7/31 G'ville 6.5, JP MR 119 Yahoo

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

7/31 G'ville 6.5, JP MR 119 Yahoo

Postby DimitriMilovich » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:14 pm

I noticed Saturday AM it blew at Grantsville so watched it this morning (Sunday). Saw at 6:30 that G'ville South sensor was blowing pretty well. Waited and checked the balloon data for the AM upper air flow, but nothing was posted on the UWyo site until later, so took it on faith that it wasn't just a vulture fanning its wings on the sensor pole and finally headed out. (Gotta find a better Raob data site since NOAA flaked out on theirs a few years ago)

Late start meant on the water ~9:00 but it was great sailing out of the classic G-ville SW (not SE like the station showed, but it's ~500 feet lower, of course). Nicely powered shore to shore until ~10:00 when it started to go more southerly as the mountain wind faded. By 10:30 mostly over. This was two days in a row you coulda sailed at G-ville! (but we didn't go yesterday because it was too late by the time I noticed).

Why is it blowing when the jet stream ain't around and no fronts were coming (yet)? Well, Saturday's upper air showed a layer of double-digit south air flow from just above the surface to ~5000-~6500 feet. Then single digits above there again until quite high. Last night's balloon showed all N flow down low, probably due to the T-storms in the area. Today (Sunday) AM balloon (finally) showed slightly better double-digit flow again from ~5000-~7000 feet. Above that it was single digit all the way to ~30,000 feet!. What gives? Downslope winds draining into the much-reduced GSL thermal battery? A flock of vultures, seagulls, crickets, etc. flapping their wings? Damned if I know, but I'll take a wind surprise anytime. Great to be out there. Shorty wetsuit was just fine. Lake is 100 paces from the rail fence, so not too far.

BTW - there's a new G'ville exit after the Tooele exit. Saves some drive time! (I know, I'm the last to learn this.)

First trip to G-ville in a long time. Not many posts anymore - (please post folks!) - and the new wind sensor just came on line in late March. In any case, wasn't let down and it was great fun!

(hey - just found this: https://www.weather.gov/slc/Aviation ! We'll have to see how punctual it is...)
Dimitri
DimitriMilovich

Re: 7/31 G'ville 6.5, JP MR 119 Yahoo

Postby Josh Shirley » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:23 pm

Good for you.
I was watching it as well.
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Re: 7/31 G'ville 6.5, JP MR 119 Yahoo

Postby obzansky » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:19 pm

Thanks for the inspiring post!