Sunday 9/12 Sulfur - don't believe the airport - 6.5/119

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

Sunday 9/12 Sulfur - don't believe the airport - 6.5/119

Postby DimitriMilovich » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:04 am

(Sorry for da late post) That airport meter is 10 meters above ground level, so there you have it. But we all know it doesn't correlate well. Two weeks ago it was sorta close. Sunday it was waaaay windier at the airport (Hey, Evanston, build a lake there, willya?)

Sulfur looked promising with good upper air support and maybe a dryline in NE Utah to help things. Arrived ~2:00 to see a gigantic flock of sheep grazing ... overhead - cumulous everywhere. Pretty, but maybe not as laminar as I'd hoped. Reasonably steady light wind. Saw Pete ____ out on a 6.5 and large Bic cruising back and forth, doing snappy pivot jibes, with some occasional almost-planing spurts. We rigged 6.2 and 6.5, hoping for a repeat of two weeks ago. Doug arrived (our annual SC get-together!) to rig his cool single-skin "snowkite", then Brook, with a 6.0 wing and foil. "Blue Tesla" kiter guy went out on a 12m, just like 2 weeks ago. Wind was light steady, with occasional gusts. J got some planers on her 6.2. Brook pumped himself up and away and cruised around. Doug gave a lecture/demonstration on perpetual motion machines with his little 6.0 kite and slippery foil. I watched in awe.

I went out on the 6.5, still optimistic, but 7.5 was really the call. Got J onto her 7.0 and she was off to the races, getting some good planers. By 4:30, most everyone had left. Doug had sailed his 30 miles or whatever...geez. Then the sheep clouds began to thin and my 6.5 started working. Got some nice long rippers and jibes for about 30 minutes. Thanks for leaving, Doug! About 5:00, high clouds came in, the wind split to SW/NW in the corners and I got J's 7.0 for a few more rides in the fading conditions.

All in all, a lovely afternoon with some rewarding rides at the end. Water is cool and with the clouds we were definitely glad to have our 4/3 full suits. Still no Sandhill Cranes to be seen...
Dimitri
DimitriMilovich

Return to Wind Log