Weather Stations

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Weather Stations

Postby whit » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:48 pm

I just got back in town for the winter and noticed that a lot of last year's good snowkiting weather stations are not up on the Mesowest. What happened to all the stations at Powder Mountain? Augie? Today looks good at PowMow out of the SW, extrapolating from Ogden Peak and Logan Peak.

I wonder if UDOT will put their mobile sensor back at Strawberry River again? That was excellent last year. I do see a new camera at the UDOT Maintenance Station right next to Chicken Creek East, maybe someone can erect a windsock in view of the camera? Check it at commuterlink.utah.gov then click on the camera symbol just north of the reservoir. There is a new camera at Daniels Summit, a couple new ones at Skyline (SR-31) too, but we need the anemometer readings at all these places. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the data? I believe there are anemometers next to most of these cameras. The Skyline station on the Mesowest does seem to be right next to the camera at SR-31 mile marker 13.

Marty, Kenny any more ideas for weather station data? Happy New Year to All. Whit
whit

Re: Weather Stations

Postby Brian Fox » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:34 pm

ya whats up with Powder Mt. gauge? I thought it was gonna be working soon.
Brian Fox

Postby Marty Lowe » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:24 am

whit wrote:Marty, Kenny any more ideas for weather station data? Happy New Year to All. Whit

I've been searching the web for more meters also,,, no luck..
except new meters in the Uintah's this year,
but that doesn't help our road side kiting..

Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Postby Mark Johnson » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:50 am

Message on facebook from Mesowest that the stations are down.
Mark Johnson

Postby whit » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:24 pm

Yesterday, I rode at Chicken Creek East from 3 to 4:30, quite light NW, but good on the Reservoir. I stopped by the UDOT Maintenance shed and saw a red/ orange windsock next to the road. Now I can see it in the middle of the webcam there. It is a small normal aviation windsock on a sturdy post, just south of the road. Look closely and you can see it.

Augie, any word on the Pow Mow sensors going on line? Whit G
whit

Postby Augie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:12 am

Whit, I haven't been ignoring you-I just got back in town last night. I don't know about the Pow Mow gauge or when it will be up. I quit the ski patrol this year, so I am not in the loop like in the past. I will ask around though.
Augie

Postby lesvierra » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:54 am

Last I heard, the gauge was working just fine after last years lightning strike. Someone I spoke to at the UDOT traffic center said someone had to work out some "IT" issues to get it back on line? If interested you can try and get more info with the contact info below.

UDOT Traffic Center
Ph: 801-887-3700 (Operations)
Ph: 801-887-3710 (Administration)
lesvierra

Postby whit » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:30 am

[quote="lesvierra"]Last I heard, the gauge was working just fine after last years lightning strike. Someone I spoke to at the UDOT traffic center said someone had to work out some "IT" issues to get it back on line? [/quote]

Les, Which Gauge are you referring to here operated by UDOT??

Also, after closer inspection of the http://www.commuterlink.utah.gov/ Strawberry Web Cam, it does not show their red windsock. It is just one of those black roadside flags in the picture. The camera also looks to be many yards west of the Maintenance Station now, gotta look closer next time I'm there. Whit
whit

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:22 pm

Whit,

I wish I had some more information - I don't. However, I appreciate you for looking into this issue further. I really miss the onsite wind meters.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby lesvierra » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:41 pm

I was refering to the pow mow gauge on top of the ski patrol hut.?
lesvierra

Postby whit » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:36 pm

Hooray!!!! It looks like our Strawberry River Sensor just came back on line today at 3PM MST. UTPRT on the Mesowest, and it looks like it is located right where it was last winter. Some nice wind today in the mid teens, need to go see it in person. Whit G
whit

Return to Main Message Board