9/29 DCBB 13m

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

9/29 DCBB 13m

Postby Ralph Morrison » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:09 pm

I went for a daily double today, started at Rockport in the morning then Barbwire for the afternoon. Really good day at Deer Creek. Way powered on the 13, Spencer was making his 9 work. Good weekday turnout. Huge jumps going on. Nice swell. No boats.
Ralph Morrison

Re: 9/29 DCBB 13m

Postby JimSouthwick » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:14 pm

Also an excellent session for poleboarders at DCIB, at least for those who arrived early. Pete Larson and I arrived a bit before 1 and got some screaming reaches in reasonably steady wind (by DC standards.) Paul Bradshaw and Steve Nyhus arrived a bit later and spent a greater percentage of their sessions dealing with the increasingly punchy conditions; Paul said he felt like he'd been in a bar fight. An anemometer on the beach measured one gust at 45mph.

Sept2909.jpg
JimSouthwick

Postby Steven Nyhus » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:34 am

I got there at about 2:30 and started out ok on the 6.2. Like Jim said it got real punchy I was actually riding back toward the beach when the 45 mph gust came through. What a ride that was! Between about 3:30 and 4:00 I waited to see if it would come back and gusts came from every direction. Finally at about 4 some steadier gusts came from the south west and I got a couple of good rides across and back. By 4:30 there was a big lull, so I decided to pack it in. Looks like I should have tried for the evening session at Lindon.
Steven Nyhus

Postby bordy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:37 am

great day to be a kiter, of course if you trusted steves lame avtar, you would think windsurfers were more evoled, but our kites ate up the gust and it was a great day, with some huge jumps and tricks and high speed reaches had by all, Even Mrs Bordy got back out on DC for the first time since the Baby!

Steve I just gotta ask, Have you ever kited?? Do you have practical experance to back up the claim your avtar is making? Or are you just promoting windsurfing as a more evoled sport based on the fact you think it is better?

I saw the true time line picture of a windsurfer then a kiter being the more evoled, considered it as my avtar here on the Utah windriders site but new it would just be in bad taste since i love riding wind with any one on any gear. as a life long salior and previous windsurfer it just felt lame even though I had done both sports and have made a choice as to which I prefer.

Just had to ask since we have never meet, and your avatar is obviously a put down to your fellow windriders, who by the way are riding gear that goes, faster, higher and currently holds the record for fastest sailing vessal.

Good winds to all!
bordy

Postby John Guay » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:03 am

Bordy send Steven a PM and invite him to join the dialogue! :)))
John Guay

Postby Steven Nyhus » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:31 pm

You have got to be kidding! Sorry if I have offended any one! I just thought it was funny. So as not to offend anyone else, it's gone.

There, I have a new avatar. I sure hope it's not in "bad taste".
Steven Nyhus

Postby Josh Shirley » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:26 pm

Actually neither windsurfers or kiters hold the speed record anymore.

http://www.hydroptere.com/_en/
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby John Dubock » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:28 am

I know Steve Nyhus personally and he doesn't have any beef with kiters. We remaining poleboarders like the Barbwire crowd, you're all great to have on the water at the same time. The fact that we should try kiting is a personal safety issue, not a territorial or ego issue. We can all get along and we do, since we at least at DC watch over kiters safety wise like anyone else in the water. Now about those cookies, I've never had a delivery yet, a lot of promises so far...
John Dubock

Postby jason morton » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:28 am

Personally, I kind of liked Steve's avatar. Bring it back!!!
jason morton

Postby Marty Lowe » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:39 am

ME TO
Marty Lowe

Postby Ralph Morrison » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:04 am

I laughed when I saw it. I even showed it to Sandra. I agree, bring it back.
Ralph Morrison

Postby Todd Jacques » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:54 am

me three. I wish i knew how to make something cool like that.
Todd Jacques

Postby Steven Nyhus » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:13 pm

Well, thanks for the support. Like John said, I have nothing but respect for the kiting community. I think that it is great that everyone is out enjoying the wind, water, and great outdoors. No, I have never tried kiting. It is not because I think windsurfing is superior or anything else, it is simply an issue of safety in my mind. I have seen and heard to many stories of things going very wrong in a slpit second. Yes i know that there are injuries and that even deaths have occured in windsurfing, but I just like being able to let go of the sail and fall into the water if a poltergust suddenly hits. I enjoy watching people out kiting and I appreciate the skill level that many of you have. I think it is a great sight to see 10 to 20 kites out at DC on a busy day and I have no problem sharing the water with anyone. I just hope that we get a few more days this fall to enjoy the wind a water. Who knows, I may bring back the other avatar too.
Steven Nyhus

Postby Emmanuel Pons » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:26 pm

Crap I missed it.
I love a good offensive avatar.
Everything is so PC these days... Bummer ;)
Emmanuel Pons

Postby bordy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:09 am

bring it back, just becuase I thought it was lame and in bad taste doesn't mean you can't keep pimping it.

Its your avtar, Its only a evalution line claiming windsurfers are more evoled, I disagreed,asked you if you had kited, truthfully if you had kited and felt wind surfing was your choice I would have shut up my face. But being very sure you have never kited I saw(and stil see) it as a hack and put down to kiters who also share this board and such. Did you think no one would bring it up when you posted it?

If you want to try kiting we would be happy to start you out, New gear is much safer then ever, the time it takes for some thing to go wrong is the same in any sailing sport, quickly. But the ability to bale and place the out come into your own hands is better then ever. its great to learn on the snow, I know a ton of your windsurfer friends set down the boom and pick up the bar in the winter.
bordy

Next

Return to Wind Log