Lindon beach report (redneck alert)

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Lindon beach report (redneck alert)

Postby Mark Johnson » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:29 pm

More pallets and other trash!
I was going to try and do an after work sesh at lindon but the light wind and people dogs and TRASH had me turning back home.
Attachments
lindontrash.jpg
Mark Johnson

Re: Lindon beach report (redneck alert)

Postby John Dubock » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:27 am

mark we use the term "crimson napes"...heh heh...should these pics be sent to the newspaper, or a city council? I'm not a Lindon Beach goer but someone ends up paying to remove this junk. Amazing to me that in 2008 we have Utards this stupid, careless or lazy. Maybe the City Council doesn't give a shoot...perhaps they need some dead cow dumping, lower the real estate values, then they will act. Thanks for making an effort.
John Dubock

Postby KyrkWright » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:39 am

Hey, I have a real interest in Lindon beach. I am still a beginner kite boarder so I am not comfortable trying to ride there because of the space. But I only live 10 minutes from there and take my kids there to play. I was out of town last week and my wife took the little ones there to play but left because of the people that were drinking and being pretty rude, I can't do anything about that. But I am hoping, and am willing, to help in some efforts to keep it clean and perhaps to find out from the county if there is anything we can do to put some rules in place there. I am not sure where to start but will have some time next week to look into it. One idea I have had is if the county is fine with people burning stuff there, then maybe they would be willing to put in 2 fire pits. If we could help encourage strategic placing of the fire pits then that may encourage the people that will burn there to use the pits rather than the middle of the beach or just anywhere they feel like. If you have any numbers I should start with to call feel free to let me know. I think what they have done with the beach at this point is excellent and hope to keep it a good place to go so when I can ride there when my kiting skills improve, and to continue taking my family there on the non-windy days.

Kyrk
KyrkWright

Postby John Dubock » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:47 am

I called the Lindon City Council and left messages with Mark Cook 801-318-6724 the boat harbor person and Gary. At least the Lindon Council answered the phone.....
John Dubock

Postby Mark Johnson » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:16 pm

I sent a email to Lindon City and this is what I got. I also mentioned that we might be able to work with them on a cleanup day if the would beef up patrols.
Mark, Thanks for your message. I am also concerned about the way this newly
developed area is being treated. We are not the actual police agency with
jurisdiction in the area as it is within the city limits of Vineyard which
is served by the Utah County Sheriffs Office and Utah Lake which is
patrolled by Utah State Parks and Recreation. We are however probably the
closest agency since our jurisdiction goes to the Lindon Marina. I actually
met with my new officers this morning and one issue was patrolling this area
to prevent some of the under-age drinking etc. that happens down there. We
actually begin service on July 1 as a brand new agency and will begin to
patrol the area at that time. I am meeting on Thursday of this week with
both Sheriff Tracy and with Ty Hunter from State Parks about some other
issues along the road and new trail in that area to coordinate our efforts.
I will be sure to speak with them about this issue and hopefully we can keep
this and all of the other minor problems down there cleaned up. I'd really
like to have my department involved with your group if you're serious about
a clean-up day and I'm sure that Ty would be all for it too. Let me know.
Cody B. Cullimore
Chief of Police
Lindon City Police Department
100 North State, Lindon UT 84042-1808
Phone 801-785-5043

-----Original Message-----
From: Debbie Cullimore [mailto:dcullimore@lindoncity.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:12 AM
To: Cody Cullimore
Subject: Fw: Comments from our website

Cody - Do you want to respond to this?
----- Original Message -----
To: <dcullimore@lindoncity.org>
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 10:06 PM
Subject: Comments from our website

>
> Comments from our website:
>
> Name: Mark Johnson
> Address: 3696 savannah circle
> Phone: 963-0510
> Email: jmark40@qwest.net
> Comment: I would like to complain about the pallets being burned on the
> beach around Utah Lake.The newly renovated beach just south of the lindon
> boat harbor. I use this beach often and was so glad to see it with the new

> parking lot and sand. Lately there has been a lot of burned pallets
> leaving nails in the sand and other trash on the new beach. I see the
> police patrol this area often. They must not be patrolling at night though

> when this activity is going on. Seems a shame to let it revert back to the

> way it was. Anyway just a heads up on the beautiful beach being trashed. I

> am part of the Utah Windriders Association, a group of windsurfers and
> kitesurfers that use this beach as a launch site. I think that our group
> would be willing to help keep this area clean by holding a beach cleanup
> day or something but we need help enforcing the litter laws. Thanks
>
Mark Johnson

Postby KyrkWright » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:55 pm

I contacted the Utah County Parks dept today about this. I received an email and phone reply from Russ Eagar of the Parks dept. This is the email he sent:
-----------------
Some facts about this area
Utah County Has Jurisdiction over this area and the Parkway with the small picnic areas to the south. This area is in Vineyard City we have asked them to come up with the ordinance to help us control what activity can and can not go on there. This was done a week ago and the signs are being made and will be installed soon hopefully. The Utah County Sheriff is contracted to patrol this area and enforce the new ordinance.
Before the new sand was imported My crews cleaned up the beach area we remover nails that filled a 55 gallon barrel and all other garbage we say at that time. We clean up the beach once a week but lately it has been every other week. I have some volunteer groups looking at helping do the same.
----------------

He explained to me on the phone that technically the beach area is below the "meander line" which is the historical water mark of the lake, or in other words, the highest the lake has ever been. Technically NO burning whatsoever, is allowed below the meander line. He said that once the signs that Vineyard City is making are up he hopes people will be deterred even more to burn down there. They are also planning to make a park adjacent to the dirt parking lot across the street (this is pending water rights of some sort for the park) and in that park will be BBQ areas. They are also going to put BBQ pits/stands down by the other small pavilions south of the beach. So all in all, no burning is allowed on the beach. When his crew goes to clean it up weekly or bi-weekly they use some sort of magnetic barrel they roll over the sand to pick up the nails and metal. He said it works pretty well but they can't get there every week anymore now that the other parks they maintain are getting heavier use. But they plan to be there regularly. I told him that I (I told him I didn't officially represent the UWA but that I have had communication on this forum with others) would be willing to help in clean up efforts as well. I have his email and will try to stay in contact with him. Lastly, he said that I could get the exact ordinance number, and the list of all of the rules in the ordinance from Vineyard City, and that if any of us see something going on there that shouldn't be then we should call the Utah County Sheriff's Dept and they will send someone. Their number is 801-851-4000.

Let me know if there is any other info I should find out. I am happy taking the lead on this particular beach access point even though I know it's use isn't as high for the UWA as other beaches. Besides hoping to have good enough skills to use such a small area, I take my family there and want it to stay clean for them too.

Kyrk
KyrkWright

Postby Josh Shirley » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:29 pm

Kryk and Mark:

This is exactly what we as an organization need, people stepping up. Thanks for your work. The UWA supports clean beaches, we want to keep water access and more importantly clean water access. No one in the organization gets paid so everything each member does to help out improves the whole body. If you catch my drift. If everyone one took some part and/or responsibility we could achieve some significant feats.

So don't be afraid to act reasonably in the name of the UWA.
Good job. I would like to help where I can.

Joshua Shirley
VP Windsurfing
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby joshgubler » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:08 pm

To emphasize, that's:

Utah County Sheriff: 801-851-4000

Everybody put this number in your cell phones and use it.
joshgubler

Postby Rod Meiners » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:32 pm

Kyrk,
Several of us still like to use Lindon Beach for Windsurfing and kitesurfing as we live in Orem also. I have helped with beach cleanups before and would be willing to do it again. My son is looking for an Eagle project also - we though it might work to take care of that beach for a month. We could clean it, help install signs, even patrol the area in the evenings, handing out information on the new ordinance - etc.
I had no idea that they were cleaning it this often - was hoping that people were wising up, but I guess not. I spoke to a guy unloading pallets about a month ago - he just assumed that it was OK to burn them there - no idea that he was causing problems for us and that anyone cared about the beach quality. It is a bit like the broken window syndrome - if the beach gets neglected for a while, people think it is OK to continue to trash it.
I am going to try and contact some of these people also to see if we can help - please post any more information that you get.

Rod Meiners
Rod Meiners

Postby KyrkWright » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:42 pm

Rod,

I have tried to contact Vineyard city today and am awaiting a response from them. If I get the actual ordinance in writing I will definitely post it here. I have also told Russ Eagar of the utah county parks dept that I (we) could help with clean up but I am not sure he jumped on my offer since they have been doing it regularly. However, he did say that we are not the only organization willing to help with that effort there. He would be the one to talk to though as far as looking into a potential eagle project for your son. He knew all of the scoop of what is going on with that beach as well as a park going in across the street, and BBQ's going in at the little picnic areas to the south. Russ' phone number is 851-8624 and his email is russ.ucpw@state.ut.us so you could definitely contact him about some specific projects. If your son does get something going for his project let us know so we can help with some man hours for him. Again, I will post whatever I can track down from Vineyard city. Russ said that signs should be going up there "soon."

Kyrk
KyrkWright

Postby Mark Johnson » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:05 pm

I have a small trailer that would work to haul off trash that I would be willing to lend for a weekend for this project if needed.
Depending on the date/time I would be willing to show up also.
Anyone have a strong magnet to drag through the sand to pick up nails?
Mark Johnson

Postby KyrkWright » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:39 pm

Thanks Mark. The Utah Parks Dept said they are actually trying to clean it every other week right now and he led me to believe that they do have one of those metal things that gets the nails out of the sand. I will try to stay in touch with them on a clean up effort. I did go by there today and saw that they have put up signs.
IMG00030.jpg
there are 3 of these signs at the beach
KyrkWright

Postby joshgubler » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:12 am

So how long do you think it'll take before the signs are full of bullet-holes?
joshgubler

Postby Mark Johnson » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:27 am

I hope that they do not see the sign and head to SSB.
Mark Johnson

Postby bordy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:18 am

I am glad that some one is aware what is going on at lindon, But like Mark I fear most folks will just move to swouth sandy or lincoln. It would be great to see the same signs there.

I like that Josh listed the Utah po po number. I have called them several times while kids were unloading pallets, No one ever came. One call I was told by dispatch that they had more important things to do then "look after kids at a beach party".
I felt powerless. And left just as the gas dumping, pallet and dresser burning began.

I really can't bealeve any of the people we contacted where not already aware of what happens at UL all it takes is one trip to any of the beaches to see the effects of evening beach partys.

Lincolns a freaking extreme game show just to walk to the water with out touching metal. Of course all the shot guns shells I saw at lindon last time where sweet also...

I am going to e-mail Russ and say thanks for the signs, as well as ask if there is any chance of some at LB and or SS.
bordy

Next

Return to Main Message Board