Login login

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Login login

Postby DimitriMilovich » Wed May 14, 2008 6:20 am

Seems I have to login twice every time I get on. When I open the page to UWA, I usually click on the message bd or windlog, then I get my first login screen. After the first time, I get the "you are successfully logged in" screen, then it hangs a bit and then refreshes that screen so I have to login again. Then it jumps to the message board. Tried the login on the boad index page.

Anybody have the same thing or tips on how to change this?
Dimitri
DimitriMilovich

Re: Login login

Postby Craig Goudie » Wed May 14, 2008 8:39 am

Hi Dimitri,

Several, but not all users get this. I know I do. As far as I can tell, it has something to do with
security on my work laptop, but I've found no way to fix it yet. Josh G. has been looking into it.

-Craig
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby DimitriMilovich » Wed May 14, 2008 12:02 pm

Thanks, Craig. Hmmm... I'll ask around here at work, but it does it on my laptop and on my home computer too. Didn't used to do it, as of about a month ago it started.
Dimitri
DimitriMilovich

Postby Josh Shirley » Wed May 14, 2008 12:12 pm

Gubler is still working on this.
A bot hacked the site, so Gubler increased the security restrictions which is why many people have to double log in.

Hopefully in the future we will be able to successfully stop the bots with much lighter security. So this is hopefully a temporary solution.

I don't mind it too much on the computer but it makes it a real pain to log in on my blackberry.

I think the bots are designed to hack sites and look for information then report back to a general server. Although we don't store valueable information on the site like bank records, we could lose a lot of volunteered work.
This particular bot came from a microsoft server, so you can swear at Bill Gates for this one.
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby KyrkWright » Wed May 14, 2008 12:36 pm

This did come up in another thread and I didn't take the time to look up that thread. BUT, in that thread someone suggested that when the page is looking like it is going to take you where you want to go, right after you have logged in the first time, there is a link on the left called Board Index... if you click on that it will take you to the Board Index without refreshing back to the login page again. It's a work around and I have been doing this and it does work. So that has kept me from having to do the double login thing. You don't have to be speed racer to click on that link before the refresh but you do have to be ready to do it in the couple of seconds it takes the page to refresh.

Hope that helps.

Kyrk
KyrkWright

Postby Sarah Ranes » Wed May 14, 2008 1:28 pm

I have 2 wrk pc's....the one with Vista I have to log in twice, the one with XP I only log in once.

BUUT I found on the vista pc....that if I clean up all my cookies etc. and then login, it works with one login, for that time, then I'm back to 2 time log in.
Sarah Ranes

Postby joshgubler » Thu May 15, 2008 10:28 am

Somehow, I've gotten to a point where I never have this problem. That sounds good, but it makes it hard for me to fix it for everybody else. Help me out. Those who are still experiencing this, I need:
  • Operating System (XP, Vista, Linux, Mac OSX, etc)
  • Browser (IE, Firefox, Safari, etc)
  • How do you get to the login page ("login" link, a forum link, bookmark, etc)
  • Have you tried clearing your cookies
joshgubler

Postby RickHeninger » Thu May 15, 2008 1:04 pm

I only have to log in once. Windows XP Pro, Internet Explorer 7, 34 waist, 26 inseam, ... actually I have no idea what my inseam is... And don't really know what inseam is...

Dimitri, do you have to log in numerous times if you use Firefox(Mozilla)?
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Postby KyrkWright » Thu May 15, 2008 1:48 pm

Josh,
I am using
Mac OS 10.5.2
Firefox 2.0

I usually login by landing on the main page, and clicking on one of the message boards, usually the Main or the Wind Log, and then letting it prompt me to login at that point.

If I have been logged in, and logout, then login again, it only prompts me once. I have cleared my cookies and so far even when I close my browser it only prompts me once. I will let you know if I stop having issues.

I tried this on Safari a minute ago and got in with only one login.

Kyrk
KyrkWright

Re: Login login - OK on Firefox

Postby DimitriMilovich » Sat May 17, 2008 5:27 pm

Just tried this for the first time on Firefox. No problem, only one login req'd. I'll try clearing cookies on IE and see how that goes.
Dimitri
DimitriMilovich

Return to Main Message Board