180 lbs, the mid size kite might be a 13. But if someone weights 130 lbs, a mid size kite might be 10. 142 board is mid size board. Good for learning and cruising. For that combination, 142 board and 12-13 meter, I think you can ride about 80% of the time in Utah. When you get better, you can decide if a 15 - 17 meter is right for you. Maybe even a surfboard if you don't want to buy a bigger kite.
Leo Chan

Postby jakespinder » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:24 pm

I weigh 160 and I have a 140 board and a 130 board. What do you think?
jakespinder

Postby Leo Chan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:31 pm

You're about the same weight as I am. I use my 12 meter 80% of the time. I think the two board options should keep you riding for 90% of the time. :-)
Leo Chan

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum