Wanted: intermediate/all around rig

List windsurfing gear you have to buy and sell. Ads are automatically removed after 6 months.

Moderators: Josh Shirley, Craig Goudie, RickHeninger

Forum rules
-Sell or give away whatever you consider pertinent to windsurfing.
-Please delete what you've sold, or update your post after 3 months. (unless the post is as interesting as Jason Morton's Liquidation sale!)

Wanted: intermediate/all around rig

Postby Shawn Henderson » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:59 pm

15 yrs ago i gave up on windsurfing. Now I want to get back in. I was just getting used to my cousins shortboard when it all came to an end, so now what? I have noticed alot has changed and I need advice. :?? I hope to find something a 6' 190 lb adult could uphaul if the wind dies down without sinking too quickly. I expect to be waterstarting right away, but It has been a while so who knows. so what should I be looking for? 125-150 litre board? I imagin smaller would be better, but how small is too small? I am willing to buy a new rig, but I would like to start slow and find something used if possible. That way the wife doesnt freak out too much. :oo So, If you know of any used equipment that might work or can give me advice on what to look for, please let me know. Shawn

P.S. I live in north orem and will be sailing out of lindon beach by the Geneva cooling ponds anyone else aroung the area?
Shawn Henderson

Re: Wanted: intermediate/all around rig

Postby RickHeninger » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:10 pm

Shawn,

Great to hear that you're getting back into windsurfing. It's better than ever with all the new equipment.

Ya know, I would look for a relatively wide board in the 115L range for Utah. That's a good intermediate volume to start at. It'll serve you in most conditions and with any sail really. Some might disagree and suggest 135+, and I don't knock that size board, I'm just saying if I were to have ONE board here it'd be in that range. I know that a lot of people are selling really good boards in that range. Compare prices on Windsurfing Classifieds like windance etc. Later a great second board is one in the 95L range. When you do get your board, make sure to get out to the mornings sessions at Grantsville. You'll progress very quickly out there and if you ask anyone for advice they'll give it to you. People don't really want to impose their advice on you usually out of courtesy. But if you ask we're all happy to help.

Most people, on a North sail either out of Provo Boat Harbor (a little bit bigger swell on a full north) Pelican Bay Marina (a little closer to SL)... On a south, mile marker 19 as far as Utah lake goes. Deer Creek is always having people out. Check out www.livelakeview.com for live cams on many of the locations.

Good luck and we'll see you on the water.
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Postby Mike Egan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:12 am

I have a 2005 AHD f-type 160 liters I'm thinking about selling. Great freeride board.
Thanks Mike
801-502-3217
michael egan
Mike Egan
Windsurfer

Postby Mike Hill » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:00 pm

Shawn, I have a great free formula 136 I think would work great. $300. OBO. I live two blocks from DC so I'd let you take it for a ride anytime. Take the short cruise from the valley. Call 435-654-2354. C 435-671-7522
Mike Hill

Postby Josh Shirley » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:11 am

here are my suggestions:

1 - Don't buy race anything. Especially race sails. They have cams with big sleeves that carry a lot of water. So getting it out of the water is a back breaker.
Used sails newer then five years old. X ply or better is a must.

2 - The most commonly used sail size across the US is .... Any guesses, anybody? ..... 6.0 meters. So find a 6.0 or there abouts. If that is your one and only sail then you will be able to sail many days. No not all the days but many days. The second sail size to go for would be either a 7.5 or a 5.0. Go bigger if you can only sail at Deer Creek and Utah Lake. Great places to look for cheap good sails - http://www.windance.com - or iwindsurf -http://www.iwindsurf.com/classifieds.iws

3 - Board recommendations - 135 liters to 155 liters freeride board. You will sail many many days here in Utah with that type of board.
If you want a brand new board that will last a long time and be great for intermediates then get a RRD Evolution http://www.robertoriccidesigns.com/y13/#home.windSurfing.raceAndRide.360evoasa I think you could get one at isthmus sail boards right now for $800 including shipping. http://www.isthmussailboards.com/prodin ... r=RRD8EEDB
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby Steven Nyhus » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:29 pm

Shawn,
I have sailed a free formula 136 and it will work just fine for your size and weight (I am the same size). I would suggest that you give it a try. I have a free formula 157 and I would actually like a smaller one myself. Great board at a great price! I am also in Orem, (by Cascade Golf Course). Welcome back it is still as much fun as it ever was!
Steven Nyhus

Re: I have a board now what?

Postby Shawn Henderson » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:13 am

Thanks everyone for all the reply's and advice and thank you mike! (I am the proud owner of Mike's Free formula 138.) I think it will be a good steping stone and a light wind option when I graduate to a sinker. If not for so many people suggesting a free formula, I never would have considered it. this sport has really progressed. I cant wait to get out on the water!

So now I need the rest of the gear. Do I need a PFD? (I dont want to get a ticket from the lake police, unless its for speeding :twisted: ) A helmet? (or is that just for big air?) here is the list: ~6.0 sail 2002 or newer? whats x-ply?, what materials are inferior? 460 mast?, extension, foot, boom, a shorter fin? (The board came with a 56cm and I dont want to bottom out in the middle of utah lake!) and a dry suit. Anything else? Again if you know of any used stuff, or have valuable advice Please do not hesitate. thanks, Shawn
Shawn Henderson

Postby Steven Nyhus » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:10 am

Shawn,
Excellent choice on the board. It will serve you well here in Utah. A 460 mast is a good start, there are probably a few out there that you can pick up. On that mast you can probably use sails in the 6.4 to 7.5 range. If you only have one sail for a while I would suggest something in the 7.0 or 7.5 range for this area as the one you will use the most. FInd a sail and then you can determine what boom and mast base you will need. Your fin should be good for sails from 6.5 to 9.0 and Utah lake has to get pretty shallow to bottom out the fin (you just need to be careful when you get close to shore). A PFD is not required and a helmet is a good safety item (I wear one so my wife doesn't worry to much about me getting hurt). A wet suit is a good idea especially in the spring and fall. Personally, I have a full suit and a shorty suit and a pair of booties. Some people have a dry suit and are able to extend their season by a couple of more months. There are many people here on the board that have gear for sale or know where you can get some at a good price and will be able to help you out.
Hope to see you on the water soon. Watch the forecast for the fall thermals at Deer Creek, usually good wind and nice clean water.
Steven Nyhus

Return to Windsurf Buy/Sell