debating on anniversary at gorge

A place to ask your questions or give up your secret tips about the Columbia River Gorge

debating on anniversary at gorge

Postby Jake-wright » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:58 pm

hi everybody, I've never been to the Columbia river gorge before and from what i hear its quite the place. I'm trying to talk my wife into an anniversary trip up there so i could at least see it and hopefully kite there. What are your opinions on a safe location to kite, nice place to stay, and also is september a good month for wind up there? i assume the water is quite cold by then, but i'd brave it if it is do-able.
Jake-wright

Re: debating on anniversary at gorge

Postby Craig Goudie » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:56 am

Hi Jake,

Safe places to Kite? Hmmm, a lot of people Kite the Sand bar which is just now making
an appearance, after some very high water, and there's currently a movement a foot
to make the Event Site a Kiting also location, but just be aware that there are a lot
of Kiters there. Other places which are popular are Rufus and the launch between The Boat
Ramp and Bob's Beach in Stevenson.

The Vagabond Hotel is a nice place to stay and
reasonable, if you can get a room up at the top with a view it's pretty spectacular.

September is usually good until about mid month, then a little more iffy after that.
The water actually stays pretty warm though September (and October) near 70 degrees.

One of the unique things about the Gorge, is that it has enough current to develop good swells,
but if you've never spent time with current, it's a different experience. If you're down in the
water, even at low current locations, you're going to travel away from your launch.

It is an amazing place, and quite windy, but for beginner Kiters, I'm not sure how friendly
it is. Maybe somebody who is a recent convert like Dave Griffiths or Jim Hornbeck, could
chime in with real experience.

Other physical things to do: Bike, kayak, hang glide, SUP, hike, Summer Snow Ski (some years).
Or, you can sample various wines, and micro brew beers.

It's all good in the Hood.

-Craig

Jake-wright wrote:hi everybody, I've never been to the Columbia river gorge before and from what i hear its quite the place. I'm trying to talk my wife into an anniversary trip up there so i could at least see it and hopefully kite there. What are your opinions on a safe location to kite, nice place to stay, and also is September a good month for wind up there? i assume the water is quite cold by then, but I'd brave it if it is do-able.
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby bob allen » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:33 am

I would stay at the Hood River Hotel, walking distance to all shops, restaurants, and bars. Close to everything, no d.d. required. Also better for your wife is she is not into being your van pet. Good yoga classes, easy bike rides, shopping. All with out driving. The hotel is beautiful, historic, and romantic. Good Luck
bob allen

Postby bob allen » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:34 am

I would stay at the Hood River Hotel, walking distance to all shops, restaurants, and bars. Close to everything, no d.d. required. Also better for your wife is she is not into being your van pet. Good yoga classes, easy bike rides, shopping. All with out driving. The hotel is beautiful, historic, and romantic. Good Luck
bob allen

Postby Jake-wright » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:33 pm

hey thanks bob and craig. Very helpful tips, i really appreciate it. i've been reading non-stop since last week all about the sandbar and i'm pretty much filled in on all of the rules and reg's on launching there. I'm still in debate however, because my wife wants to see tahoe....its quite hard to argue with a place like THAT. I might let her win the battle this year so i can guilt her into spending my birthday in july at the gorge next year.
Jake-wright

Postby obzansky » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:54 pm

Jake, regarding the Event site, kites are being launched from the east end this week. About half of the site is being used by kiters.

If your true love likes chilling at the beach, check out the Hood River Waterpark (just west of the event site). Very excellent river beach with sand and out of the wind. Yoga at 9:30am on the lawn. Just enjoy the funny stuff going on. Today the little windsurfing dog had me smiling! He was totally stoked! Got loose from his masters, ran across a few sails and into the water and jumped onto his board. :))
obzansky

Return to Gorge Q&A