Future UWA

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Future UWA

Postby TripHouk » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:53 pm

Troops,

I hope everyone has been taking advantage of the wind somewhere and beating the heat dome over Utah.
I've lately been giving some thought to the future of the Utah Windriders Association and would like to open a forum for your ideas on the topic.

I know that there are a small group who have provided value to the organization in the past: (thanks, Dimo, Grant, Duane, Craig, Sara, Rick, Josh etc...) however, over time the organization seems to have lost some purpose. Members have largely ceased paying dues and there has been limited participation in any group activities.

It's been proposed by some that it be dissolved and simply maintain the website on a subscription basis. The remaining treasury funds could be donated to some worthy organizations and or fund a giant party. (I like that idea!)

I'd like to request feedback from the members and suggestions about how the remaining resources pe put to good use.

Thanks in advance for your constructive feedback,
Trip Houk
TripHouk

Re: Future UWA

Postby John Dubock » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:38 pm

Trip has a good point. I'm all for paying dues, as Craig alone has saved me countless hours/gas money with his forecasts. We sit on the beach and if Craig is off by say an hour, we question the rotation of the Earth. Each one of us has money for dues, our gear costs thousands, our trips cost as much. Not to lock anyone out, as this Forum has historically been valuable from Day One. Kinda retro, the DOS days look and feel, but ya know what it works.
John Dubock

Postby Craig Goudie » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:14 am

I don't think Dues are an issue (Like John says if you can afford gear, you can afford
dues), I think it's a matter of interest, and unless we have someone driving
organization (and at least 1 function at which to collect dues) it's not likely to
change. Personally, I think we should use whatever funds are left to fund a
"send the SurfRats to Maui campaign" .......... but seriously. I tried to suggest that
the Forecast could just go away due to lack of interest, and got a surprisingly large
response to continue (with a ratio about 60/40 Kiters/Windsurfers which was interesting).

BTW, I don't have the passion for Northern Utah forecasting that I did in my youth,
and like Bart Vervloet, I'd be happy to pass that off, if there were a Timera to pass it to.
She funds her website (the Gorge is My Gym) with advertising, and donations, but until
I retire from real work (which is 6 years away), I don't have the time to manage
something like that (I barely have time for the forecast). Plus, it needs somebody
a little younger with more energy than I have.

Why not just pay for the site with what we have left as long as it lasts, and then
let it die a peaceful death
. The Main Page, The Weather Page, The Forecasts, and
the Wind Log still get some use. I guess I could strip everything else out of the site,
to keep the clutter to a minimum, but is there really any reason to do that?

I've mentioned to Josh, that if there were some way to have those pages show up in the Facebook Utah Windsurfing, that it might get more people on the water, but that is as
far as it's gotten. Several of the current users of these pages have relayed to me
that they don't use Facebook and don't plan to (a somewhat Luddite perspective, but valid). Maybe we could use some of what's left to pay somebody to make those pages
visible in Facebook while retaining them here for the old schoolers.

OK enough rambling,

-Craig

p.s. John, you should trust the planet, long before you trust me ;*)
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Josh Shirley » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:59 pm

There is definitely a generation gap with the software - facebook vs UWA forum.
Because the forum isn't mobile friendly I don't bother posting here.
Whereas it is much more simple to post on the facebook group page from my phone - on the water.
To post images or video on this forum requires a lot of extra steps.

As for the funds - I think this site does have some value and shouldn't be left to die (at least for now)
I would like the club to buy some wind meters for Poopy Lake, DC, and Sulfur Creek.
That would put the money to good use and show members that the funds actually provide improvements and services.
But I don't have the energy for months of debate that would require - just to get it going.

Thanks
Josh
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby Josh Shirley » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:00 pm

One other thought.

I think posting the forecasts on the facebook group page would help out.
Daily feeds -> keep windsurfing in peoples minds.

Thanks
Josh
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby JimSouthwick » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:17 pm

As usual, Craig has, IMHO, nailed it
Why not just pay for the site with what we have left as long as it lasts, and then
let it die a peaceful death.
JimSouthwick

Postby John Dubock » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:02 am

Hey Josh, the DCC and Sundance wind meters are in place and provide solid wind data if you base your driving life around them. Couple speed reading mesos with Sir Goudie and only an Act of God crushes your wind day.

How about considering a Meetup Windsurfing 'day' /weekend this summer at Island Beach? Meetup.com has numbers, communicates fast, gets the buzz going. Very informal so Wagstaff doesn't get upset, (even though they rent crap paddleboards with zero instruction, nor sheparding of rookies). Part of that problem is zero Ranger patrols to herd paddlers out of the danger zone.

With sup there are so many willing newbies that see us 5 hard cores windsurfing and are very curious to at least try windsurfing.
John Dubock

Postby John Freed » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:05 am

Thanks Trip for starting a discussion. My two bits... I would hate to see the UWA website go away. Craig's forecast are INVALUABLE and I would hate to lose them. Having said that, I certainly understand Craig's tiring of the job. How lucky have we been to have him chime in with his daily forecasts for so long. And I can't go on without giving Craig another big THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for all the years of tireless forecasting! If/when Craig decides to move on, it will be a sad day. My two bits would be to use the money we have to try to continue the forecasting, either give it all to Craig in a blatant attempt to coax him into another decade or two of forecasting, or pay someone else to do it (is there such a person out there with an interest, knowledge, time, and with a little training from Craig, who could come in and help us?). I think the daily forecast is the centerpiece of the UWA community, and we should do everything we can to retain it in some form or another. (I know at one time, a couple of local weather forecasters provided a weather forecasting service to local businesses for a fee - obviously they wouldn't have the "on the water" knowledge -- but I'm grasping for ideas...). I personally am not a face booker, so I'm not in favor of going that route for what it's worth. Thanks again everyone for your thoughts, ideas... and again... Dimitri, Grant, Craig, Josh, Rick, et all, a big shout out for your help with UWA... I hope we can continue in some form or another! (By the way, I'm going in right now to pay a year, or two, or three of dues --- not sure if I'm up to date, but if I am, give it all to Craig).
John Freed

Postby Craig Goudie » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:13 am

There seems to be quite a bit of interest in the Forecast, and if the current level of detail (and accuracy) is adequate,
then I'll continue for a few more years, I was just thinking you might get a better forecast from someone more involved
on a local level, I do most of those forecasts from the Gorge these days. Anyway, thanks for the kind words John, and
it was nice to share a few reaches on the river with you. Hope to see you up in HR again soon.

-Craig
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby calebmogul » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:58 am

I've been lurking on this website for about two years since moving to Kamas from SW Colorado. Finally got around to paying my dues after reading this thread, sorry I hadn't done it sooner. This site has been invaluable for a guy new to the area. Tons of great info on the launches, weather, and especially the forecast! For me the forecast is a great place to start before delving deeper into various forecasts. It's a rare day that I'm not working and the wind is blowing but it's been fun exploring the waters in the surrounding area and this site has certainly made things easier for a newbie to the region. There is a surprising amount of variety in the region and thanks to this site,I've yet to get skunked.

It would be a shame to see this site fade away. we always talked about reviving the sailing scene in the four corners region thru a website, and better yet organize funds for wind meters... But never got further than a simple Group email list in which we'd post , hey it's gonna be windy heading to lake....

Great job running the site and thanks for helping me score some great sessions here in Utah.
calebmogul

Postby RickHeninger » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:46 pm

I echo all the gratitude of all those before who made the organization a fun addition to our passion for wind.The organization inherently has always had dynamics. Change is the only constant. I have learned a few valuable lessons. :|| ;)) ... Would do the same intent, different execution with trying to help the organization serve all. Now looking forward.

Craig, thanks for sticking with it.

I get an email quarterly that the 1and1 (Webhost company) subscription is going to automatically renew and that the $73.39 will be deducted from the PayPal account. (correction: $51.78 plus $21.57 extended php4 support until we update). For the past few years or so, that is the ONLY expense that the organization has had. The paypal account is set up to transfer funds over to the AFCU account which we do from time to time... EDIT: There have been around 15 memberships paid in 2016... Because the $50 payment is available for "Sponsors" we need to post those two "Sponsors" for 2016: John Freed and Ralph Sorbonne. Thanks to all.

We should go one way or the other with the UWA. I have kept an eye on the wheel. Thanks, Vern, Craig. Trip, Josh, and myself are still on the AFCU account. Trip would like to get off. Please contact us if you are willing and able to step into his or other's role.

The php version is outdated... blah blah... I am sure we can figure out how to reduce that subscription price. Or use a free service... Craig or Josh, take it to the next place... Be that heaven or other!

Craig Goudie wrote:Why not just pay for the site with what we have left as long as it lasts, and then let it die a peaceful death.

Peaceful sounds nice... There are enough people paying dues to cover that subscription. Therefore, it WON'T die! :))) Honestly, Thank You to those of you who keep paying, good on you! As I said it isn't being wasted. Just not earning superb interest.

...Shifting gears: I am sure if there were the enthusiasm there, Sarah Ranes will always pull a Sulphur Creek campout together.

Windlogging: I got a session in Maui this summer. While outside of the break at Kanaha I saw a loggerhead turtle that was as big as my board! Trying to pull off a late Gorge sesh!

Oh, I have gotten a couple of Utah sessions this year. 8)

Peace to you, Rick.
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Postby Sarah Ranes » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:59 pm

I support the idea of using the uwa funds to keep the forecast and website happening, as long as we can. This of course,
only happens as long as Craig can tolerate taking the time to do it. I know it's not much, but I also support paying
Craig's iwindsurf annual fees, as a small compensation, for his time doing the uwa forecast.

As a note for NON Facebooker's 1- you don't really have to use it for anything other than Josh's ws page (which he does
a great job with) 2- you can open an account under your dogs name if you want, and no one knows who you are. Just a
thought.
Sarah Ranes

Postby John Dubock » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:52 pm

I second Sarah's ideas, but its not realistic to expect her to whip up a Sulphur event as those days are gone. Upside is with Facebook you get instant, live wind reports if you're considering sailing. Its free, and yes there is something wonderful about Craig posting at 9am every day. Its a visual sport, and FB allows for video, pics. My grandmother is on Facebook! (course she's been dead for 14 years, but so what) The message board is retro, so I vote for paying for Craig's services as its a gas saver, a marriage saver, time saver, I could go on. Plus we get to blame Craig if Deer Creek shuts off 20 mins early.

The upcoming generation of windsurfers will been using FB, if we expect to sell them our used gear. Josh is feeling it, the sup people are a bit bored paddling in circles at 5mph, and an 8 knot day means stick a sail on it and take on a whole new world. So I see future Meetup's where the new generation will be stoked to get some mentoring.
John Dubock

Postby Craig Goudie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:06 am

What we need to figure out is how the daily forecast entered here on this site can also display on Utah Windsurfers facebook page without duplicating it. There must be a way to do that. Then everybody is happy
(including me). Maybe I can look into that this Winter when I'm not working, sailing, or playing with my grandkids.

-Craig
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Return to Main Message Board