UWA Donation to the Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association

A place to ask your questions or give up your secret tips about the Columbia River Gorge

UWA Donation to the Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association

Postby RickHeninger » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:42 pm

Thanks to the wisdom of Duane Karen who really pushed the idea along with Grant and others, we voted last year to make a $500 donation to the Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association and these are the thank you certificate and letter from them. She refers to "windsurfers" but by that she means all paying UWA WindRIDERS! ;)

The CGWA deals with a surprising number of issues to deal with launch sites and other controversial situations. It's not to say that we'll donate every year. However, they've had some serious issues this last year with the Hatchery Development, the Doug's Railway dispute, the Hood River Event Site Delta issue (helping to keep the peace between all parties involved), to mention a few... And next time we do something like this we'll need to split it up between CGKA and CGWA. Or maybe they should become the CG Windrider's Association!? I'm proud that we voted to do this.

So, whether you are under a kite or in front of a sail! If you've ever been a contributing UWA member... It's made a difference...

Thanks.
http://image50.webshots.com/750/7/33/52/2137733520069587325ZGhwid_fs.jpg

http://image24.webshots.com/665/9/49/1/2750949010069587325bvYVsz_fs.jpg

RickHeninger
Site Admin

Re: UWA Donation to the Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association

Postby bordy » Mon May 19, 2008 9:23 am

Rick,
Several of the kiters, myself included would love to look at some of the issues we have here in UT. From watching our all of our UL launch sites and beaches get littered with pallet fires, and such trash that they are almost unusable to all but the pallet burning hicks.

Many of the windriders spend hours cleaning up these spots only to return the next day to the same site to discover more nails and beach litter, We have expressed concern to the local sheriff and county sheriff, We have called both deparments while watching pallet fires being set up on the beach, but have never had a officer show up on site to stop a fire, even though the burning of pallets is not allowed in Utah county. Many off us have faced groups of young kids who sometimes are very cool to deal with but can also be not so cool. We also witness some improvments at local launch sites that hinder kiting at that spot. The LB launch has had several young trees planted this year, In just a year or two these trees are going to decrease the saftey of the launch and the limited the area to less experanced kiters.

Rush lake had the issue with the fence, not to mention the water level is clearly being managed somewhere that has decreased the level by half and made the puddle usable for only a few weeks this season.

As a windsurfer I felt as though my needs at any launch where much less then as a kiter. I recently read a thread by a kiter new to UT who had used this site to help them find a spot to go kite. How ever when they got to the spot they where shocked by the condition, and challenge nessacary to launch there.

At several spot world wide kiters are facing issues requarding access and saftey issue brought about by never uniting enough to maintain and police these spots them selves. I fear that this may become a issue to the community here in UT also and would like to attept to manage our spots. Any way the UWA is willing to help would be great.

As much as I love the gorge It is hard to see some of our dues go out of state when there are issues in our local kite community that may go unnoticed by several board members who are windsurfers who don't use the same launches since our requirements are so different. Any help, ideas, thoughts etc. would be great.
bordy

Postby RickHeninger » Wed May 21, 2008 7:17 am

Billy,

Wow... I didn't see this post till now... read the whole post before concluding (long answer or response better stated, sorry, no time to edit either!) :roll:

Hmmm...???!!! This is quite complex... And I know most people were probably wondering how I was going to approach this... Because I'm sure many of them (you) who have read this were waiting for the show, the Spectacular even, for those of us who stick our necks out for the betterment of our sports. That's unecessary, as it's against my grain to try to manuever or calculate, so I'm doing everything possible to avoid stupid drama over your well-taken comments, at least by me.

However, you may not realize, lately nobody has made a real issue of these things till now! However, the napes of crimson pallet burners have flared up every couple years, and I guess we just finally have accepted that the pallets and couches will burn, and we will clean up... And quite honestly, the Gorge over the last couple years has had HUGE issues to deal with and still will... We live closely enough to the Gorge that I will beg to differ with the opinion that the Gorge isn't our backyard. It's pretty close to that or at least our vacation home backyard. IMHO. And that's one contribution that we've made in 20 years (if I'm not mistaken), and it was probably high time we stepped up to do it?! Also, you probably should be aware that the previous officers were in position when it was made, although I full heartedly voted for it at the annual meeting I attended when it was proposed last year. Fifty or so others present there at the meeting, voted unanimously to do it. (present being the key)

That said, I genuinely appreciate your comments. I've been waiting for a while actually to see somebody step up and voice some genuine concerns about Utah Lake, and for that matter our sailing/kiting sites here in Utah. I don't know of many people who have been more anxious about getting that freaking lake cleaned up than a few of us who are now officers in the UWA. I am actually psyched to hear you're amped on this... And we've been making some noise and no good deed goes unpunished!

A wise man once told me, There's no offense given if there's none taken. If anybody takes offense to what I'm about to write, you've misunderstood me... I am going to have to say without reserve that most of the money that is in the account and I would guess at least 90% was given by people who were windsurfers at the time. I respect that some are now kiting or doing both. But I think it needs to be with respect to that fact, that we move forward. If the kiting community is becoming more proactive in the UWA as an organization, paying the piper by renewing memberships, great, $12. We used to pay a lot more when we had to pay for the Rocky Point key. It really has been getting better, but I do have to admit that a majority of kiting UWA members haven't needed to renew their memberships with the UWA. Kiting was so new that it really didn't need the organization to propagate. Like windsurfing in its early days. It was really cool at this annual meeting to see it even out a bit.

We don't have a ton of money in the account to work with as far as any legal costs go... Around 4 g's... As the UWA officers we've tried to be more proactive to see if the apathy would subside. Um, its trying to subside somewhat... When I posted on who could be at a clean up party last summer, there were NOT many responses if any... So I simply encouraged small cleanups everytime we're at the lake. There are a few issues at Utah Lake...

Access, for example, I have a call in to a couple officials asking what law is in place to guarantee access to the water on Utah lake. I would like to see a requirement that every 3/4 of a mile or so an easement of some sort that guarantees access to Utah Lake. Some developers have blocked off a road that was a little access point north of Rocky Point. I've never been on that road to access but some have. Also, I know I've been having conversations with Ty Hunter for a few years about the pallet burning red neckedness thats goes on there. They like to say, well, the police forces aren't being paid enough. So that is a complicated issue. But they are working on it.

Anybody, feel free to do the footwork, to find out information that can help. When it comes to something that we can do, the UWA will do everything we can to help. Writing letters has to be many individuals... Not just one representative. When the president of a club writes a letter to an agency or politician, they assume it's one overzealous officer! When a bunch of different individuals write letters they realize it's an issue. So, I would say, find out who the manager of Lindon is, or of south sandy beach, or of whatever other site, and POST it on the site so that we can all work to help with this issue. For the access issue, the boaters association, the fisherman etc. will be part of that and I have some casual dialogue going with those entities.

However, everything is a double edged sword... Once again, No good deed goes unpunished!... Ridiculous but true, (thanks Craig for introducing me to that great saying a couple years ago! :twisted: )... If we complain too much to the officials that pallets are being burned and what not, they'll simply chain off those access points. Ya know what I'm sayin'?! In fact, I think SSB was chained off for a spell a couple seasons ago... So, we gotta be smart... There's an awesome book that you should get by Phillip K Howard, it's called "The Death of Common Sense in America: How Law is Suffocating America".

Finally, the way I see it, all of those who are UWA officers didn't aspire to HELP with the UWA, we accepted nominations to give others a break. With that in mind, please don't let this post turn into some unnecessary bunion or other thing that requires Preparation H. We can work on these issues peacefully, here, and if there are issues here, they will always take priority over issues in the Gorge. Cool?!

Thanks again Billy, for the passion on these issues. We need more of it. (while keeping peace)... Also, dialogue like this I hope will help to increase awareness for future officers who would like to step up to the plate next year. 8)

Sincerely,
Rick Heninger, and anyone else I speak for.
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Postby bordy » Wed May 21, 2008 10:01 am

Right on Rick,

Since I think I am the only Kiter who has paid their dues every year since I started Kiting it was only fair that I posted some of the Issues we have always been facing here in UT, Thanks for the response and as always the modivation to keep all us windriders happy. With a new water session we are again reminded of many issues that have no affect on the snow session and go unthought of(since our kite community is a bit more year round). Perhaps since I am out and on the beach so offten these item that impare water riding are more personal to myself then others. I really posted in a hope to remind some of the officer in the UWA that some of the kite spots go over looked since the are "kiter only". And I don't think any of our kite officers ride them anymore.

I think I fear the seperation of windsurfers and kiter in the State like I see other places, And with a group like the UWA in place to aid us all I wanted to keep us Kiters on the map. With out outstepping the ideas of the UWA or jepordizing the accses to any spot by contacting state or county officals as to why there are nails everywhere etc....

I also wanted to comment that I don't disagree with money going anywhere when its voted on by the board, If that was the case I would just stop paying dues. I would love to see some help here in UT where I am riding wind and ripping kites and cutting up my feet and getting yelled at by fisherman daily. Plus as the only guy really teaching kiting in the summer I like to promote the website as a valuable tool for all windriders. I really want to give new wind junkys the chance to have a great time riding here in UT, Where as now It seems like so many people "settle and put up with" all the downers about riding here since they are so devoted. All winter long I meet people who are snowkiters but travel out side the state all water sesson becuase the feel its not worth the effort, or the launches suck, or the waters bad, etc. We have so many diamond in the ruff spots that just need a little polishing to shine again. I just can't do all the polishing my self.

Thanks for everything,
Billy

P.S. I never edit forum post either.
bordy

Postby RickHeninger » Wed May 21, 2008 5:02 pm

Derek Sayers organized a few major cleanups that went pretty well... You're right, I don't go to all the kiting spots. I've been to SSB once but the wind wasn't good enough to windsurf that day... It seems people need to be given the charge to organize stuff because they don't want to look overzealous or something... Tons of UWA dudes have trucks, if you want to organize a work party, that'd be awesome. In fact, find names and numbers of the managers of those locations and tell them if they have the trucks, you'll supply the labor... Maybe suggest signage about littering and fines for leaving behind litter. Relatively inexpensive signage is something the UWA could buck up for.

The nature of windsurfing and kiting does lend a little separation but as long as there's not animosity, when it comes down to the important stuff, we'll have strength in numbers. It's a changing dynamic too. I mean Snowkiting has exploded in the last few years etc. etc. The UWA potential is a mystery.

A few years ago I sketched a roughdraft of an idea for gravel beach area at Provo Boat Harbor. It had a grassy area like the event site at the Gorge, north of PBH. It had a sideways rock jetty to break up waves then inside it was a pretty long gravel beach, w/sand out of the water between the gravel and grass. I sent it to the Park manager. He liked the idea but of course money is a big issue. Hopefully with in the next ten years they will figure out a way to make that lake more functional in the way of recreational use... Write as many letters as possible.
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Postby tjacques » Thu May 22, 2008 9:52 pm

you guys rock!!! 8)
Rick i would vote for you any day.
You too billly!
we all need to work on our launchs. every rider has a duty to come up with ways to secure our launchs. I picked up 5 bags of trash at deer creek kite launch last year, 90% broken glass.. :evil:
getting the managements blessing to help enforce there property is smart; i.e.. signs, clean up parties, etc...
keep the topic alive. My fear is that kite launchs will slowly be jeopardised in the future. maybe some windsurf launchs to boot. one bad accident could deny access. in florida and many other communities you must have a " ticket or insurace" to kite, Austrailia. we should look at this as a group???? it might be smart to be proactive?
:mrgreen:
tjacques

Return to Gorge Q&A