Saratoga Springs 9-21-2009 5.8m 100 liter

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

Saratoga Springs 9-21-2009 5.8m 100 liter

Postby Josh Shirley » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:02 pm

Mike convinced me to go to the west side instead of Provo boat harbor.

The wind was really good. Lots of screaming reaches. The chop is really close together on the North end of the lake. I sailed until the mountain shadow was about half way across the lake. Really fun and I need more wind!!!!!

We had a small rescue, Mark (I hope that is right, he was using Manny's flying pig Naish) got blown down pretty far down wind. He ended up ditching his sail and swimming his board back to shore. When I reached him down the shore he was having a hard time walking because is legs were cramping up and he was so cold. The paramedics showed up and packed him in hot packs and blankets. After warming up he was able to get home in good shape. I hope the experience doesn't ruin is taste for windsurfing. Unfortunately there weren't any boats around to help out. The water is getting colder.
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Re: Saratoga Springs 9-21-2009 5.8m 100 liter

Postby Emmanuel Pons » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:01 pm

Josh Shirley wrote:We had a small rescue, Mark (I hope that is right, he was using Manny's flying pig Naish) got blown down pretty far down wind. He ended up ditching his sail and swimming his board back to shore. When I reached him down the shore he was having a hard time walking because is legs were cramping up and he was so cold. .

Damn. Sounds like the board is alright though.

;)
No seriously that's pretty scary stuff. He said he was getting back into windsurfing. Utah Lake can be pretty mean.
Pretty bummed I missed that session :(
Emmanuel Pons

Postby Mark Fong » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:12 pm

Thanks again Josh for helping me out today. im fine, more embarrassed than anything - the paddle of shame. just getting back into the sport after about 20 years of dormancy which really didnt affect me until today. i was only on a 5.5 but felt overpowered and no harness. my clew kept sinking in the chop so i had a difficult time water starting. i started cramping after trying to uphaul on that board and then i knew i was screwed. the rig was pieced together from old used, mostly free stuff so it wasnt a terrible loss. ill be back out as soon as my pride heals. thanks also to Matt (Mike?) who checked on me out there as well.
Mark Fong

Postby Mark Fong » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:17 pm

yes Manny, the board is fine :)
Mark Fong

Postby Mike Egan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:42 am

Glad you are ok. It was an interesting downwinder completely overpowered on the 5.8. Got there around 2 and got on the water around 4 with a lightly powered 5.8 and 117 liters. Then dropped to the 95, then gutted the 5.8 and it was full on 4.7 for 45 mins. This is when I did the downwinder to Mark, had a great slam on my way. Got back in two tacks and the wind was backing down to 5.2 and stayed there for another hour then to 5.8 for the last hour. Sick seesion with about 4 hours on the water in op conditions. Manny I tried one loop and kill myself. I can tell this is going to be a long painfully move to learn. :oo
michael egan
Mike Egan
Windsurfer

Postby kenonstott » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:38 am

Heck Mike, you missed my complete forward loop. Oh yeah, it was because a breaking wave hit my feet and stopped them cold while the rest of me went flying. My 1st real sesh at UL this year was an absolute blast.
The Older Gentleman (ask Josh)
Ken Onstott
Sailing both the Gorge and Utah on my 8'2" HiTech and my 3 Starboards; Sonic 85L, S-Type 115L, and Carve 135L. Small quiver is Northwave, larger sails are Ezzy and Sailworks. Often in my white Odyssey but also in my wife's motor home.
kenonstott

Postby Leo Chan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:45 pm

Josh Shirley wrote:We had a small rescue, Mark (I hope that is right, he was using Manny's flying pig Naish) got blown down pretty far down wind. He ended up ditching his sail and swimming his board back to shore.

Mark, and for anyone who might got stuck in the future, one way to get around ditching the sail is de-rigging the sail and use the outhaul line at the boom and the downhaul line at the extension to tide the sail, boom and mast and swim the board with the rig back. It might take a little bit long time. But it would save the rig.
Leo Chan

Postby JimSouthwick » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:33 am

As Leo says, it's certainly possible to save the rig by taking it apart and tying it to the deck of the board, but it's not worth the trouble if you're getting really cold. Mark is to be congratulated on having the good sense to ditch the rig this time; rigs can be replaced!
JimSouthwick

Postby Emmanuel Pons » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:31 am

Leo Chan wrote:Mark, and for anyone who might got stuck in the future, one way to get around ditching the sail is de-rigging the sail and use the outhaul line at the boom and the downhaul line at the extension to tide the sail, boom and mast and swim the board with the rig back. It might take a little bit long time. But it would save the rig.

While it is true, and I have done exactly that when I broke my mast in Utah Lake 2 years ago, it makes paddling much much harder (I actually swam next to it towing it as I could not paddle while on top of everything). After nearly 2 hours of swimming I was pretty close to shore when a boat picked me up but was incredibly exhausted (probably much more so that If I had ditch everything.. sail was brand new though!!).

Fun fact? IT WAS ON THAT VERY SAME BOARD MARK WAS USING!!
Emmanuel Pons

Postby Josh Shirley » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:04 am

You sold Mark a cursed board!
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby Josh Shirley » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:29 am

Something to consider.

At the onset of hypothermia, you will realize you are cold. Shivering may occur but will be controlled when you become active. As hypothermia continues, your feet will feel stiff, your muscles will become tense and you will feel fatigued and weak. Then, your skin will take on a waxy pallor and numbness will occur.

When the hypothermia is at a mild level, uncontrolled shivering will grip your entire body. Joints will become stiff and uncomfortable when you move. At this point, you will still be alert but will lose coordination. Most victims of hypothermia deny they have a problem and become difficult to deal with. Denial is the main reason that so many cases of hypothermia are fatal.

As moderate hypothermia takes over your body temperature ranges between 93 and 95 degrees, shivering will become less intense. Normal activity becomes uncomfortable because your blood vessels are severely restricted. At this stage, you have poor coordination and trouble keeping your balance. Your speech may become slurred and you will appear to be in a state of intoxication. You will no longer be able to make responsible decisions and will experience feelings of apathy and confusion. Your breathing will become shallow and you will experience an overwhelming urge to sleep.

As body core temperature decreases, severe hypothermia sets in. You will be extremely weak, your skin will turn blue and eye pupils will become dilated. At this stage you will still deny that a problem exists and may become violent. Unconsciousness will gradually take over. Breathing will become so shallow that you will appear to be dead.
When hypothermia reaches this level, your only hope is to be taken to a medical facility where you can be warmed properly.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby DaveHubbel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:03 pm

I'll second Mark for making a great decision at the right time. I have seen my wife get beyond the first stage of hypothermia while surfing in Chile. At the end of a day I had to go out and get her when she was doing a buoy impersonation way outside at the top of a long pointbreak and she was pretty apathetic about leaving the water or catching a wave or really doing anything for that matter. Judgment definitely leaves the building at a fairly early point, dress warmer than you think.
DaveHubbel

Postby June Akrs » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:07 pm

Hey Mark,thanks for posting your story, a cautionary tale as we dress for the chilly Fall seshes. I am curious -- were you wearing rubber? How much? (I'm normally a chilly-willy, so am looking for some guidelines to what would have been suitable for UL this time of year.)

I'm sorry you're first time back after a big hiatus ended in misery, hopefully you had some fun runs that reminded you how much fun it can be. I think the only cure is more time with wind on the water! :)
June Akrs

Postby Mark Fong » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:00 pm

I was wearing a full wetsuit but im the last one to get equipment advice from. its a little big on me and not very thick. i could use one of those new slick flotation vests as well. i have learned from this also that there is a cool group of windsurfers here and I'm glad you guys are around. thanks!
Mark Fong

Return to Wind Log