Where to Ride 1/16

Moderators: Josh Shirley, Craig Goudie, RickHeninger

Forum rules
-Each forecaster has their own topic. Forecasters reply to their own posts. This forum is READ ONLY. You can not reply in this forum.
-We've set this up so you can subscribe to a forecast. Following these guidelines will guarantee that people recieve the forecasts they want.
Thanks again to Craig since before 99' and Kenny since 08' for the forecasts.
Disclaimer
-Forecasts are for entertainment purposes only. (Hopefully we are entertaining enough to provide an occasional chuckle.) All windriders are free to choose their locations and conditions, and are responsible for the risks thereof.

Where to Ride 1/16

Postby Kenny » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:15 am

The forecast today does not look promising with high pressure aloft, but there is still wind moving on the high ridgelines so I am going to say check the observations before you go. I am going to keep an eye on it today and I will post if I see anything.

Skyline - pull out your magic eightball, I wouldn't make the drive unless I had a backup plan - cross-country ski touring, snowmobiling, snowshoeing. You might get rides or your might sit around all day.
Strawberry - keep your eye on the new wind meter, it appears to be accurate. Wind tends to pick up in the early afternoon.
Sulphur Creek - same deal, check the actual observations.

There is practically no chance today at the lower elevations due to inversion. The one possibility is the ice near the dam at PV. However, a few weeks ago when I drove by it was not frozen yet. Not sure of the current status.

Tomorrow does not look promising for wind again, but there is a weak disturbance passing by tonight that may give us some upper level winds, keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned...
Kenny
Site Admin

Re: Where to Ride 1/16

Postby whit » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:16 am

Looking at the new Strawberry River Station.....Wed and Thursday, it picked up at 2PM and died at 4PM. Wed mid teens, Thurs high teens NW just for 2 hours. Will it happen again today ?? MesoWest is down right now, but MesoNet is up. FYI Whit
whit

Postby Kenny » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:48 pm

Whit,

I saw the same thing happen at Strawberry, hence my caveat of checking the wind observations at Strawberry and Sulphur. There is also wind on the high ridgelines. Riders with snowmobiles have a real advantage. It does make me wonder about Skyline - it may be giving up some rides.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby ChrisPSherwin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:03 pm

Kenny, I suspect that you have done this...But can you post the link to the Strawberry river wind meter?

Chris
ChrisPSherwin

Postby Kenny » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:56 pm

Chris,

Here you go:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/current/meso.wfrnt.php

BTW, looks like good north wind again today beginning around 2 PM. I hope someone had time to check it out. Let's hope it happens again tomorrow!

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby Kenny » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:05 pm

Here is the link to the photo cam. I could not tell by looking at it if there is wind or not. I suggest that someone ties a fluroscent streamer to one of the snow barriers so that we have visual indicator.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/camera/sing ... Summit.php
Kenny
Site Admin

Return to Forecasts - Where to Ride