3/8 DCCB, 5M/135L

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

3/8 DCCB, 5M/135L

Postby JimSouthwick » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:47 pm

Flickers of wind beginning about 10. Air temp was approaching 50ºF under a sunny sky. Gusts in the mid-twenties coming through when I arrived at the launch. As it was "early days" as far as the wind was concerned and in view of the forecast's mentioning "blowing dust", I rigged conservatively. A mistake :cry: I got a few rides in the gusts, but on the whole a 6.0 would have been a better call. Final wind stats: gusts to 30, average 15.

In marked contrast to the beginning of the season last year, the water level this year is quite low, and the water at the launch is only about knee deep, making for easy beach starts, but nowhere near deep enough for foiling (even with a 24" foil mast) and marginal even for my 17" weed fin.
DC38.jpg

When I arrived, there was an ice-free area from the Midway end of the lake to about half a mile south of the launch, but as the morning progressed the ice sheet drifted north and by noon was directly in front of the launch.

Water temp measured a bit above 45ºF.
JimSouthwick

Re: 3/8 DCCB, 5M/135L

Postby duanekarren » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:44 pm

Looks like you take the honors for opening the windsurfing season here in Northern Utah!! I have been expecting you, Ken or John to post anytime & you didn't disappoint.
duanekarren

Return to Wind Log