Losing Richardson's Flats in PC???

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Losing Richardson's Flats in PC???

Postby Kevin Dobson » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:08 am

Went by the "Flats" this morning to check on the rumor of the dreaded "no trespassing" signs, sorry to say it's true. There are a couple ph#'s for PC Mining Co. and the EPA. I think we all knew it was a matter of time, but I thought we'd have it until they started construction on something. Anybody have the inside scoop ?
Kevin Dobson

Re: Losing Richardson's Flats in PC???

Postby tjacques » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:22 pm

that sucks
tjacques

Postby bordy » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:57 am

Yup it may happen...

I saw the signs at the beggining of the summer but have been riding my dirtbike there a few times with out an issue hopfully kiting will go the same.
bordy

Postby lesvierra » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:50 pm

Should we get the phone numbers and make some calls? It'd probably be better if a local called to find the best contact to speak with and get the facts and issues. I'll do it if no one else wants to.
lesvierra

Postby Ralph Morrison » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:54 pm

Kevin Dobson wrote: There are a couple ph#'s for PC Mining Co. and the EPA.

I heard that Talisker now owns the property. It would be good to find out who actually owns it. If it's an EPA thing then they are probably worried about the contaminants getting churned up. With snow cover that's not a problem. I'll make some calls unless any of you guys out there know more about it than I do.
Ralph Morrison

Postby tjacques » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:31 pm

ralph you would be a good person to start the communications, IMHO. if you need help from local community then we could help.
tjacques

Postby Ralph Morrison » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:46 pm

I rode over there and here's what I saw. After you go under the highway overpass there is an open section that has one No Trespassing sign. It doesn't seem very serious. Then there's the Talisker parking lot that we've been parking in. Beyond that, to the pond, is where the EPA is doing some recapping of the soil. It's about 250 yards along the road and goes into the flats about 100 yards. A relatively small area. There are more serious looking signs there. The contact number is for Kerry Gee at PC MIning Co. (PC Mining is owned by Talisker) I feel ok contacting him but here are the issues we might have to face.

Parking; last winter we parked in their parking lot and towards the end of the season I noticed the bus drivers getting really pissed off.

Staying off the Remediated Area; We might have to volunteer to mark off the affected area somehow.

Liability; hopefully this isn't an issue to them, they allow Mountain Biking on other property they own.

If you have thoughts or opinions, let's hear them now.
Ralph Morrison

Postby Mark Johnson » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:09 pm

I thought we mostly parked east in the smaller lot of where the buses were parked. Anyway, yea, whatever anyone thinks would be good I hate to lose access to this spot.
Mark Johnson

Postby Kevin Dobson » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:20 am

I made a call as soon as I saw the signs not thinking that it was the weekend or that I would make a post. Kerry Gee returned my call first thing Monday morning. I told him I was concerned about losing the field after riding there the last 5 seasons. His only question was if I was using the field to make money. He said the concern was they had spent a million dollars on fixing the wetlands there on the east end. Anyhow, he said to give him a call back in a few weeks.
Kevin Dobson

Postby lesvierra » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:03 pm

Just a quick thought. In your conversations with the Man, or woman. It may be usefull to get kiteutah.com, ie, Brian, Heather or utahwindriders.org involved as a organization that can be a kite specific group that can manage the area for the land owner. This may not be applicable, but if the owner's interests are looked after by a responsible party while still be able to provide public access, they might feel more comfortable. Just a thought, for the bag.
lesvierra

Postby Ralph Morrison » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:44 am

If Kerry is concerned about people using his property to make money then I think we should approach him as non-profit UWA.
Ralph Morrison

Postby bordy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:49 am

Ralph let talk about this on the beach! As far as parking went Last year the Bus drivers asked us to park in the lot and not on the rode as it made it harder for them to get in and out with us on the road. I checked daily with the driver there daily doing work on the busses last comment he made was that we gave him some thing to watch to help pass the hours in the cold, Only issue I saw was blocking in any busses....

Les, let us handle this on our end we can make it happen. I think its best to leave it up to the locals that ride this spot.

Lets make sure that we let them know its only used as a rec area not a teaching or lesson site!
BB
bordy

Postby Ralph Morrison » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:56 pm

Billy, I have no problem discussing this on the beach, and locals should be the most involved, but I agree with Les that an organization has more clout. I think the discussion should be kept open so everybody understands what's going on and can participate. Even people that aren't directly effected.
This spring we had the problem with Rush lake, and now Richardson. Who knows what's next? We as a group should be willing to help each other out if the locals need help.
This is my opinion but I've got the feeling that Talisker will be more willing to appease us if they think we are a large group instead of a few individuals.

bordy wrote: Only issue I saw was blocking in any busses....BB

That's exactly it.
Ralph Morrison

Postby lesvierra » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:09 pm

Les, let us handle this on our end we can make it happen. I think its best to leave it up to the locals that ride this spot.

I agree.

Ralph, I agree with you too. I think the locals are lucky to have you as a spokes person. Let us know if you need anything.
lesvierra

Postby bordy » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:57 am

Last year, Talisker was the owner, Jake and I spoke with several folks in talisker trucks about us using the location and parking.

We were all asked to park in the lot and told the field was free to use.

I have been Riding dirt bikes there since 96 and seen the site change ownership a bunch. As of last winter with the same owners as this we where just fine. There are still lots of groups using the property to recreate, Dog walks hiking, hunting and shooting as well as my punk ass on my dirt bike.

I think the signs are really there to keep the nightly shinaniggins down I have seen everything go down out there from drug deals, to young lovers hiding in the hills. I am assuming thats why the cheap home depot style signs are out.

I would think If talisker really wanted to close it to all use it would have some signs that mirrior their other ventures.

My plan is to start riding there when it snows, there are a ton of kiters who never visit this forum that I know will do the same. If we are an issue then I would assume they will tell us so.

Better to beg forgivness and have a shot at riding then get nixed on the phone before there is even snow...

On a side not Kerry Gee is the Brother of a old Fishing buddy and PC fire Cheif Kelly Gee. If it goes crazy I may be able to pull that string.
bordy

Next

Return to Main Message Board