utah lake north launches

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

utah lake north launches

Postby hedquista » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:20 pm

Where are the north launches for utah lake? Lindon? what are the places to kite on a south wind since rush is a dry bed of cow poo...? I dont know of any good launch sites for the north end of the lake with out boat support. any help would be nice

Being back from the gorge less than a week where i could ride every day, i am jonesin' for a ride. Maybe i jsut need to wait for the summer dolldrums to end and the fall kiting to present it self.
hedquista

Postby Kenny » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:59 am

The best launches at Utah Lake are SSB and Lincoln. You can ride the north end, but the wind is never as smooth. The extra 15 - 20 minutes drive time is worth it IMHO. I haven't tried Lindon yet this year. Maybe Arpi can give us a report because he lives nearby.

There are a couple kiters that ride at Saratoga. I have never tried launching over there.

On a south wind day, the best locations are probably Deercreek and Pineview. I have never kited at Pineview on the water, so I will let someone else tell you about the launch. I have a love/hate relationship going with Deercreek. The launch area at island beach is a bit muddy, but it is a decent launch. If the wind is on the light side (7.5 - 8.5 on Craig's forecast) the wind is very rideable. You just need a large kite (your 17 will do nicely) and perhaps a large board. Just beware that when you start getting some large intermittent lulls that it is time to head for shore because the wind can shut down completely and the north end of the lake is nasty, sticky mud. When the wind is stronger it becomes more difficult to manage 10 - 30 or 10 - 40 is often common on a strong south day, but some days it can be strong and more like 15 - 25 which is much more manageable. I have just had better luck with the lighter days getting good rides and not taking a beating in the gusts. The water is so low that the boat traffic has been greatly reduced. The water is also nice and warm. I just wear a rash guard for sun protection.
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby hedquista » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:12 pm

i have heard the lindon has the redneck crap . where is the launch for saratoga springs? can some one post a google picture of it. i know that you can ride lincoln on a north or south wind but i am looking fo something a litle closer so i can throw down quick sesh after work
hedquista

Postby Marty Lowe » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:58 pm

hedquista wrote: i am looking fo something a litle closer so i can throw down quick sesh after work

Your funny.... :lol:

This isn't the Gorge,
That's why most of us spend so much time there in the summer.

Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Lindon

Postby mike rossberg » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:07 pm

The rednecks have be hard at work this summer at Lindon. There are some freshly burned box springs and sofas. I rode my bike past Lindon Aug 11th. I would keep going south to SSB or Lincoln.
mike rossberg

Postby mike loeser » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:41 pm

looks like Arpi rode there yesterday. The launch does have garbage everywhere, stuff like nails and the dreaded box springs, but Lincoln and SSB have the same. I have managed to snag springs at both Lincoln and SSB, but never Lindon. I would wear booties or keep up to date on your tetanus shots.
I was there a week or two ago and for anyone coming from the north, they have access blocked off. Go to the Lindon exit off the freeway and drive north to get there. I think the road construction has cut down on the riff raff a bit. Though last time I was there some kids asked if it would be Ok to shoot guns on the beach. There were two windsurfers out at the time. Crazy kids!
Mike
mike loeser

Postby jason morton » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:59 am

Check out American Fork boat harbor. That place looks good, but you would need launch assistance.
jason morton

Postby Rod Meiners » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:23 pm

I often ride at Lindon and am always amazed at the trash - we have done several cleanups there, but it never stops. I will not walk there without some sort of bootie. Too many nails, broken glass, etc.
I was there with my family last winter ice skating and there were several people that pulled up alongside the road and started shooting guns out towards the lake and too close towards us. We quickly went home, and I called the Sheriff to see if it was legal to shoot there - it is not. If I remember, you can call Orem police and they will send a car to drive by - they are too close to the road to legally shoot - and it is not private property.
Rod Meiners

Return to Main Message Board