8/20 Sulphur Creek 4.5m, slingshot wizard foilboard

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

8/20 Sulphur Creek 4.5m, slingshot wizard foilboard

Postby GregGlazier » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:10 pm

Pretty much sucked!!! After a long wait, 50 % foiling rides for an hour then a massive thunderstorm moved in and that was it; heavy rain, lightning and 40 mph wind gusts all the way back to Evanston...the storm was the best part! Certainly not the best bet for the day, should have went to Grantsville...
GregGlazier

Re: 8/20 Sulphur Creek 4.5m, slingshot wizard foilboard

Postby john@keagy.com » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:50 am

Is there a wind meter at Sulfur Creek? I don't see one on ikitesurf.com.
john@keagy.com

Postby GregGlazier » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:06 pm

Last edited by GregGlazier on Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
GregGlazier

Postby Craig Goudie » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:19 am

Hi John,

There really isn't a great meter for Sulfur Creek. The "Predictor" on the weather page will light up about
2 hours before wind gets to Sulfur, and the 1st Divide station can indicate planable wind there, but it's not close enough
to tell you what to rig, unless it's dead West. I would say that if you see 20-25 on it, you can get planable rides at Sulfur.

Another thing you might want to consider is that the wind at Sulfur is really punchy to Kite on. I don't
put up a Kite size in the forecast for Sulfur, because it just seems really risky to Kite up there. You might
want to PM Mike Rossberg here and see if he responds (you could try Doug Cox, also though I haven't heard from
him in a few years). Mike is a consummate Kiter, and has done a bit of Kiting
up there, but there is a reason why you don't see kiters flocking to Sulfur, you might also want to ask about it
on the Facebook group KWA...Kiters with Attitude
(a closed group, but you can easily find a sponsor, or I can sponsor you)

Good luck,

-Craig

john@keagy.com wrote:Is there a wind meter at Sulfur Creek? I don't see one on ikitesurf.com.
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Return to Wind Log