Any Updates on the Gorge for this summer?

A place to ask your questions or give up your secret tips about the Columbia River Gorge

Any Updates on the Gorge for this summer?

Postby donna eshel » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:34 am

Whats Up?
donna eshel

Re: Any Updates on the Gorge for this summer?

Postby radshirley » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:07 am

Hey Craig,
Thinking about going up to the gorge this week. Your forecast are always pretty accurate for Utah.
Wondering what you think it will be doing 7/30 - 8/3
thanks,
Rad
radshirley

Postby Craig Goudie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:13 am

Hey Rad, I think it will be windy, with 7/30 the least windy of the next few days.The Gorge has been unusually windy this year.
My 3.7 has already seen more days than it did in the last 2 years,
and there have been a few days when big guys were on 3.2s. I'm guessing the water is up around 72 at the Hatchery,
and probably 74 out at Doug's. The forecasters (bless their hearts!) up here, have underestimated the wind about 70% of the time,
and in the last 3 weeks I've seen no-wind forecasts turn out to be 4.2. Tomorrows forecast for the Hatchery is 16-20. Under those
conditions I would normally ride a 5.7 and a big board. I expect tomorrow I'll be on a 4.7, and a small board. The current
has been pretty normal this year, i.e. about 2MPH at the Hatchery, and while I haven't been to the Wall yet (Thursday
looks promising), the word on the street is that the current up there is its more typical 5 MPH. There were some rainy
spells in June, but the weather appears to be much more summer like now. Most of my own tribe
is up here, and there are a lot of other Utah people as well. It is also less crowded this year, than any time I've seen it
in the last 22 years.

You're gonna need a 7M Kite, and maybe smaller.

-Craig
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby radshirley » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:28 am

Craig Goudie wrote:Hey Rad, I think it will be windy, with 7/30 the least windy of the next few days.The Gorge has been unusually windy this year.
My 3.7 has already seen more days than it did in the last 2 years,
and there have been a few days when big guys were on 3.2s. I'm guessing the water is up around 72 at the Hatchery,
and probably 74 out at Doug's. The forecasters (bless their hearts!) up here, have underestimated the wind about 70% of the time,
and in the last 3 weeks I've seen no-wind forecasts turn out to be 4.2. Tomorrows forecast for the Hatchery is 16-20. Under those
conditions I would normally ride a 5.7 and a big board. I expect tomorrow I'll be on a 4.7, and a small board. The current
has been pretty normal this year, i.e. about 2MPH at the Hatchery, and while I haven't been to the Wall yet (Thursday
looks promising), the word on the street is that the current up there is its more typical 5 MPH. There were some rainy
spells in June, but the weather appears to be much more summer like now. Most of my own tribe
is up here, and there are a lot of other Utah people as well. It is also less crowded this year, than any time I've seen it
in the last 22 years.

You're gonna need a 7M Kite, and maybe smaller.

-Craig

Thanks, Craig. Maybe I'll see you up there then. I'll be on an old rutger and old northwave sails hopefully 4.2-4.7 : )
radshirley

Return to Gorge Q&A