6/24 RUSH SPEED RECORD!!!!

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

6/24 RUSH SPEED RECORD!!!!

Postby jason morton » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:49 pm

10 second average of 44.67 knots/ 51.40 mph.
Peak speed of 45.09 knots/ 51.88 mph.

I have been waiting for years for optimal wind and water levels for the Rush Lake speed strip I found years ago. It was surreal. Perfectly groomed water with a pleasant, green algae bloom just inches under the surface of the cool, spring fed country lake. The wind was blowing 25-30 mph and I was riding a stock 10m North Rebel with my custom Cape Doctor speed board. More wind would have been nice but it was a good introduction for me to some real speed kiting. The speed runs were amazingly easy and simple, but I could tell I was going faster than I have ever been. I took one huge wipe out and came to the realization that it was actually a pretty serious endeavor. I found myself skipping like a flat rock for I'd guess to be 50 ft. Amazingly my peak speed was not much more than my 10 second average. Just consistent, pure speed kiting. This is fastest time recorded in North American waters and I will soon post this to gps-speedsurfing.com. This is also the second fastest American time behind the current world record holder. I'm pretty stoked!!
Last edited by jason morton on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jason morton

Re: 6/24 RUSH SPEED RECORD!!!!

Postby Craig Goudie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:55 pm

That is incredibly fast. Rush might be the new wind powered speed capital of the world.

-Craig

jason morton wrote:10 second average of 44.67 knots/ 51.37 mph.
Peak speed of 45.09 knots/ 51.86 mph.

I have been waiting for years for optimal wind and water levels for the Rush Lake speed strip I found years ago. It was surreal. Perfectly groomed water with a pleasant, green algae bloom just inches under the surface of the cool, spring fed country lake. The wind was blowing 25-30 mph and I was riding a stock 10m North Rebel with my custom Cape Doctor speed board. More wind would have been nice but it was a good introduction for me to some real speed kiting. The speed runs were amazingly easy and simple, but I could tell I was going faster than I have ever been. I took one huge wipe out and came to the realization that it was actually a pretty serious endeavor. I found myself skipping like a flat rock for I'd guess to be 50 ft. Amazingly my peak speed was not much more than my 10 second average. Just consistent, pure speed kiting. This is fastest time recorded in North American waters and I will soon post this to gps-speedsurfing.com. This is also the second fastest American time behind the current world record holder. I'm pretty stoked!!
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Mark Johnson » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:09 pm

Hell Yeah!!! WTG!
Mark Johnson

Postby Josh Shirley » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:41 pm

Amazing! Congratulations Jason.
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby Don Losee » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Outstanding!
Don Losee

Postby Chase.Leibfritz » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:35 pm

Nice work. That's funny too because I was out there this morning and thought to myself about it being perfect for speed runs too. Although I was nowhere near your speed, today was the fastest I've ever been behind a kite (twin tip) with winds in the 35-40 mph range lit on my 10m Ocean Rodeo
Chase.Leibfritz

Postby Ralph Morrison » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:51 pm

Way to go Jason!!!
Ralph Morrison

Postby Jake-wright » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:30 pm

yay! When you go pro can i be your kite caddy? I can pump you up and carry your kites and walk your lines and stuff. I'd be famous!
Jake-wright

Postby Brent Bernard » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 pm

Sweet, congratulations Jason. That's hyperspeed! Luderitz or bust!
Brent Bernard

Postby brian.doubek » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Nice work bro!!
Penny's was only reading 30-ish, just imagine if it were stronger. It's amazing how the weeds completely flatten the chop but don't slow down a twintip. I noticed this on Saturday, going very fast but not feeling the speed because of the smoothness. I wonder if weeds just below the surface can increase lift on the board and reduce drag making for "faster water." Sort of like the effect a plane gets when it's very close to the ground, it gets extra lift by riding on a pillow of air. Any hydro-dynamic physicists out there?

With regard to the spring fed country lake, I think currently the lake is only fed by piss of cows and pigs...I peed in it too.
brian.doubek

Postby Don Losee » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:09 pm

I am in awe Jason. This is a really big deal. And it's a big deal for Utah wind riding. Started shaping my own speedboard tonight, so I can have a crack his record. He has always been fast and efficient. I remember a few years ago when he flew that 15M Ozone 5 line. He was amazing with that thing. He would be ripping past smaller guys on 17s and ruling it.
Jason and others, what are the physics of going this fast?
Don Losee

Postby bradsaxe » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:50 pm

Oh man that is sweeeet. Nice goin Jason. Is it ok that I chuckled a little at the description of the crash? Seriously badass
bradsaxe

Postby bordy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:56 pm

Yup...Mad props Dude.... nicley done. Congrats!!!
bordy

Postby jason morton » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:57 pm

Thanks everyone. Don- You are welcome to look at my board for shape and rockerline. It seems pretty simple. Narrow. Plenty of nose rocker. Single concave. Then flat. With a big cutout to reduce drag. Hydro-physics? There are a lot. I will post those later. To simplify though I no doubt benefited from shallow water with a reduction in drag by as much as 50%. Water acts more like a lubricant at depths less than 50 cm. This comes from the WSSRC(world Speed Sailing Record counsil) website. But this is a GPS deal and not subject to WSSRC rules. I am a beer league speed kiter and have no intention on traveling the globe in search of records like I did 15 years ago. I want to post record level speeds in my backyard, drink some PBR with a hand rolled cigarette after, then go home and back to work the next day.
jason morton

Postby jason morton » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:03 pm

Brad- You are welcome to laugh. I did too a little. A skim board would be WAY FUN at Rush right now btw. A skim board is a good example of how shallow water reduces drag. That analogy is used in the WSSRC rules.
jason morton

Next

Return to Wind Log