Hood River Bridge Size Limit

A place to ask your questions or give up your secret tips about the Columbia River Gorge

Hood River Bridge Size Limit

Postby bigwavedave » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:47 am

This may sound weird but I'm wondering what the vehicle size limit is for the Hood River Bridge. Seems like I recall semi's crossing it but my brain is like a sieve. I ask because I'm thinking about converting an airport style shuttle bus into somewhat of an RV for when we take the kids on road trips and I want to make sure something that size will be allowed on the bridge.
bigwavedave

Re: Hood River Bridge Size Limit

Postby Craig Goudie » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:28 pm

I personally have been behind (and even more scary headed towards) large Semis hauling logs over that bridge.
I've never seen them run 1/2 a prefab house over there though, I doubt it'd fit through the toll gate, so if your
vehicle's width is less than a Peterbuilt, you should be OK.

-Craig
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Sarah Ranes » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:00 am

We had our van mirror busted, by a wike load like that on the bridge, so make sure you pull them in. I know that Sharon has lost her mirrors on her UPS Truck several times. Including her passanger side mirrors on the truck. Now she stops and pulls them all in. We have also taken our travel trailer across a couple of times, and it's a bit scarry, how close you have to keep the passenger side to the rail. We all know RV's and trailers are made like Barbie Houses, you don't want to bump them, or you will loose a side. Good Luck!
Sarah Ranes

Postby brian.doubek » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:05 pm

just launch at the hook and sail upwind to the hatch.
brian.doubek

Postby RickHeninger » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:21 pm

RickHeninger
Site Admin

Return to Gorge Q&A