Angulo Boards

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Angulo Boards

Postby JeffGerke » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:08 am

Are Angulo Boards decent? Here is one I found on sale at Windance. I called and the they said the board is in mint condition. It is a 2006. Would 125L be too small for me. I'm about 160-165 pounds and can water start. Not sure what the sail range would be but the guy at Windance thought it could handle up to around 8.0 or 8.5.

http://www.windance.com/125-liter-angul ... -4874.html
JeffGerke

Re: Angulo Boards

Postby Craig Goudie » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi Jeff,

I used that very board as an example for Adam on another thread. At 160 lbs though, you case is a little different.
I'm pretty sure the board would carry an 8.0 no problem (Angulo claims it will carry a 9.5),
but "too small", is hard to define. That board will float
you and your rig, but it will be tippier, than say a Sumo 155, which might be a better choice at your weight,
if you're looking for a board to uphaul. SInce you say you can waterstart, I'm not sure what too small is.

The 125 is narrower by about 3 CM and shorter by about 6 CMs as I recall, so if you want that board to plane you
up on a 11MPH DC kinda day you're going to have to do a lot pumping and ooching at your weight, with an 8.0.

I think I might recommend something a little more free formula (and wider) if what you're looking for is early planing.

-Craig

ps, I think sombody on this board, maybe Dimitri, is riding a 105 Sumo these days at Grantsville

JeffG wrote:Are Angulo Boards decent? Here is one I found on sale at Windance. I called and the they said the board is in mint condition. It is a 2006. Would 125L be too small for me. I'm about 160-165 pounds and can water start. Not sure what the sail range would be but the guy at Windance thought it could handle up to around 8.0 or 8.5.

http://www.windance.com/125-liter-angul ... -4874.html
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby JeffGerke » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:08 am

Thanks Craig. I think maybe I will hold out till I can find a decent Starboard GO or something similar. I'm thinking the Starboard GO 133 or 144 would be ideal for me. Or maybe the Futura in the same sizes. I'll be in the Gorge in another week or so and do some shopping their. Big Winds rents Starboards so I could try one out. Guess they have rentals right at the Event Site.
JeffGerke

Postby Craig Goudie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:41 am

Hey Jeff, Most of the Surfrats will be up there next week, or the week after. I'll be back up on the 24th.
PM me if you like when you get there, and we can troll the shops. I must tell you though, a Go board, and
the Gorge are not very representative of any sailing in Utah ;^) maybe you'll get a 14MPh day, but I doubt it.
Those Starboard choices are all good ones, you might want to PM Josh also to see if he can hook you up with his
instructor/distributor discount.

-Craig

JeffG wrote:Thanks Craig. I think maybe I will hold out till I can find a decent Starboard GO or something similar. I'm thinking the Starboard GO 133 or 144 would be ideal for me. Or maybe the Futura in the same sizes. I'll be in the Gorge in another week or so and do some shopping their. Big Winds rents Starboards so I could try one out. Guess they have rentals right at the Event Site.
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Emmanuel Pons » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:55 pm

JeffG wrote:Are Angulo Boards decent? Here is one I found on sale at Windance. I called and the they said the board is in mint condition. It is a 2006. Would 125L be too small for me. I'm about 160-165 pounds and can water start. Not sure what the sail range would be but the guy at Windance thought it could handle up to around 8.0 or 8.5.

I have that board (I also have the amigu 7'4" and the supergu 112) and I really like it. It is more freeridish than race oriented but jibe like a dream. It is perfect with an 8.0 although these days I mostly ride it with my 9.0 (I am 160 # as well).
Best fin for the 8.0 was a good freeride base G-sport in 40 cm.
Board is super solid as well (I am not the best board care taker and it does great).

So yeah go for it!
Emmanuel Pons

Postby JeffGerke » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:23 pm

Windance sold the board I was looking at. However I am excited to be the first one on the list for buying their 2009 Angulo Sumo 125 rental. I kind of wish it was a little bit bigger board volume wise but I think it will work well. I rented a Starboard GO 122 at the Event Site last month and did fine on that. I've only heard good things about the Sumo's.

Another board that I am looking at is a Bic Techno Evolution 135. I can get a brand new never used one of these for $700 + shipping. I doubt the price on the Sumo will be that low even thought it is used. But I assume the Sumo would be a better board.

Any thoughts on these options? If anyone wants to give me gear advice off the forum send me an email. mtntrailrunner@hotmail.com
JeffGerke

Postby Sarah Ranes » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:26 am

Hi Jeff, If you are interested, 2nd Wind in Hood River had a Starboard Futura 133, in very good condition, I think it was $950 or so. the prices do drop there on a reagular schedule, so it could be even cheaper now. Every one I know, loves the futura, so give it some thought. SR
Sarah Ranes

Postby JeffGerke » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:13 pm

Thanks Sarah. I think I saw the Futura you are talking about when I was up there a couple weeks ago. It did look like a nice board but a little more than I wanted to spend on a used one. Maybe I'll call up there and see if the price goes down.
JeffGerke

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum