50/50 SW end of UL, 9M

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

50/50 SW end of UL, 9M

Postby DaveHubbel » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:04 am

steady wind
Last edited by DaveHubbel on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveHubbel

Re: 50/50 SW end of UL, 9M

Postby David Kyle » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:40 am

Im preaty new myself but from what ive seen lately, noone is hanging out at UL this time of year. DC seems to be producing wind almost every day, verieable it may be. Good company and smart, seasoned riders gather if you need help.
David Kyle

Postby DaveHubbel » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:23 am

Thanks for the invite. I will definitely be out and about more this late summer/fall dut to work and school.
DaveHubbel

Postby bordy » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:49 am

As a newbie you should really seek out the locations that are being kited. The locals here are always finding new spots to kite but on a S wind you would be better off going to lindon and launching in the water with a friend at UT lake but as you may have noticed no one kites there on a S unless they are experanced riders. Also the Idea of a new kiter out in a area alone is just scary, We have had injurys and lost a friend here in UT. Lets stay safe out there. When it comes to kiting, saftey in numbers is a good rule. All it takes is one issue with any one person and it jeapordizes everyones access to our kite spots. Try Lincoln beach on a N wind stay home on the gusty S wind at UL, or drive the thirty minutes to DC for a south......
bordy

Postby DaveHubbel » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:55 am

b-
I wholeheartedly agree. In fact I hope that my next trips out are lessons with you towards the end of the season when the N winds return. My wife and I are both interested.

I have one question: What width/size board would you say would make a good dedicated light-wind twin tip for a 110 lb. woman here?
DaveHubbel

Postby bordy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:44 am

Most light wind boards are based on a light wind shape so size for a lighter women is less relevent since the idea of any light wind board is to be big and plane fast. Plus if its for your wife, do you plan on sharing it also? The best light wind boards I have ridden are the glide from Slingshot, THe crazyfly light wind boards(which do come in some sizes) and the door series from spleene. I think the glide maybe the best light wind option becuase its very easy to ride in light wind and it works great with any rider weight! If you are going to share boards with your wife then a large mid size board in the 135-140 range with a width of 40 or more is a good solution for the days you want to both ride. You on the light board her on the mid board. These are of course just outlines that are varabile depending on your weight and kite sizes also. Owning a glide in UT is a smart move. for any rider.
bordy

Return to Wind Log