STRAWS RIVER 02/Thursday/2010

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

STRAWS RIVER 02/Thursday/2010

Postby David Kyle » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:03 pm

Had another stellar day out at the river with Trevor, Pete and a few other forgotten names. The wind meter at the summit read in the mid twenties most of the day,
but we never saw all of it as I was never fully juiced on 17m Waroo. Snow today was pretty dam nice with the colder temps. Pete rode 16m Waroo until he
exploded the leading edge, which was hilarious, sorry Pete, It was. He rode 12m Nemi powered the rest of the day. He also pulled a double kite loop at 25+, which I dont think I would like to see again :oo,
Trevor keeps progressing quickly with a style all his own and I just feel the need to go higher and farther. Hope I will know when to say when.
David Kyle

Re: STRAWS RIVER 02/Thursday/2010

Postby mike loeser » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:55 pm

Stopped off at Strawberry river with a few kites in the air. Rode up wind for a while then went down to the big hill to the south where everyone else was. I had fun watching David, Trevor and Peter huck and glide. Entertaining stuff. Had some good snow with light winds. A few moments where I couldn't tell if I was airborne or on the ground beIcause the visibility was horrible for a while.
Good times. Hopefully get another good next Thurs.
Mike L.
mike loeser

Postby bordy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:12 am

David Kyle wrote:Had another stellar day out at the river with Trevor, Pete and a few other forgotten names. The wind meter at the summit read in the mid twenties most of the day,
but we never saw all of it as I was never fully juiced on 17m Waroo. Snow today was pretty dam nice with the colder temps. Pete rode 16m Waroo until he
exploded the leading edge, which was hilarious, sorry Pete, It was. He rode 12m Nemi powered the rest of the day. He also pulled a double kite loop at 25+, which I dont think I would like to see again :oo,
Trevor keeps progressing quickly with a style all his own and I just feel the need to go higher and farther. Hope I will know when to say when.

You guys really need to to drive down the road to Chicken Creek the wind is better, I was lite on seventeen. Strawberry river just doesn't get the same wind when ther is west in it, only when there is more north. I pulled several double loops on my seventeen, on purpose of course , So if you want to see it again come ride with us...
bordy

Postby mike loeser » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:50 pm

So what is the ideal wind for each location? I never know which place to go to on a given day. I think the River has the best terrain features myself and its the first stop. If it looks rideable that's where I end up. Wind is hard to compare unless you are moving from site to site on a given day or have someone at both places. I take it from what you are saying the best wind for each spot would be:
Full west - Marina?
NW - Chicken
N - River
S - ?
E - ?

Would be nice to have a cheat sheet like that. Maybe it is already posted on the Local sites, haven't looked at that in a while.

Mike L.
mike loeser

Postby Kenny » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:15 pm

It is not that tough to figure. Just look at the terrain and you will see which directions are blocked.
Here is a quick cheat sheet.
Strawberry River - NW and SE
Marina - SW and W
Chicken Creek East NW, W, and SE
Coop - NW
Ladders - NW, W, SW
Cabins - NW, W (Wind usually blows strongest at Cabins, but the coverage is also more sparse there).
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby mike loeser » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:11 am

Thanks Kenny for the cheat sheet. Granted the terrain says where the wind should be strongest, but I have noticed a few times that the marina is windy and ladders is dead on a westerly. They are a half hour apart driving time, so things could have changed in that length of time. I've also noticed that Strawberry River is windier upriver from the parking lot, independent of the wind direction. I'd imagine a bit of venturi? effect coming out of the canyon there. On decent wind days this might not matter, but I'd like to be in the right spot on some of those more questionable ones. Any insight is much appreciated.
It'd probably be best to just put a GPS device on Billy, cause he seems to always end up at the right place!
Mike L.
mike loeser

Return to Wind Log