SULFUR CREEK CAMPOUT/I-80 CLOSURE DILEMMA

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

SULFUR CREEK CAMPOUT/I-80 CLOSURE DILEMMA

Postby RickHeninger » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:19 pm

Please chime in here...

Trip Houk noticed that on the UDOT website I-80 EASTBOUND only will be closed from 7PM to 7PM (24hrs) starting Saturday Evening August 16th and opening back up Sunday August 17th... That would mean people would have to get up the canyon before 7PM in order to sail on sunday... It wouldn't effect those camping the weekend. But does pose some possible problems. If we reschedule I'm sure it'll blow 4.5!

I know a few people come up in the mornings... So, Sarah and I are wondering what to do. I thought I'd put out some feelers. Is this a big enough issue to push the campout to the next weekend (August 22nd-24th)? Are there any major impediments that we need to know about on that weekend?

888-I80-UDOT (888-480-8368) For info... Parley's canyon will be closed from Ranch Exit 132 to the summit. They're replacing the two bridges by Mountain Dell Golf Course. I called and the only easy by passes are apparently Provo or Weber Canyons...

Thanks, UWA.
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Re: SULFUR CREEK CAMPOUT/I-80 CLOSURE DILEMMA

Postby witt » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:52 am

One posibility is to drive past my house and go over Gaurdsmans Pass. The only dirt part is from the top down to the fork that goes to either Park City or Midway. Probably much faster than Provo Canyon or Ogden (unless thats where you live.) See you up there Tom W.
witt

Postby witt » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:27 pm

Are you sure of the dates on the bridge moving? I heard they were doing it this weekend. Or is it both? Tom W.
witt

Postby Josh Shirley » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:37 pm

Here is the statement directly from the UDOT webpage:

Westbound I-80 closed 4 p.m. August 9 to 4 p.m. August 10

Westbound I-80 will close at 4 p.m. August 9 to allow crews to replace the Lambs Canyon and Mountain Dell bridges. The closure will be in place until 4 p.m. August 10. Motorists are advised to use I-84 or U.S. 189 through Provo Canyon as alternates. The roads beneath the bridges will also be closed beginning August 4 through the end of August.

Crews will close eastbound I-80 the following weekend for 24 hours. The closure will be in place August 16 at 7 p.m. through 7 p.m. August 17.
These closures will allow the bridges to be replaced using accelerate bridge techniques. Demolition and replacement through traditional methods would require several months or restrictions to one lane in each direction.

End Quote

I say we should make this simple and push the event out one week. Give the crawdads one more week before the harvest.
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby Rick McClain » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:26 pm

Personally, I don't see it as that much of a problem, although it certainly will depend on how long the line of cars gets coming home on Sunday evening. The only ones it would effect are the ones coming up late Saturday evening or Sunday morning or wanting to get home early. It seems to me that most people would be there before 7:00pm Saturday. Certainly, most come up for both days and camp, or am I wrong, as usual.
Are we sure the park would be available the following weekend?
Rick McClain

Postby witt » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:22 pm

Good question. Is the site open the following weekend? I know I'm game for anything. On my earlier post, you would not want to bring too big of a rig over "Gaurdsmans Pass". From the times posted, I'd think unless you're coming late or leaving early, it shoudn't be that much of an issue. But after all it a UDOT thing. So you never know. Tom W.
witt

Postby tjacques » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:23 pm

i wantede to go but have family issues the 15th, so for me i would rather see it the next, but then again i might have the same problems the next week and so on.
tjacques

Postby RickHeninger » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:38 pm

Well, I've spoken with a few people and it makes most sense to reschedule to the next weekend. Sarah is calling to find out availability.

I think that it just avoids any problems. Some have family members that will come up at a different time.

Thanks for the input.
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Return to Main Message Board