11/23 Burmester

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

11/23 Burmester

Postby Kenny » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:37 pm

Nice wind at Burmester this afternoon. Jon, Jeff, Mark J, Ralph, and Ralph's kiting contingent all showed up for some buggying and landboarding.
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby lesvierra » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:36 am

did you guys cover a lot of area.
lesvierra

Postby Mark Johnson » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:36 pm

It is a pretty small spot, also a bit wetter than expected but still rideable.
I think I know a way in to the big area though. I think that if you were to park somewhere near the overpass at the grantsville exit then go kitty corner kind of north east direction between the puddles and toward where the train tracks merge. If you cross there (usually just east of the parked trains). I think you could acess the large area where I used to ride. Not sure if it would still be dry. It is probably tresspassing but so was the area we rode the other day.
Maybe if you were to get cited you could tell the judge how stupid it is that they keep us out of this area.
Mark Johnson

Postby btjsfca » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:59 pm

Burmester? Small?

Nutty, Mark. That place is enormous. Probably 10 to 15 miles east-to-west and about 6 miles tall north-to-south at the tallest point. You must have found yourself in the wrong place.

The best bet is to get off at the Grantsville exit (88?), and at the top of the loop is the access to the frontage road. Take that west then loop around and head back east alongside the parked trains. Follow it east until you cross an abandoned spur, and then there will be a pullout to park in (roughly even with where you got on the frontage road). Cross the tracks, drop down the embankment and rig up.

I'll bet it's a bit wet this time of year. Means you need a bigger kite if you want speed and you need to watch up ahead for dark patches which may be mud (slippery shit). Try not to get into the mud -- it's tenacious. I've got mud in the griptape on my MTB that won't come out with anything less than a sandblaster.

As for trespassing ... eh. I've never been hassled by the train workers (they don't care), and as far as I understand, the lake shore is under BLM management, so it's publicly accessible.

Les: I went out there one day with Mike Loesser, and he had a GPS. On one tack, we covered 6 miles, and turned around because we didn't want to walk back all that way. On the return tack, we overshot the "beach" and I think we pulled 8 or 10 miles on that reach. I don't know where those guys were, but there's a lot of area to be had at the main site.

-J
btjsfca

Postby Mark Johnson » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:04 pm

Yea this is the place I was trying to give directions to without crossing a posted area. But hey if thy are not hassleing anyone then yea your right it would be easier your route. yellow dots indicate parking. center dot is where you are talking about right?
Mark Johnson

Postby lesvierra » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:21 pm

great map. Kenny, where were we when i met you out there? Red area? I havent been to the blue yellow area. Looks awesome!
lesvierra

Postby mike loeser » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:58 pm

Mark,
The blue area is exactly where you want to be. Just follow your red line to the "park area". Usually there is a train that makes you drive to the eastern end, where you want to be anyway. Grab your gear and walk north over the tracks to the blue area. I try and launch after the buried fence line, you will see it. There is a sand bag out there for self launch if you want. Like Justin said you can go a lot further than you probably should. Way north is a dike, thought about crossing over someday, but the sand gets softer the closer to the water you get. Also in the yellow area it does start to get soft, but you can do some long tacks that way.
I was out there for a bit on Sat. but left due to the light up and down winds and other stuff I had going on. Sorry I missed everyone. It looked like it did pick up in the afternoon for an hour or so. If the windmeter doesn't say 12 mph I don't think it is worth it unless you have bigger gear. The flag at the Chevron at the Toelle exit is also a good judge. If it isn't flying don't drive any further!
Also I got tempted to ride out at Salt Air again. Don't do it. There are too many soft muddy spots! I was hoping for some frozen ground to smooth it out. I don't know if that would ever happen.
Mike
mike loeser

Postby btjsfca » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:18 am

Listen to this man, Loeser, he know what he say. I'm sure you've had more action at Burm this year than I did, Mike.

About that dike to the north: having walked up to the lake shore in search of my kite, I know that it's not a dike but a canal, only about 2 miles up. It's made for gapping. About 20-30 feet across, but the water is only about 10 feet wide. (I think it's a drainage from Morton's, so I wouldn't really recommend getting in the water.) If ever there is good west wind at Burm, opening up the north-south lines, my goal is to get out there and try and chuck my meat over that thing. The ground is soft enough up there to inspire confidence.

Although, I don't jump well on my off tack, so coming back in will be interesting ...

Oh, and Mark, that's a killer map. I'll differ a bit with Mike and say that the yellow area is prime, too. Wide open and butter smooth. A bit wetter, but by midseason is totally open. Occasional debris from the piers that used to line the lake shore, but that makes things interesting. Obstacles are made for jumping. The blue area is nice if you want to practice your jumps and not be too far from your gear when you break your face and have to drag yourself in by your pinkies, but there's too much area out there to confine yourself to only that space.

-J
btjsfca

Postby Kenny » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:37 pm

Thanks for the map. I haven't tried the blue area yet. I have always gone to the red area. Now I know better!

Justin, gap jumping on a landboard, that would be fun to watch! I will have to go out there with you sometime. Hopefully, if we don't get snow at least we will get frozen ground.

Found another location for riding at Lake Point. It is small, probably would only accomodate 5 or 6 riders, but the wind is better there due to the Venturi effect of the Oquirrh's. You get a nice wrap that boosts the wind speed a couple mph over Burmester. Same area that I kiteboarded several times last summer. The surface is about the same as Burmester, but it is 10 minutes closer to SLC.
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby Mark Johnson » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:20 pm

I got the map from google earth. They just updated it and its pretty neat
You can use the ruler tool to measure distance. I spent the night searching for rushlike puddles across Nevada and measuring the reach to see if they might be rideable. There are many unnamed bodies of water that you can zoom in on and check out.
Mark Johnson

Postby btjsfca » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:25 pm

Kenny wrote:Thanks for the map. I haven't tried the blue area yet. I have always gone to the red area. Now I know better!

Justin, gap jumping on a landboard, that would be fun to watch! I will have to go out there with you sometime. Hopefully, if we don't get snow at least we will get frozen ground.

Ouch. I'm not sure I'd love to kite frozen ground. That would really hurt to fall on! But, I'm confident Burm will stay nice and soft well below freezing. Too much salt in that mud to really freeze up. If the drought continues, then we might get a chance to prove it before that spot muds out for the winter.

Yeah, and gapping that channel would be way cool. But, I'd still be an amateur:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM-YtGhT ... re=related

Check out around 2:45. Oh, and if you want to be there to help drag my corpse back, you're welcome! :)

Kenny wrote:Found another location for riding at Lake Point. It is small, probably would only accomodate 5 or 6 riders, but the wind is better there due to the Venturi effect of the Oquirrh's. You get a nice wrap that boosts the wind speed a couple mph over Burmester. Same area that I kiteboarded several times last summer. The surface is about the same as Burmester, but it is 10 minutes closer to SLC.

Yeah, I heard Lakepoint has some landboard-able terrain, just never thought to check into it, but it's really too cold to get the typical mid-summer thermal kick that makes Burm worthwhile. Do you have a windmeter recommendation for scoping out Lakepoint? The Saltair meter (if it's even still up) is too hidden in the wind shadow of the mountains to be of much use.

What a desperate lot we are. No snow, icy cold water, and here we all are jonesin' to landboard. Weird.

:-P

-J
btjsfca

Postby Kenny » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:21 am

Justin,

There are two wind meters for Lake Point. You can find them both on the NOAA observation page. Check out the observation page for the Wasatch Front as it is less crowded with sites. You can also find one of the Lake Point meters on the weather page listed as "Rush Predictor".

You are right, the thermal is much more mild during the winter compared to the summer, but it is still there. The Venturi effect makes Rush rideable on a lot of winter days if you have a waxed board and a monster kite AND SNOW!

We are wind junkies, we will get the fix anyway possible. If that means flying a trainer in a park, it is still better than nothing...

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby mike loeser » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:05 pm

Justin,
That is the video I was talking about. Nice airs, huh?
The yellow area is just a bit softer, not unrideable at all. I've gone far enough where my tires are an inch or so in the mud, but that is way out there by the water.
I'm almost bugged by the snow we got, because I wanted to get one more good session out there. We need a bunch more snow than what we got.
Mike
mike loeser

Postby btjsfca » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:28 pm

Well, we may yet find that extra session. The last snowfall didn't seem to hit in the Ibex area. Seemed to be northern Utah that got hit. I'll be watching how the weekend storm distributes. So far, it's not looking like it will land too hard in Ibex (less than one inch); the storm's coming in from the south and is really just clipping the state. At the moment, NOAA is predicting less than 10 inches in the mountains above Fairview -- which I figure means that once the wind blows off the fresh, there's still going to be bare spots at Skyline (although we'll find powder stashes too). So, landboarding may yet be in our future ... if you feel like taking a ride.

<nudge><nudge>

-J
btjsfca

Postby MikE mAy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:22 am

j-

give me a shout. i may be down for some landboarding this weekend. of course, i'll probably just be watching you and borrowing a ride on your board because i have none... i'll bring beverages though...

or, i may take an enjoyable skin up in the mountains somewhere i don't care where. if you go landboarding and need a comrade, let me know because i have the itch to get out and do something this weekend.
MikE mAy

Next

Return to Wind Log