9 for 9 in Nor-Cal

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

9 for 9 in Nor-Cal

Postby windzup » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:03 pm

The wind doesn't stop here in the Bay area. We parked at Crissy Filed and were on the water from Wed-Sun. Mon to today (Thurs) we've been on 7-11 meter kites in the Delta. We've got Tamatoa with us from Tahiti, he's Chasta's Brother in law and jumps higher than Chasta!

Tam also taught us some tricks about towing that we'll bring back to Utah... he has a 100 meter line that he brought and towed up higher than the golden gate bridge, and then took second in the Big Air comp... next to Jesse Richmond who set a 22 second world record hang time.

Anyway, Sherman Island rocks, we are living amongst the 'Baja Community' here and we may never come back.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck
windzup

Postby Kenny » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:30 pm

Brian,

Thanks for the report. I need to try Sherman Island one of these days...

I am curious about the big air comp in SF. Do I understand correctly that they allowed kiters to tow behind a boat or jetski? I can see how it would set a new record, but it is fundamentally different than jumping off the water. Are we going to start seeing towing as an integral part of all big air comps?
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby Marty Lowe » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:37 pm

I've heard that the Gorge blows better in July and August, than Sherman.

Guess I heard wrong,,,7-11M sounds great.

Are you staying there,,or heading North along the coast to the Gorge?

See ya soon.

-Marty 8)

I saw a post calling Tam, the flying Tahitian.
Sounds appropriate.
Marty Lowe

Postby btjsfca » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:59 pm

Speaking of Sherman Island, my plan is to get out there the second week of October when we were graciously allowed a "fall break" this year. I'll be looking to head out on Tuesday or Wednesday (the 9th or 10th) and head back either Saturday or Sunday. It'd be cool to head out either with some others or to ride with some other Utahns.

Anyone else with an interest?

-J
btjsfca

Postby jason morton » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:43 am

Kenny-
The tow-up was separate from the big air comp.
jason morton

Postby windzup » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:25 pm

Yeah, the big air was judged on off the water performance using a kite, a board a rider and natural wind. Tam took second behind Jesse Richmond for off the water hang time, Tam was up 15 plus seconds and floated hundreds of feet down wind with multiple kite loops... Jesse did the same with a little more hang time and slightly longer float and distance.

In the morning, Tam showed the crowd a stunt by towing up behind the Jetski, the Golden Gate is around 210 feet I believe, and Tam was pushing 250 feet high.

Both were big air. What set Tam aside was his tenacious consistency, while other riders only went during their heats, Tam would be out for 5 hour sessions riding during everyones heat. Overall there was no doubt that Tam had accumulated the most amount of air time over the weekend.

Windzup,
BriAN sCHENCK
windzup

Postby Kenny » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:41 pm

Brian,

Thanks for the more detailed report. The only time I have seen someone stay a long time in the air over the water was when Ryan threw a bunch of kiteloops at Rush on a south day earlier this year. Ryan ended up landing on the ground. His intention was to keep the kite from overflying, so he started throwing one kite loop which led to another and then another, etc. I didn't realize that they are using this method to get maximum airtime over the water. That is a trick I would like to learn.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby windzup » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:30 am

It was very interesting to watch and learn, since we had the chance to see it all first hand. Ryan, Tam and Jesse all caught what I used to refer to as a "Polter Gust". But that which I fear is what Tam and the likes are chasing down.

Tam claims that Crissy was the best spot for a big air comp as the gusty winds at the shoreline provided "un-predictable' lift. In other words, a funky updraft that came at will during the offshore gusts that Crissy has on the shoreline. Like tow-in surfers looking for big waves, the new generation of 'kite-flyers' will seek these gusty winds for maximum airtime and lift.

So watching the technique I learned that, just like on the water, every time the kite is stroked or looped it generates power (lift). When flown over head the kite will glide, when stroked side to side it created a lift that would allow Tam and Jesse to hover. Each successive kite loop then helped keep the vertical lift while carrying the riders down wind.

I must admit that what I saw at Crissy was the MOST amazing kite flying I have ever seen. Yes I have seen bigger on the snow, but that's on terrain where this is supposed to happen. This was the first time I ever saw riders use 'mountain-techniques' to fly high and higher over flat water.

So Kenny, what I learned and started working on was this... go for some big air jumps on the water going as fast and high as possible. At the apex of your jump, instead of down turning and coming down... swing the kite back and fourth above you to get the feel of hovering. From a good jump of 20 feet I am able to swing the kite 3-4 times side to side over head before landing softly.

Also, can we get more wind in Utah please? That is the major ingredient :D

Windzup,
Brian Schenck
windzup

Postby Kenny » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:49 am

Brian,

Thank you for the words of advice and an excellent description. I know what you are talking about from my experience on the snow. I have had some glimpses on the water, especially with my 15M foil. The 19M foil is a little too slow to swing the kite back and forth. I can imagine that if you were out on a 10M or 12M foil you could really get the kite swinging back and forth. Yes, we need more wind for that kind of thing and it needs to be gusty as well. Deercreek or Sulphur are two excellent choices once the wind kicks in again this Fall.

One question out of curiousity - were they using foils or LEI's?

I also need to talk to you about bar setups for the upcoming winter season. I am curious what Rob has developed. Let me know when you will be back in town and I will give you a ring. I hope you enjoy the wind on Mojave!

Thanks,

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Gorge

Postby bordy » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:03 am

We all watched Jacob use his "gliding" at the gorge last week. Same deal as on snow only with a big jump and lots of hang time. At one point he was sighning the kite like 8 or more times and just hoovering heightwise but stilll drifting down wind. Super cool. Sound the same as what was going down at SF

I was able to getr a few jumps and sighn the kite also but anly a few times. I had hoped it would be eisier then it truly is.......
bordy

Postby windzup » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:08 pm

We just need winter Bordy.. thats the real kite season when we can easily ride terrain and progress! I love flying down slope with plenty of hang time to learn how my kite reacts in the up drafts.

I wish I could have seen Jakes jumps, he's is a stylish rider and really pushes himself. I also wish you could have seen Tam's and Jesse's jumps, they were unreal to watch... even after everything I've seen on the snow.

But the Snow is coming...only 100 days left!!!

Windzup,
Brian Schenck
windzup

Postby windzup » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:19 pm

Hey Kenny,
Regarding kite models, the riders were all on inflatables, not a foil on the beach aside from my Imp trainer kite.

There were a large portion of cabrinha kites out, thats what Jesse was on, 3 Ozones in the comp, and a couple Naish's and a couple North's . I think I saw one slingy and one best out riding but not really pushing in the big air comp, more so on the boardercross course.

An interesting note, while demoing at Third Ave, a spot where many locals are advanced riders, there were many comments that the bow style of Cabrinha has opened the doors to beginners, but they felt that where the bows left off at an intermediate level, they were raving that the Instinct Edge was a flat kite that had the feel and performance of the C kites they had abandoned for the popular Cab Bows. Anyways, news I was psyched to hear!

Rob has come up with some amazing break throughs on the 08 foils, what we've all been waiting for since the advent of the Frenzy. I have to keep my lips sealed for a couple more months, but then I can set you up with the latest bar system before winter.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

I can't wait for Mojave!!!
windzup

Postby Kenny » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:34 pm

Brian,

Part of Jesse's jump was filmed and posted on utube.

I like the Instinct Edge, it has excellent lift and hangtime.

I look forward to seeing what Rob has up his sleeve!

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Big Air

Postby Jon Manwaring » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:55 am

Kenny,
I swithched Jeff over to Edge's this lastest Gorge trip. He was Going Massive. High and Long. He started kite looping at the apex (clearly inspired by Jake's style of riding). It looks, to me, that the Higher aspect of the Edge and Waroo Pro may help in the glide. Height seems to be dependent on technique, being really lit (overpowered) and the size of your cahonies. Riders on fuels can equal their jumps in height but glide is not quite as great, also moving the kite from side to side seems more effective with the higher aspect kites. I think this advantage may help more average riders, but just look at the videos of Len10, he is more than equal on his fuels. We've ngot a full quiver of Edge's and you're welcome to give them a test ride. Heading back to the Gorge on Thurs to give them more of a fly.
Jon Mzee
Jon Manwaring

Postby Kenny » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:08 pm

Jon,

Thanks for the info. The thing about Jeff is he knows how to go big. He has the technique totally dialed in. It is fun just watching him!

I would like to fly the Instinct Edge again, I will definitely take you up on your offer. Have a great trip to the Gorge.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Next

Return to Wind Log