Skunked Pineview, Willard Bay, Mantua, and Hwy 83 Feb 24

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

Skunked Pineview, Willard Bay, Mantua, and Hwy 83 Feb 24

Postby Kris Leirfallom » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:37 am

Feb 23 was the Snow day. Feb 24 was a sunny day of fresh powder. I was going to snowkite on Pineview Reservoir at 8:30 am. There was a traffic jam on Highway 12 at the mouth of Ogden Canyon. After 30 minutes of waiting and only moving 5 car lengths the plans change, Skunk 1. Then went to Willard Bay and saw water, birds and THIN ICE, Skunk 2. Then Mantua Reservoir for an attempt and no wind, Skunk 3. I don't think there is ever wind up at Mantua, there were no wind drifts anywhere. From Mantua, I scouted all the way to Wellsville and found one windy spot where the weather station is. There was a fancy restaurant with private parking/trespassing which was the only windy and snowy spot on the road. Finally I scouted the farm fields around Corinne and Bear River City, just west of Brigham City. No Trespassing on everything and there was also a Sheriff patrolling these roads, Skunk 4. It was a tease, the wind was steadily blowing and the fields were untouched powder. Tons of Kiteable area, but NO TRESPASSING. The wind was wonderful at the north end of the Salt Lake as well, probably mid teens and steady. If anyone knows or is a farmer up there please let me know. I hope this helps anyone who is wanting to know about the North Ogden/Brigham City Snowkiting scene.
Kris Leirfallom

Return to Wind Log