5/20 DCIB 6.0M/116L

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

5/20 DCIB 6.0M/116L

Postby vernv » Thu May 20, 2021 8:11 pm

First day of the year sailing in UT was a success. Arrived at 12:30 and it looked to be solid 6.0M conditions. Jim S. and George W. were out along with a couple guys who looked to be in their 20s! Someone needs to explain to them that this is strictly a sport for AARP members. Bob C. pulled in at the same time as me.

I was rigged and on the water in 15 and the setup seemed good. Right on plane and a good couple rips across the lake. Then, the wind started getting fluky. For the next hour it was 2 minutes on, then 5 minutes off. As is typical with the UT sailing experience I had plenty of time to enjoy the scenery and ponder life choices. Everyone else had given up and I was about to do the same. However, I had such an awesome gust coming all the way into the beach that I couldn't resist a gybe and see how long it lasts. Turned out that it lasted an hour. Got quite overpowered at times and practiced survival sailing. On one run I tail-walked, got blown out of the water entirely, landed on my back and carried on with a strapped in water start. Can't say I've pulled that trick off before.

The wind eventually died with me on the far side of the lake. Blew the gybe and sat in the water for 10 minutes. Started to get leg cramps and became a little anxious. Finally resorted to uphauling and managed to limp back to the beach at ~3pm. Really good fun all in all.

Water temp was comfortable with a 4/3 and no booties. Lake level is ~30 feet walk from the end of the concrete ramps. Nice water conditions before algae season.
vernv

Return to Wind Log