9/23-24,5.5,8'2"or 300 reasons I love the Gorge in Fall

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

9/23-24,5.5,8'2"or 300 reasons I love the Gorge in Fall

Postby Craig Goudie » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:02 am

Fine steady Easterlies this weekend had The Rock Star and I dancing
on the water. for about 5 hours (or 300 Minutes). Easterly winds
are soooo steady, and we were powered up at the Boat Ramp both
days in 75 degree sunny air. I think the only time I came off a plane
was getting out and getting in. 5.5 and 80 ltrs, you gotta love that.

-Craig
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Carl Christensen » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:05 am

where's the boat ramp? sounds good. I've had a lot of fun easterly days at Stevenson. just power it up and get'er done.
Carl C.
Carl Christensen

stevenson boat ramp

Postby chipr » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:36 am

It is located on the east facing side of stevenson town launch area, so you just drive as far east in town as possible. The ramp was slimey last time I was there but the ground to the north is solid though there were some bouys to attend to on the way out. It's not a large rigging area and there are always many fisherman about so watch your booties and flip flops Carl.
chipr

Re: stevenson boat ramp

Postby Craig Goudie » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:32 pm

The Boat Ramp has really been improved into a small park, with grass
rigging, a bushy wind break, and mostly fist sized stones into the water.
You have to negotiate around the new boat dock, but you can go down
the ramp, or wade in above the doc. It's much nicer than it was even 5
years ago. I haven't seen a fisherman there since they improved it
(but it's a very nice doc).

Maybe you should haul your carve'n butt back up there some time
Chipr, we'd like to have your company.

-Craig

chipr wrote:It is located on the east facing side of stevenson town launch area, so you just drive as far east in town as possible. The ramp was slimey last time I was there but the ground to the north is solid though there were some bouys to attend to on the way out. It's not a large rigging area and there are always many fisherman about so watch your booties and flip flops Carl.
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Carl Christensen » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:19 pm

Chipr on the web? Good for you. Why the boat ramp instead of the grassy launch to the west?
Carl C.
Carl Christensen

New Hip to ride with

Postby chipr » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:47 am

Jeez guys, if you saw the xray of my hip you wouldn't be windsurfing or
doing much more than, "going to the frig for another bevvie" as my xray friend back east named Doc Sutphen said. The new titanium hip was installed on 8/2 and I have only surfed a Laser in the current swell for 2 1/2 hrs. around the harbor mouth at home in Noank ,Ct. I'm hopin to get some used sails to tune my quiver up, so I can get out a few times this season before the snow really flies and the uphill conveyence begins. The Gorge is in my plans for next summer for sure, need to pester Doug VZ of Hurricane
(childhood bro), and to ride with the surf ratz crew and the Mongo man
(Mercedes Markr). I have missed bein able to ride this summer and only have gone twice, the last a disaster on Utah lake when the hip wouldn't let me waterstart much less endure a bumpy uphaul. Missed ridin with the crew
alot but the pain got to be too much, mostly mended up now and want to try ridin again soon.
Carvon
Carvn Chipr
chipr

Postby Craig Goudie » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:11 am

On an Easterly, the Sternwheeler doc at Bob's beach can create a
killer wind shadow, the kind where you have to swim out maybe
50 feet or more. It's a little easier sailing out from the Boat Ramp.
It's typically lighter on the inside, but no swimming required. I think
on a West wind you're much better off launching from Bob's,
but why you'd go to Bob's on a West wind is a quandary.

-Craig

Carl Christensen wrote:Chipr on the web? Good for you. Why the boat ramp instead of the grassy launch to the west?
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Re: New Hip to ride with

Postby Craig Goudie » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:24 am

Hope your hip comes out strong Chipr. Continue to mend up quickly so
we can see you on the water again.

Best wishes,

-Craig

p.s. I haven't seen Mark this year, hope he's doing well also.

chipr wrote:Jeez guys, if you saw the xray of my hip you wouldn't be windsurfing or
doing much more than, "going to the frig for another bevvie" as my xray friend back east named Doc Sutphen said. The new titanium hip was installed on 8/2 [snip], mostly mended up now and want to try ridin again soon.
Carvon
Carvn Chipr
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Carl Christensen » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:02 pm

Yeah, good luck Chipr. See ya soon. Windsurfing has got to be one of the best sports around for tolerating a bum hip and you are the guy to prove me right.

Thanks Craig. I'll look at it next time I'm up and, like you, doubt I'll ever be sailing a west there.
Carl C.
Carl Christensen

Postby RickHeninger » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:21 pm

Carl,

You need to get to Stevenson's to practice a couple of downwinders to Eventsite so that you are prepared to smoke everybody in the Blowout next year! ;)

Actually, right now it would be an incredible up winder!!!

Craig,

I have yet to sail a strong easterly... Only because I haven't been there during one... That sounds pretty heavenly... 5.5/80... Very attractive... What was the swell like on that day? (compare it to one of the westerly sites if possible... Actually probably not much swell because of the current I'd think) Or maybe the swell is faster then westerly but not as big... That could make for some faster surfing? hhmmm?

Chipr,

Good luck with the hip! That's pretty amazing that you are even thinking of Windsurfing that quickly.

Rick.
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Postby Craig Goudie » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:36 pm

Hi Rick,

There's almost no swell even on strong Easterlies. I've sailed
on 4.2 days at Stevenson, and 3.7 Days at Rooster Rock. It
might get to 3 ft if you're lucky on a real howler. Plus the
swells have even less power, though they can get organized.
It's a little like sailing at Doug's on a 6.5 day.

-Craig

RickHeninger wrote:[snip]
Craig,

I have yet to sail a strong easterly... Only because I haven't been there during one... That sounds pretty heavenly... 5.5/80... Very attractive... What was the swell like on that day? (compare it to one of the westerly sites if possible... Actually probably not much swell because of the current I'd think) Or maybe the swell is faster then westerly but not as big... That could make for some faster surfing? hhmmm?

[snip]
Rick.
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Carl Christensen » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:44 am

Thanks for the vote Rick. I kinda halfway think you just want me to get my butt kicked and that's okay too. Seeing how the big dogs go would be educational for sure. Apparently there is a lot to route selection so as to avoid submerged obstacles and stuff. You guys are nutz. I did go bandit chase a race in the Gorge Cup this summer just to see what would happen and although I wasn't on my formula gear it was interesting, (powered up), and pretty fun.
Carl C.
Carl Christensen

Postby RickHeninger » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:31 pm

Actually, Carl... To the contrary, I want to see you shred the course... Because of your experience, you would. Also, it's actually quite enriching to the sport to see more people get involved in these fun little events like this... And since I spend enough money on smaller gear, I could live vicariously through you speeding the downwinder on the big "spendy" gear! ;) All in all I just think you'd have a blast... (this last one anyway)...

Now if it blows 4.0 at Stevenson's like it did on me the first year... That's a different story... Then yes, you would partake in a feast of pumelling "butt kicking" fun and "that's okay too"! ;) But that was a rare wind. It hasn't been that bad (good) since (2001)...

If you picked the right gear and were ok being overpowered a bit... Quite honestly you'd do very well... and maybe even want to go and do it again!
I think!?

Craig, interesting 411...
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Return to Wind Log