1/29 Strawberry Live Update

Moderators: Josh Shirley, Craig Goudie, RickHeninger

Forum rules
-Each forecaster has their own topic. Forecasters reply to their own posts. This forum is READ ONLY. You can not reply in this forum.
-We've set this up so you can subscribe to a forecast. Following these guidelines will guarantee that people recieve the forecasts they want.
Thanks again to Craig since before 99' and Kenny since 08' for the forecasts.
Disclaimer
-Forecasts are for entertainment purposes only. (Hopefully we are entertaining enough to provide an occasional chuckle.) All windriders are free to choose their locations and conditions, and are responsible for the risks thereof.

1/29 Strawberry Live Update

Postby Kenny » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:02 pm

Sometimes, you just need to get out there for a live report. This AM, I roused myself at 5 and went out to Strawberry. No wind at the river, coop, ladders, a breath of wind at the viewspot just after the ladders, another couple miles down the road at the cabins and bang wind out of the SW at 15-20. Snow conditions were pretty good though the coverage is a bit spotty by the road. Ride over to the cabins and it gets much better. Not a good place for beginners due to various obstacles (sage, fences, cabins, power lines, etc.), but if you can ride with your kite in the air all the time, it is mighty sweet out there as there is so much territory to explore. I found some nice powder stashes, natural half-pipes, etc.

Unfortunately, I had to leave so that you could sleep in your comfortable bed until a late hour and then wake-up to a live update. Would your momma do that for you, would your girlfriend/wife? Can you feel the love?
Kenny
Site Admin

Re: 1/29 Strawberry Live Update

Postby Sarah Ranes » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:11 pm

Very Impressive! thanks for all you are do Kenny! I appreciate the beginners comments, I'm learing from them. SR
Sarah Ranes

Postby Kenny » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:39 pm

Sarah,

I have been talking a lot with a relatively new kiteboarder, Kyrk Wright. As we discuss the issues that he has been dealing with I have been able to give him solutions that have been helpful. I have been kiteboarding for 9 years, so I sometimes take certain skills as second nature. I will work on a post for the beginner's board with some helpful tips.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby Ralph Morrison » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:19 pm

Kenny,
Do you think this is a spot that we could count on when it's blowing southwesterly?
Ralph Morrison

Postby Kenny » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:07 pm

Ralph,

First of all, Did you get back in time to ride Strawberry the last few days. If so, you went from epic Maui to epic Strawberry and missed the crappy rain/inversion plague we had for 10 days.

Good question, I don't know for sure.

When we have pre-frontal SW winds, I usually go to the Marina or Ladders. My experience has been that you need a strong south flow to get any wind at all at Strawberry and then it seems to blow intermittently.

The wind today was not pre-frontal, rather it was a west wind with a bit of a southern cant to it.

Perhaps, others with more riding time at the cabins can weigh in. Billy, Tom Reynolds, or Brian S. probably have a better idea than I do.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby Ralph Morrison » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:59 am

I was back but I've been at work ski patrolling. The skiing has been good so I can't complain too much.

Kenny wrote:
The wind today was not pre-frontal, rather it was a west wind with a bit of a southern cant to it.

Yeah, that makes sense. I was hoping there was a slot somewhere where the south wind makes it through.
Ralph Morrison

Postby bordy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:10 pm

Kenny wrote:Ralph,

First of all, Did you get back in time to ride Strawberry the last few days. If so, you went from epic Maui to epic Strawberry and missed the crappy rain/inversion plague we had for 10 days.

Good question, I don't know for sure.

When we have pre-frontal SW winds, I usually go to the Marina or Ladders. My experience has been that you need a strong south flow to get any wind at all at Strawberry and then it seems to blow intermittently.

Perhaps, others with more riding time at the cabins can weigh in. Billy, Tom Reynolds, or Brian S. probably have a better idea than I do.

Kenny

The cabins will fire if there is enough west but not to much south. We also rode the Marina on thursday afternoon, the coverage at the cabins is to pron to kite tears for me. Just one more storm and its on there
bordy

Return to Forecasts - Where to Ride