Dogs ok at the gorge?

A place to ask your questions or give up your secret tips about the Columbia River Gorge

Dogs ok at the gorge?

Postby Mark Johnson » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:28 pm

I plan on headin to the Gorge over the 24th. Just wanted to ask if its ok to bring dogs to the launch sites?
Mark Johnson

Dogs at Gorge

Postby faceshot » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:14 pm

I used to bring my dog to the Gorge. However, in recent years it has gotten so crowded that he's better off at home. Most of the launches are not dog friendly....meaning fido will not have many options for shade and soft ground. It is discouraged by places like the Event site, Swell, Dougs, ect.
faceshot

Dogs at Gorge

Postby Jon Manwaring » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:09 am

Mark,
At Rufus, where we mainly kite, dogs are allowed but only if leashed. If they run loose and the ranger see this, there is a BIG fine, Hot and not much shade.
Jon Mzee
Jon Manwaring

Postby Mark Johnson » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:53 am

Thanks for the info. The plan is to stop on the way up and on the way back for quick rides while visiting my dad in Washington. So I guess the wife will be watching dogs while I kite.
Mark Johnson

Postby hedquista » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:07 pm

I jsut got back from there and they have had very heated discussions about dogs leashes or no leash.

you are allowed to bring dogs and they are required to be on a leash but that isnt always the case. lots of riders let there dogs roam. some stake them down while they ride and come check in on them every once in a while.

If your dog is a bitter or likes to chase kites or their shadows make sure it is on a leash you will not make enemys this way.

hope that helps
hedquista

Postby hedquista » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:08 pm

I jsut got back from there and they have had very heated discussions about dogs leashes or no leash.

you are allowed to bring dogs and they are required to be on a leash but that isnt always the case. lots of riders let there dogs roam. some stake them down while they ride and come check in on them every once in a while.

If your dog is a bitter or likes to chase kites or their shadows make sure it is on a leash you will not make enemys this way.

hope that helps
hedquista

Return to Gorge Q&A