BWB access clean up Sat 10/8 9am

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

BWB access clean up Sat 10/8 9am

Postby rob umstead » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:38 am

I have been in discussions with the DNR and State Park about organizing a clean up day to make the access at BWB better. Please put October 8th on your calendar and come down and help out. I would like to get rolling at 9:00am with the hopes of being able to hit the water that afternoon when the wind kicks up. There is some paperwork that must be signed by all who Volunteer and I will have that available first thing.

Right now it looks like all we can do is cut the willows down and back. The park is checking on weather or not we would be able to use a backhoe to dig out roots but that may require a permit from the Army Corp of engineers. I also brought up the idea of a controlled burn and this may be something that the Park is willing to do down the road but not right now.

The project will be kept simple with the goal of widening the current path as well as trying to reclaim some of the shoreline to the N. of the path. We will cut these shrubs right at the ground level with the hope they die off during the winter freeze and while underwater next spring. We have permission to use the park dumpsters for the branches, however I do not think they will handle all that we need to cut. I have been told that the Heber Dump will take organic material so if anyone has a Pick up or trailer please bring it down. We will also need sheers, pruners, tarps, ect. We are not allowed to drive vehicles past the high water line so we will have to drag the debris out. If we have enough people it would be great to have a crew picking up trash,glass,hazards out on the exposed lake bed too.

I hope that we can get a large turnout and get this done quickly. The more people the more brush we can remove. Help preserve our launch. 9AM Saturday Oct 8th :)))
rob umstead

Re: BWB access clean up Sat 10/8 9am

Postby Mike Hill » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:16 pm

The dump will take any material, but it has to be paid for by the ton. Perhaps we can stock pile it for the eventual burn. You should also post this on KWA.
Mike Hill

Re: BWB access clean up Sat 10/8 9am

Postby rob umstead » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:42 am

Awesome job everyone who came out. In 4 hours we cleared quite a runway down there and removed about a ton and 1/2 of brush. Next spring we will be enjoying the results of our hard work. Special thanks to everyone who shelled out there own $$ to rent equipment to help with the work. Your investment in our kite launch is appreciated. Sorry the good Karma wind never kicked in yesterday but it looks like the next couple of days we will get it.
rob umstead

Return to Main Message Board