Giving begginers some room.

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Giving begginers some room.

Postby bordy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:23 pm

I would just like to take a moment to remind everyone in the community that being a begginer is very scary.

I know how much fun the inside butter can be a lincoln beach but this is also the best place in UT to learn to Kite, for the first time yesterday I had a student stop his lesson becuase several kiters, just needed the extra 30 yards of reach into the shallow water right in front and or behind several begginers.

I now have to go out on another day and teach instead of being able to kite persoanlly, since I could not use the shallowed water inside to share the stoke of our sport during a great wind day with another new kiter.

It is just heart braking to watch a begginer finnaly get their board on and become brave enough to sign there kite and make a power stroke only to have a rider come ripping in only 5 yards down wind then turn around and reach right back out in frount so that the student has to stop and start all over again, most times haveing to walk back up wind to make up the ground they lost only to get ready to power stroke again when the same rider comes planing back by to start the cycle all over again, Then five minutes later the same rider is trying to help someone with relaunch in deep water, not even realizing how much they just hindered the inside rider, at one point another rider blocked the student from kiting 5 or 6 times in a row while trying expert, unhooked moves right after.

Perhaps I am out of line wanting to provide a nice safe environment for other kiters to learn, maybe I have chosen a poor spot at lincoln, up wind in nice safe shallow water, with plenty of room down wind to be safe. Perhaps I am being rude by hoping people whould be kind enough provide some space around the begginers but thats what I am asking.

Please stay up wind of the new folks where they are down wind and have the right of way so they can try to kite!

Also please be aware they are not going to lower their kite while standing out in open water not moving, I heard more then one kiter yell "lower your kite" as they buzzed 5 meters up wind from a guy flying a kite in the water for the first time ever. If a rider is riding they must yield to one that is not. That means passing in a matter that is safe, that means if you can't place your kite between you and the non moving rider with out them lowering there kite, YOU are unsafe and at fault.

I wish I could express the frustration these begginers are faced with and how much more diffacult it is for them to learn becuase of the actions and poor decisions made by "very" experanced kiters wanting another 30 yards of kiting in shallow water. I watched riders huck spinning grabby tricks blast up wind in sick control of their kites proving what sick kiters they are, then scare the crap out of a guy flying a kiting in the water for the first time ever. This is horrible to the begginers, and has aggravated me, and increased they time nessasary to learn meaning I personally miss out on kiting also. I think I am a great ambassador in the sport but last night was the first time I wanted to yell and scream at others out in the water. Please help me out by providing space for other to learn on the inside. I know I have probably helped you out at some time or another? Plus when you make my lessons longer you increase my work time and shorten my play time so your screwing the student and me!

I would also like to thank the other riders who did make courtous decision, turning around well away from the begginers and giving them plenty of room, funny thing was most of these riders where just begginers a few years back like my self and perhaps remember what it was like to be spooked, while expert riders were mear meters away treating the new guys like they should be seasoned pros!

Please be courteous!!!!!

Thank you! :))) :))) :)))

Billy
bordy

Re: Giving begginers some room.

Postby lesvierra » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:36 pm

kudos to you billy, for losing a day yourself and sharing the stoke!
lesvierra

Postby jason morton » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:13 pm

Billy- Give us some names!!!
jason morton

Postby John Guay » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:13 pm

Thanks for your post Billy.

I've been working in the ski business managing ski schools for over 30 years and another dozen in the early windsurfing days of Hood River. Beginners are the life blood of these industries. You've got to be replacing the people who eventually drop out. Beginners need posative first time experiences or they don't come back.

In skiing beginners freak out when other skiers get too close and those other skiers are usually advanced skiers. Unfortunately in the the ski world a lot of skiers see the beginners in ski school as problem and we in management need to get them out of the way. I have to say kiting has been really refreshing. The advanced riders are allways helpful, welcoming and encouraging. Having a forum like this website is awesome. I suspect everyone who read your post will be more aware next time they ride and provide a little more space for the newbies.

John
John Guay

Postby bordy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:37 pm

Big thanks!!!! :))) :))) :))) to all who gave the begginers some room last night! everyone went home happy!!!

I am off to DC!! wooo hoooo.....
bordy

Postby Kenny » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:22 pm

Billy,

I was guilty of riding about 50 feet in front of one of your newbies (I did not jump anywhere near any of them). I didn't want to come in that close for a jibe, but the wind had backed off and I had another newbie right behind me. When there are a lot of kites on the water, sometimes it gets a bit crazy.

Monday night was a zoo at UL. Not only were kiters throwing tricks and jibes where you were trying to teach, but there was also a lot of traffic in general. Even if you eliminated the kooks jumping nearby, you still would have enough traffic just going in and out of the launch zone to make any newbie quiver in their boots. My suggestion is to move your lesson downwind a bit and further out on busy evenings. It is going to be much safer than trying to teach a lesson where riders are continually entering and exiting the water.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby hedquista » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:00 pm

Billy,

I too am guilty of the offense. You did how ever yell at me and I tried to correct my infraction immediately.

I was sick and tired of the traffic on monday and tried to relive the problem by moving down wind myself to throw my tricks. It is hard to negotiate coming in and out of the landing area with the beginners so close to shore and so far up wind. I think Kenny is right in asking to move down wind just a few yards. it might be a thought to make bright colored buoys(spray painted milk jugs or 2 liter bottles tethered to a rock) that we can designate a small region for the beginners to toss them selfs around. Just something that others can see to know to stay out of their way. If you think this will help let me know and i will help get these made and set up.

Sorry again and I hope we can help solve this.

Alex
hedquista

Postby chris_nugent » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:47 pm

I am a beginner, and I took a lesson from Billy, (thanks again), However to say put beginners in a small spot is easier said than done.... I know kite control, for most of you is second nature.... when your beginning (as you might remember) it takes all your attention to just get from launching to riding area. I know that we are a nuisance while learning, but try to remember the people that helped you while learning..... We just want to get better and enjoy the water, the last thing we are trying to do is ruin your day, or riding area.
thanks
chris_nugent

Postby CPratt » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:20 am

I am one of the noobs Billy has been instructing over the last week. Monday and Tuesday were my first days on the water and I had a great time. Billy is a great, patient instructor (thanks for all who suggested him). I agree with Chris...the last thing I ever want to do, and was worried about on Monday, is make another kiter, or anyone else for that matter, salty because I am in there way.
Thanks to Billy, Don, Mark, John, Tyler and everyone else who gave me encouragement on my first days. If there is anyone salty because I was in the way I am sorry and will try to stay down wind more and further out (in fact Billy had me make that correction on Tuesday).
Have a good one and hope to see you all out there when we have wind again.

Chad (the guy floundering on the board)
CPratt

Postby hedquista » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:57 am

you noobs are never really in the way. We know who you are and will try to give you the room you need. I know that i was very appreciative when i was learning that the better kiters would give down wind so i could attempt to stay up wind even though they had right of way. WE will do better in the future to accommodate everyone. I think it is just new to the utah kite community to see this many kites on the water. It is starting to remind me of hood river when i lived there.

see you on the water tonight at lincoln
Alex
hedquista

Return to Main Message Board