Weed fin Education (I need some)

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Weed fin Education (I need some)

Postby RickHeninger » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:33 pm

Consider the Lilly Pads of the Field.

Ok, Weed fins... I am somewhat vague on the subject. Although I have a couple pretty good swept back fins... The ones I have still catch a few of the weeds causing boggage. (That is bogging down from excess baggage)... Alright, this is probably reinventing the wheel to some extent, but I just haven't really considered it to be a big enough issue to prompt me to buy a really good weedfin. If Rush continues to bloom and be deep enough to sail it'll be an issue.

I have some questions about the weeds.

I don't remember weeds being a huge problem at Rush. Is it because there are fewer fish to eat the algae? The water is more freshER right now? Weeds only appear when the water is at a specific shallowness? The ground under the water is still "hard" enough for weed roots to take hold? Or have they always been there?

Maybe Dimitri and Emmanuel can come up with a spaceage fin that completely renders weeds a NON-FACTOR... :?

How about a fin that is composed of 5 short fins spread laterally... The middle fin being front to back like 18 inches long but only goes 3 inches deep at the back, then the next two fins (on either side) connected to the middle fin by a strong bridge of some sort that is thin and hydro dynamic hugging the board... OR, I'm trying to reinvent the wheel.

Are there weed fins that work well enough to make the weeds a non-factor?

I haven't experienced one yet. And if they do work by shedding the weeds, how do they perform hydrodynamically?
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Postby Kenny » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:25 pm

Rick,

There is really one solution for Rush until the water mosses over or drys up completely - come over to the dark side. Come frolick with the mudboarders in the final remnants of Rush this July/August. The riding actually gets better as the water becomes more shallow. Nothing is better than riding powered up on butter smooth water. Riding in 4 inches of glass water in 20 mph winds up to the pig farm and back yesterday was simply amazing.

I do wish that the water level was higher so that sailors and kiteboarders alike could ride to the pig farm and enjoy a little bit of swell once in a while. However, that is not to be any longer this year. The way the launch spots are disappearing at Utah lake for kiteboarders, it may soon become Rush as the designated kiteboarding locale and Utah lake as the sailing destination.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

That's great Kenny...

Postby RickHeninger » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:03 pm

Kenny,

Ok, Darth Vader! :twisted: Careful, I might sick Yoda on you! "Rick, I am your father!"... It's so hard to have multiple sports isn't it... The whole serving two masters thing. But the times I've tried kiteboarding I've loved it.

The pig farm huh? Is that way up at the south end of the lake?
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Weed fins

Postby miker » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:19 pm

The weeds this year at Rush are weeds. In years past it has been very fine blooms of thick moss. With the bottom being more solid there are more weeds then moss. I'm sure this could change any time.

Good weed fins have 45 degree angle to shed the weeds. Fin Works makes a nice one. Sweep back wave fins don't cut it. I rode some hypersonics two years ago in Florida with nice big weed fins and they rode great.

Mona also gets a lot weeds in late summer so your investment in a weed fin could also be used at Mona.
miker
Site Admin

Weed fins

Postby Sarah Ranes » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:35 am

Lot's of info on Rec.windsurfing about this subject. It sounds like there are a few good ones out there. Alot of times the regular swept back wave fins that we use do not cut it. the leading edge right next to the board is not angled enough to shed the weeds. It sounds important too, to have the leading edge of the fins moved quite a bit forward, to help with the spin out. Several companines boast that they have fins to shed all weeds. Bill Kline at gsports fins in the gorge will talk your ear off about it. Wardog at surfingsports.com says that his weed fin is the best.

I have not gotten to try any of them yet, but it sounds like there are some pretty good ones out there. Good luck in your search, let us know what you try and how it works....GQ
Sarah Ranes

Postby Rick McClain » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:12 pm

Rick,
I have one and it's great. I don't even have to think about weeds while I'm on the water. Never swerve. And I can't believe how many sails I've sailed with it: from about 4.5m to 8.5. I love it. One of the best investments I've made in gear. I would like to thank whoever sold it to me, but I can't remember who it was. Thought, at the time, that I might be wasting my money, but exceedingly glad I got it.

Rick McClain
Rick McClain

Postby Kenny » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:33 pm

Rick I am your father...

Yes, the pig farm is at the south end of the lake. There is a ton of room to ride at that end. I don't know why all the kite boarders flock around the launch area on a good SE wind. The best water is definitely on the south end - I am speaking about the flatness of the water. The water on the south end smells like Rush lake of prior years.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby Marty Lowe » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:55 am

[quote=

I don't know why all the kite boarders flock around the launch area on a good SE wind.

Kenny[/quote]

I love the flat water up there,
but it is only a few inches deep.
I'm not sure that is the best senario for learning new things.
IMHO

-Marty 8)
Last edited by Marty Lowe on Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Lowe

Pig Farm

Postby miker » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:38 pm

It really sucks on the south end by the pig farm. It's best to stay by the launch. :wink:
miker
Site Admin

Postby Kenny » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:09 pm

Yeah, Grants sucks too!
Kenny
Site Admin

Return to Main Message Board