Where to camp before/during/after the Gorge drive?

A place to ask your questions or give up your secret tips about the Columbia River Gorge

Where to camp before/during/after the Gorge drive?

Postby John Dubock » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:09 am

SLC to Stevenson, WA is one long truckin' ride...Any secret spots to camp once you're blurry eyed, talking to oneself, and wondering why Idaho isn't 3 smaller states vs one big boring state?

I've tried the mini camp at Baker City, Farewell Bend, KOA Mountain Home, and something in the forest 3/4 of the way to Pendleton. Summer isn't as easy as winter camping, the hordes are out, once can't show up late and expect lodging.

The map from Palma, ID to Bend, OR is sparse for camping spots, thats another side option...
John Dubock

Re: Where to camp before/during/after the Gorge drive?

Postby Craig Goudie » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:49 pm

Hey John,

Whenever I was forced to stop it was Farewell bend, but if you make it over the mountains,
I recommend 3Mile canyon on the Oregon side. Camp in the parking lot, and if you're lucky
sail the next day in some of the Gorges sweetest and largest long period swells.

Or, you can park and Camp at the Avery West location (also known as AverX). This is really close
to the train, and not recommended for the faint of heart (or those who sleep light), but there are a couple of camp spots
there, and if you're presented with a Southwest wind, some excellent B&J sailing right from the camp spot. Look on the below map, where you see the farthest left most launch. The camping is in the same location.

Stuart and I were at AverX about 3 years ago and got some great rides, I haven't been to 3Mile since I
bought the condo in HR(we almost never make it out past The Wall these days).

John Dubock wrote:SLC to Stevenson, WA is one long truckin' ride...Any secret spots to camp once you're blurry eyed, talking to oneself, and wondering why Idaho isn't 3 smaller states vs one big boring state?

I've tried the mini camp at Baker City, Farewell Bend, KOA Mountain Home, and something in the forest 3/4 of the way to Pendleton. Summer isn't as easy as winter camping, the hordes are out, once can't show up late and expect lodging.

The map from Palma, ID to Bend, OR is sparse for camping spots, thats another side option...
3mile.gif
3 Mile
3mile.gif (5.83 KiB) Viewed 4763 times
avery.gif
Avery
avery.gif (8.13 KiB) Viewed 4761 times
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin