GPS Speed Contest

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

GPS Speed Contest

Postby Josh Shirley » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:10 am

Mike Egan had mentioned at the meeting that we keep a posting of top GPS speeds. If you have it then post it. I think the proof needs to be through a link like http://www.motionbased.com. That way we know you didn't leave it on while driving.

Here are some tips that I have discovered.
1 - get an account with motionbased. (free for ten entries)
2 - set your waypoints to record 20 per minute. (that is the highest motionbased will take) This means every three seconds your gps will save your location. This gives you a better read out on the computer or your gps will only save your location every minute which won't be a good read out. In fact you will wonder why you sailed 31 mph on the lake, but the computer says you only hit 28. That is why.
3 - secretly attach your gps to someone faster than you.

Anyhow, everyone should post (Even if you don't break the record) so we can keep track of the top 5 fastest sailors and kiteboarders. And there could possibly be a prize at the end of the year, like a UWA belt buckle or some old down haul line. (Depends on whether you paid your dues or not.)

Lastly - the records need to be for this year 2007.
Last edited by Josh Shirley on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Top 5

Postby Josh Shirley » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:26 am

Windsurfing
The records have been moved to:

Kiteboarding - 2007 sessions please -

http://utahwindriders.org/wind/htm/gps.htm
Last edited by Josh Shirley on Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:18 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby Marty Lowe » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:21 pm

On 3/35/06 at Skyline, I reached top speed of 36.7mph but.....

It isn't quite the same thing..

I saw Chasta do this trick the first year he was here.

Kiting down hill, with wind blowing uphill..
Go fast as you can downhill with the kite going downhill also,,,
then do a whipping move infront of the kite, across the hill..
(think of the letter " J ")

I swear I have him on tape doing this,, going close to 60mph.

-Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

How about some GPS information

Postby kenonstott » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:32 pm

What is everyone using, are they waterproof, how much do they cost? What will it do at Grantsville where you are turning every 20 seconds?
kenonstott

GPS Units

Postby Josh Shirley » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:08 pm

I think most people are using Garmin.
They have units ranging from $119 to $10000.
Foretex 101 -$119 - base unit - computer cable is an extra $15.
Foretex 201 - $179 - comes with computer hookup.
There is a 5 or 6 under $250 that you wear on your wrist.
All of these are somewhat waterproof - read warnings.
Small waterproof bags are $12. The reception works just fine through the bag.
Also there are some other brands out there, but from what I have seen more expensive.
The Velocitek S10 GPS is made specifically for sailing/windsurfing. It has some really great features. Like wind angle adjustments for max speed. Total waterproof case, mast mount and such.
But they are more pricey - $300.
I think most everyone has been using the Garmin Foretex 101
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby RickHeninger » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:04 pm

Hey Josh,

I think that on a couple of my loop attempts, if I'd have had my GPS on the side of my helmet, I'd say I've reached about 100 MPH! ;)

My gear isn't built for too much speed, but last year on Yuba when it was west, so flat water on the west beach, 31mph was reached, and even that was scary... I wasn't clipped in out of fear for my life... I can't imagine 58MPH!
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Torn Sail

Postby kenonstott » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:40 pm

Hey Josh,
How fast were you going when you put your head through your Ezzy? I figure I was doing 35 when I put my head and shoulder through my Northwave last spring.
Ken
kenonstott

Postby Augie » Tue May 01, 2007 6:48 am

I don't own a GPS but I borrowed one from my buddy last year and recorded a flat 40.0 on my 10m at Monte Cristo last year on tele skis.
Augie

40.0 mph Rush 5/2/07 11m Instinct 137cm Litewave

Postby jason morton » Thu May 03, 2007 9:26 am

Josh-
Last night I took Marty's GPS out and recorded a 40.0 mph at Rush on my 11m Instinct and a stock Litewave 137. Marty can verify this. Rush has a perfect speedkiting venue. On the South end of Rush a sandbar is situated perfectly for a 120 degree broad reach with ultra smooth water. A South or SSW direction is ideal. The water is only 4" deep making windsurfing out of the question. Grantsville will provide similar conditions for windsurfers with a strong WSW. I may dust of my old windsurf speed gear and give it a go there. Hope I can get in the footstraps.
jason morton

Elevation

Postby witt » Thu May 03, 2007 9:48 am

I don't know anything about them ,but I've seen Bruce Peterson and Dale Cook use them to see how high they were going at Maryhill. I'm not sure but I think Dale was into the low 40's.Upper thirties at least. Since we closed I've been south riding my motorcycle and have yet to get on the water,but will be soon.I didn't see you at the pizza place,but I will see you at the swap meet and on the water soon.Tom W.
witt

Jason's record

Postby Josh Shirley » Thu May 03, 2007 10:14 am

Jason, I think your record might stand for a long time. That is pretty fast.

Ask Marty to upload that session onto motionbased. I would love to see the graphs and replay on the map.

If the kiters had gps unit with a barometric altimeter then you could get readings on jump heights. I don't think the forerunner or foretex have very accurate altimeter readings. If anyone has a garmin edge 305 that would do the trick.

That would be interesting to see who truely catches the biggest/highest air.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby John Freed » Thu May 03, 2007 10:37 am

Josh,
What do you know of the the Garmin handhelds, I have a eTrex Vista CX that I use for hiking, biking, hunting, etc., I noticed that I can buy a waterproof case that straps around your upper arm... any idea if this unit will work similar to those you are using?
John
John Freed

Postby jason morton » Thu May 03, 2007 10:43 am

I think I could go a little faster with my current board but to get a break through would require a special speed kiteboard. I am looking into this now. A windsurfer could definately beat 40.0 mph. High-wind slalom gear would work. I have 3 custom speedboards and one custom slalom board which would do the trick. You or anyone else is welcome to borrow them if you desire. They live a lonely life in my garage.
jason morton

Postby Josh Shirley » Thu May 03, 2007 12:27 pm

Jason:
Yeah, I would be interested those boards out.
Maybe next time we get nuked from the south, I could go to the salt ponds. That might be a good place to break 40.

John Freed. I am guessing that device would work. REI has many different waterproof cases and bags. I just strap my garmin edge 205 (road biking gps) to my mast and let it go.
Just make sure the device is recording at a higher level. By default they don't store a lot of data. You might not be able to get speed readings on the water but you would be able to on the computer. Try uploading the current info on your device and see if you get the data.

check out this link to see what type of info you can get back:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/invitation/email/accept.mb?senderPk.pkValue=20597&unitSystemPkValue=2&episodePk.pkValue=2630379
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby Marty Lowe » Thu May 03, 2007 2:13 pm

If you want to go fast on windsurfer,
Jason is the guy to learn from.

Incase you don't know,
He has been training partner for some of the fastest, windsurfers.
Actually THE fastest windsurfer, Finian Maynard,
The fastest sailor in the word (all sailing craft) 56mph.

Jason....
Tell us more...

-Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Next

Return to Main Message Board