8/4, Friday, J-Bay, 6.0, 185L Go, 14" Foil

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.

Moderators: Craig Goudie, RickHeninger, Josh Shirley

Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

8/4, Friday, J-Bay, 6.0, 185L Go, 14" Foil

Postby obzansky » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:10 am

Just posting to celebrate my first foil session. Jordanelle had 10 to 20 mph going mid-day. Very surprised that I was able to get that big, heavy 185L Go board up on the foil with a 6.0. Beautiful day with a moderate amount of non-motorized boating. Launched just south of the water park and sailed most of the time in the no wake area between the PWC area and the sometimes island.
obzansky

Re: 8/4, Friday, J-Bay, 6.0, 185L Go, 14" Foil

Postby rob smith » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:53 pm

Nice,
Would like to know about your set up and how you liked the foil. I'm sure there are others in Salt lake that are tempted to try foiling.
Rob Smith
rob smith

Postby obzansky » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:17 am

Rob,

I'm using the Slingshot system. Lots of good information on gear and windsurfing foiling here:
http://www.foil-academy.com/courses/wind-foil-academy
With this system, one starts on a shorter mast (14") and then progresses to longer masts.

My goal is to be able to windsurf in light mountain winds with a big board and small sail. (J bay, DC). I'm totally amazed that in sub 20mph conditions that the big, fat, heavy Starboard Go can get on the foil with a 6.0 m sail. Dubock has a Hyper 135 that we may try. A deep Tuttle box is needed and probably best. Dave at Windance has an adaptor to allow the gear to fit a regular Tuttle box. I would probably not try to attach the foil to other kinds of boxes.

The ride is like skiing in deep fresh pow.

One cool thing is that the gear can be aggressively sailed and pumped more downwind than normal because once its on the foil it heads almost directly upwind. It may be that staying downwind is the challenge.
obzansky

Postby rob smith » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:43 am

Thanks for the feedback on the set up. Kind of like getting fat skis for powder days. Thanks
Rob
rob smith

Return to Wind Log