Local site details

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Local site details

Postby EricEinhorn » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:20 pm

Hi. After a couple decades of sailing and/or living in Hood River, I have relocated for the near future in Park City, and not willing to give up sailing, I purchased a windsurf hydrofoil. So far I've only gotten out a couple times, and just missed the reasonable wind at Deer Creek. I started at the kiter's beach, but that's a looooong walk with foil equipment. Then I discovered Charleston Beach, which looks perfect, but the weeds are pretty bad, especially with a foil. I've driven past Island Beach, but it looks rather enclosed by the giant monolith. Where would locals recommend I launch for ease of access and without wind shadow?

It looks pretty good for tomorrow, Saturday, Aug 10 and I was thinking about trying Jordanelle. How does that compare to Deer Creek and what is the best launch site? I've read the site descriptions under "Local Sites" but the details are a bit sparse.

Also, a few weeks ago I left a folding 2 step stool at the kiter's beach at Deer Creek. Didn't get back out there for awhile, and to no surprise it wasn't there. I've heard it might have been turned into somebody named "Spencer" but I don't know how to contact him. Any ideas?

Thanks!
EricEinhorn

Re: Local site details

Postby Craig Goudie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:56 am

Greetings Eric and Welcome to Utah.

There are a few wind foilers here (I am not one of them), most of the foiling I hear about is at Grantsville reservoir
which is a good hour and 15 minutes from Park City out toward
the Great Salt Lake, but people do foil on DC. Your best bet is the Island beach launch (for no wind shadow) on the typical
thermal SW wind. DC is always a little gusty but coming from the Gorge you should be used to gusty.
The Sailboat beach launch(up by the dam) is probably a good option as well, and it gets deep fast up there..

Jim Southwick is an occasional poster here, and I think he has a foil, so he may chime in.

Jordanelle gets similar wind to DC, but not as often.

Looking for Spencer, you might try the facebook group Kiters with Attitude
(you'll have to get a sponser to post there).
He's been known to frequent that group.
The Kiters don't typically check in here (except for the forecast;*)).

Windsurf foiling should be the perfect sport for Utah as there's a lot of
12MPH-15MPH wind here, and a lot of that wind is at DC

-Craig

EricEinhorn wrote:Hi. After a couple decades of sailing and/or living in Hood River, I have relocated for the near future in Park City, and not willing to give up sailing, I purchased a windsurf hydrofoil. So far I've only gotten out a couple times, and just missed the reasonable wind at Deer Creek. I started at the kiter's beach, but that's a looooong walk with foil equipment. Then I discovered Charleston Beach, which looks perfect, but the weeds are pretty bad, especially with a foil. I've driven past Island Beach, but it looks rather enclosed by the giant monolith. Where would locals recommend I launch for ease of access and without wind shadow?

It looks pretty good for tomorrow, Saturday, Aug 10 and I was thinking about trying Jordanelle. How does that compare to Deer Creek and what is the best launch site? I've read the site descriptions under "Local Sites" but the details are a bit sparse.
DeerCreek.

Also, a few weeks ago I left a folding 2 step stool at the kiter's beach at Deer Creek. Didn't get back out there for awhile, and to no surprise it wasn't there. I've heard it might have been turned into somebody named "Spencer" but I don't know how to contact him. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby EricEinhorn » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:03 am

Thanks! From my location at Jeremy Ranch, couldn't I get to Sulfur Creek quicker than to Grantsville?
EricEinhorn

Postby Craig Goudie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:17 pm

I would guess that Sulfur would be closer time wise from Jeremy Ranch. But not by a lot, probably 5-10 minutes.
It takes me about 1 hour and 15 minutes to get from my SLC east side location to Sulfur Creek, and about 50
minutes to get to Grantsville. My recollection is that it takes me about 15 minutes to get to Jeremy from my house,
soooo. It should only take you about 1 hour to get to Sulfur, and about an hour and 5 minutes to get to Grantsville

-Craig

p.s Sulfur can get pretty weeded up by late summer. I don't know how it is up there now.

p.p.s. You may have noticed I don't report Kite sizes in the forecast for either Grantsville or Sulfur.
They're both very gusty, and not the best places to kite, but for foiling they could be awesome, since I
understand once you get foiled up they are really efficient and stay foiled up into very light winds.

EricEinhorn wrote:Thanks! From my location at Jeremy Ranch, couldn't I get to Sulfur Creek quicker than to Grantsville?
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby rob umstead » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:56 am

Hi Eric;

You can find Spenser at the kite beach any day its windy. Green North kite. Grey Nissan Truck. I am sure he will be there today (Sunday). If you can't find find him look for my Toyota that says Uinta Kiting not the side and Ill point you in the right direction.

Rob
rob umstead

Postby aaroniack » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:21 am

FYI - I posted your missing two step ladder on KWA and got no response. The Barb Wire Beach community is pretty good about taking care of left equipment, so it probably got picked up by a non-kiter
aaroniack

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum