Are windsurfers offended by the term "boredpoler"?

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Are windsurfers offended by the term "boredpoler"?

Postby JimSouthwick » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:49 pm

You know what term I really mean; if I spell it correctly, even in the subject line, it's automatically edited to "windsurfer". Very clever, but necessary? It seems to me its use is all in good fun, just like our use of the term "darksider" in reference to our kiteboarding brethren.
JimSouthwick

Re: Are windsurfer sailors offended by the term "boredpoler"

Postby Josh Shirley » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:18 pm

Jim, This topic is borderline offensive. I just might have to edit the content or delete it all together. Jk Maybe this site is run by the Chinese government.
I think the automatic edit was created as a joke and not as if anyone would take offense to the term.

Although I think you just made a new automatic edit in every darksiders' mind - "should I type poleboarder? No, boredpoler is better!"
That is pretty funny.
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Re: Are windsurfer sailors offended by the term "boredpoler"

Postby Rick McClain » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:16 pm

Actually, "Windsurfer" is wrong. That is a Trade Marked name for a brand of sailboard; now much in common usage, but it is still wrong.
"Boardpoler", "Poleboarder", or "BoredPoler", I don't get offended, but I do wish people would quit using "jargon" like that, instead of proper "Terms" because I usually don't know what they are talking about. Now words like "SLE" or "C-Kite", we need to learn, but I really get tired of trying to figure out what people are talking about on the forums. Is a "poleboarder" someone that sails a sailboard or a landboard?
I was reading a post yesterday that referred to an "OP". What is that? I guess I'm just too old, or square, or tired of trying to figure out what people are talking about. If people want others to understand what they are talking about, they ought to avoid "Jargon" and abbreviations.
Remember, these forums are here to communicate and your closest buddies are not the only ones reading the forums. Lots of beginners and others not familiar with the area or the "jargon" are reading the forums to learn. They can't learn if they don't know what you are talking about.
Keep your abbreviations to your text messages, PLEASE. I, personally, wish the forums had spell checkers.

By the way, all of the members still using "abbreviations, nick names, or acronyms" for their Usernames on the forums are asked to please change those to their real first and last names, too. Please don't make us change them for you. If each person will change their own, it won't take long, but if one of the moderators has to do it, it will take hours.
Thanks,
Rick McClain
Rick McClain

Re: Are windsurfers offended by the term "boredpoler"?

Postby bordy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:30 am

Rick,

OP means Original Poster, Just like LOL means Laugh out Loud. This "jargon" is common on every forum on the interent. Be glad you don't text message it is a different language. How about being a kiter and trying to quess what kite size to use when Craig says its going to be perfect 4.8????? It does go both ways?

This is the only forum you use isn't it? :?:

I really don't want to seem out of line again, but please don't continue to turn this forum into a police state, thats the impression I get when I read your ideas about how it should be on this forum.

The fact that you can't even type PoleBoarder ot bolepoarder with out it getting corrected is just lame.

Maybe you are to Old or Square????? :lol:

Any editing on a forum that I pay dues to goes against my beleifs so why can't I use the words and or screen name I choose?????

I understand Your concerns about Bots and what not but at a website used mostly by Local UT sailers I really think its over kill and unessasary.

PS speling is not tht inpotat as U C U can comunikate UR point wth out coming close it is provan fax all the leters don't even need to b their. Look it up! 8)

This is coming from a guy who has 378 post vs your 96 so who really uses this forum more??????
bordy

Postby Marty Lowe » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:03 am

bordy wrote:Rick,

but please don't continue to turn this forum into a police state, thats the impression I get when I read your ideas about how it should be on this forum.

A little harsh,, but I totally agree.

I was going to change my full username, when I got around to it.
But I got an e-mail that It was changed for me (forced to comply)
No other forum I have ever been on would ever think of doing this.

Time to move out of the '70's

-Marty Lowe :roll:
Marty Lowe

Postby Doug cox » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:04 am

Part of joining into ANY group is learning the "lingo/language"
I use my name as my ID, however, how you identify yourself is your choice.....
RULES SUCK!!! can I say suck????? ddi hte selpl cehck wrko????

BORDY YOU ROCK!!!! I mean Billy.....
Doug cox

Postby RickHeninger » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:19 pm

I know you're referring to Rick M, I think?!... However, I'll chime in a sec on this subject.

Now this is a funny thread!

I'm in agreement with parts of all of the posts...

There are a lot of websites that don't allow certain verbage, such as, the F bomb and other such varieties... I don't get easily offended myself at certain verbage. In talking with admins of many websites they will not allow the speech to go down to unacceptable levels that would probably be found at certain camps on certain beaches and pallet burning would probably be part of that event. I agree with this philosophy. So, yes a long time ago we did put replacement words for some of the certain words that are unacceptable. Use your best judgement for what those words are (I don't remember poleboarder being one of them!). The automatic word censor saves moderator time. Nobody wants to waste their time keeping the website respectable. That's why the autoword replacement was used. No big deal. It's just a mod included in the package for the website.

I don't know exactly who messed with those words... No more messing with the word censors. Such Power!!!???

This forum is for a wide variety of people, that means, we should probably respect that fact.

Poleboarder?! or whatever... I think kitebaording is fun enough on it's own to not have to down windsurfing. That's my take personally. But, the "darkside" thing is the same deal. I think the darkside thing is getting a little "last year"! he he. (I mean the term "Darkside", not the activity!!!)

As far as the full name thing goes... WHATEVER!!! Mike R. and I talked about this a couple years ago when we were getting spammed on the website. It's a lot easier to find spambots if people use their first and last names. It has nothing to do with some kind of Napoleon kick... At least with us. It was to save time and not make us sit for another couple years without a functional website. It's another line of defense. Problem is... If the policy is set this way, it's gotta be across the board. BUT I DON'T GIVE A FLYING RAT'S NALGAS if somebody uses a nickname, keep your nickname, just get a doctor's note! Josh Gubler, Mike R, Craig, and others who have to contend with spambots and hackers might not feel this way. We didn't figure it would be a big deal... But there are a lot of websites that do require full names. It allows people to put a name to the posts. It also helps reduce anonymous flare ups... That's the advice I've gotten from a number of web admins. If the nickname is keeping you going in life, keep it... Just add an initial and last name next to it or something like that...

It takes this kind of thing to find out where the fine line is in making our organization/website more functional. It is an organization of fun, that should have a lot of flexibility and diversity... I agree to keep it that way... So, we should all try to help out on this and chill a bit...
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Postby darrenfowler » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:49 am

I find the the term "BLOW-BOARDER" much more offensive.
darrenfowler

Postby lesvierra » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:18 am

Thanks for keeping the forum website up and going! Its a near thankless and payless job, but we sure appreciate it.
lesvierra

Postby Marty Lowe » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:21 am

Rick, H
I would never take away from the effort of any volunteers, for the time spent on this organization.
I have been in Rick H's position before with another organization.
These types of things are what make someone wonder if it is worth it to offer up their time.

Rick M always telling us that we should be doing this or that,
is the issue that I believe Billy myself and Doug were addressing.

It's difficult to learn how to have forum presence without coming across
in a different manner than intended.

I believe this will be a learning experience for all involved.

-Marty 8)

boardpoler, darksider, wind sufer'er, teabagger, WINDRIDER.....
Marty Lowe

Postby Josh Shirley » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:23 pm

I would like to point out a few things here:
1- This site is free. About 15% of the users actually pay dues. If everyone paid we could have our weather page looking like iwindsurf's weather page. And put our own weather sensors out there. How about one right on the DC island, sulfur creek, or Lincoln beach? Just to have one sensor would have an annual cost of about $500. That means each year we would need 50 members to pay their dues on top of what is already being brought in.

2- Everything done in this club is volunteer work. Josh Gublers hours alone would add up to a couple of thousands of dollars in salary. And that is ignoring all the work everyone else has done.

3- Rick McClain is the wrong person to be mad at. He has really nothing to do with word censors or user names. Those things were put in place long before he started helping out. So be mad at me, Rick H, and Mike R we decided on the full name rules. The reason you are mad at Rick M is he sent you a message that said please update your name and profile. Here are the reasons we decided to do this:
A - Spam bots- as explained by Rick
B - Attitude - Most forums create a sense a anonymity, where you can say anything, and not be responsible for what you say. Well if you have to put your name to your words you might think twice before speaking. We want to create an atmosphere were we can get to know one another, help each other out, promote stoke, encourage people to get out and enjoy the wind. Bad vibe on our forum doesn't accomplish any of these things.
C - Friends - in the past the only way I could figure out who was posting was doing some detective work. If "Kiteguy55" posts that he is getting some good rides on Utah lake, I wonder who he/she is? Full Name resolves that conflict. I noticed a big difference on the beach when introducing myself to others after changing my user name, people started recognizing me and I them.
D - Networking - Billy your a business man right? If you want to get people to come take lessons from you, then I would imagine that you would want to put your contact info all over the place. So once again you probably would want to update your profile with your contact info - and then make it public. Wanna be kiters are always signing up looking for some help. Networking goes a lot farther then just kiting lessons.
E - Membership List - For me this was the biggest reason for us to make this change. What if the Utah Lake Commission asked us to produce a petition, or needed proof that we are more than just five guys who complain a lot. There is strength in numbers. When I started helping out the first thing I noticed was that we have no membership list or records of members. The easiest quickest way to get a list was changing the profile fields around to start gathering that information. We have asked everyone to update their profile, we haven't forced anyone to do this. We could have just deactivated every ones' user name and make them re-register, but we choose not to. We have only asked people to voluntarily update their user names. Only new users have been restricted to the full name policy, and that is because it is automated.
Marty - thanks for pointing the change out, as I said all of this should be voluntary. I will check the maintenance log to see who changed your name.

The only pro I can see of the nick name system is that I can create some catchy name for myself like, iwindsurfer, hangsbylines, etc. And it is really easy to roast people, at least until the figure out who I am.

We are open for suggestions and change - after all we are progressives, we participate in the best sports out there. This forum is a joint effort to unite us, promote windriding, provide us with information, teach each other, etc. So if you think you can help out the club please do so.

On a less serious side note here is a list of the current words censors and their alternative:
8.0m - 4.7m
Pelican Bay Marina - Saratoga Marina
The gorge - Rush Lake
Jim Southwick - Jim "The Bored Poler" Southwick
Emmanuel - Manny "The French are better than everyone." Ponns
C Kites - SLE Kites
OP - Overpowered
Front Loop - yeah right
Duck Jibe - Body drag into full planning monkey jibe
Red Necks - crimson nape

JK - "Rick that means just kidding"
If you have any suggestions to add to this list please tell.

Josh Shirley
Poleboarder. (which comes from surfer lingo not kiteboarders, they just snaked the term.)
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby Marty Lowe » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:04 pm

Josh Shirley wrote:Marty - thanks for pointing the change out, as I said all of this should be voluntary. I will check the maintenance log to see who changed your name.

Josh,
No need to spend the time.
Point taken, you explination is very good.

Josh Shirley wrote: So be mad at me, Rick H, and Mike R we decided on the full name rules.

Life is to short to be mad at anyone,
just making points.

I think all windriders have a rebellious side to us,
it's in our nature,
Something "forced" on us goes against our psyche.

It's the wind that keeps us balanced.

Where's the wind????

Thanks for all your time.

-Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Postby Rick McClain » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:29 pm

Thanks Josh Shirley and Les Vierra,
I just wasted a couple of hours thinking about how to respond to these guys and was about to spend another typing it out. Now I won't have to. I appreciate your time and effort. I'm the one that changed Marty Lowe's user name. I had to start somewhere. Changing a nickname to a real name in order to keep the forums open and running smoothly and easily seems like a small price to pay, to me.
By the way, I'd like to know what the last five or ten things were that I told people they had to do. I'm too old to remember. I looked back at my posts for a couple of years and about all I could find was me THANKING people for doing things, ASKING them to do things like add information to the web pages or maps or ADVISING people on how to save gas or time and effort somewhere.
Even in this last post, I didn't TELL anyone they HAD to do anything; I asked or pleaded; and as you've pointed out, the decision was made months ago and people ASKED to make the changes numerous times. The only thing ASKING seems to do is get the hot heads on your back. If Bordy, Marty, or Doug wants this job, they can have it, then they can waste their time trying to do it their way.
Rick McClain

Postby RickHeninger » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:48 pm

I am in full agreement with Marty...

It's difficult to learn how to have forum presence without coming across
in a different manner than intended.

I believe this will be a learning experience for all involved.

With organizations like this... (and I'll add that this is quite a unique organization)... we have to be patient and flexible that there's going to be profound philosophical disagreements to the extent that you gotta do what the Beatles suggested... Let it Be... I know some people want to be militaristic about things, but that's mostly just to save time and hopefully not to be power driven. Well, we gotta find that fine line. I'm glad this has done that. Being flexible doesn't always imply weakness. :) I appreciate the openness Marty, Doug, and Bordy... It's genuine, at the least... And we know what you're thinking... I'm not offended by anything you guys have said in this thread. But Marty, there was no internet in the 70's! :twisted:

Seriously, I can see where you guys are coming from.

Rick McClain should not be singled out for the decision to make first and last names the log in names. But as individuals we have to decide the level we'll go to, in order to keep the peace. Actually, Rick M has been assigned to do by hand what we all decided not to do by automation. It takes more work but attempts to avoid conflict. To Rick McClain's credit, I've seen that guy stay a couple hours after everyone has gone helping beginners with their gear and he'll be the first to tell you when he's made a mistake.

And the automated word replacement "list" will only contain the common words that shouldn't really be in this forum anyway... Not Josh's list, thank heavens! We'll cut him off!

Darren! Let's do a downwinder from Portland to 3-mile... Bring your passport Manny so that you can get through the locks!

Marty and Doug, we do miss sailing with you guys! :cry:
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Postby Doug cox » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:23 pm

First let me say thanks to all who freely give their time to running this forum. If it were up to people like me there would be no Windriders. Josh, thanks for clearing up a the issues.

Rick M, we'll discuss my issues with your posts in person.
Doug cox

Next

Return to Main Message Board