6/19 Sulphur 5.5 Sail 115L Board but soon blowed off water

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

6/19 Sulphur 5.5 Sail 115L Board but soon blowed off water

Postby duanekarren » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:47 am

Arrived about 1:00 to Chuck Graham packing up. He had sailed from about 10:30 on a 6. Said it had been pretty steady. Windmeter check was pretty steady at around 20 with lulls to 16-18 and gusts to 27. Pretty consistent wind for Sulphur. Rigged a 5.5 and trip out was pretty good. Chop coming back was rough and was overpowered so up on the shore by the docks and pulled in max downhaul and outhaul and put on a smaller fin to settle down board. Much better ride out but wind was building rapidly. Exploded in the jibe and it took about 6-8 waterstarts and crashes sailing totally sheeted out to make it back. Had to wait for a lull to even attempt a water start. Took my windmeter out on the dock and by now it's 25 MPH min with continuous gusts to 35 and slap in the face gusts which pushed the windmeter to 40 +- IE a 3.5 to 40 Rowena type of day. Smallest sail I had was 4.4 & smallest bd was a 95 L so packed it up and came home. No other sailors. One kiter coming off the N shore but he disappeared while I was trying to make it back in. Used a steamer and was about right when sailing.
duanekarren

Re: 6/19 Sulphur 5.5 Sail 115L Board but soon blowed off wat

Postby Bob Clark » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:45 am

Thanks for the report, heading there today. Sounds like water temps may be too cold for what I got (3/2 full over a vest with a 2 mm beanie), but I'll try anyway!
Bob Clark

Return to Wind Log