7/29 Sunday/Sulphur /Carve 131/7.5

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.

Moderators: Craig Goudie, RickHeninger, Josh Shirley

Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

7/29 Sunday/Sulphur /Carve 131/7.5

Postby John Dubock » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:56 am

Fingers of wind, a couple of foilers did their thing as the wind was building late. Troy got his money's worth, sailed til 5:30 as the wind train left the station for a few days. Felt great to break the cycle of no sailing for how long, too bad it's smoky skies even in Evanston. Water is warm, island is covered, farmers are working even on a Sunday. Where else can you go with no fees, nearly no boats, front row parking.
John Dubock

7/29 Sunday Sulphur 7.5, JP 119

Postby DimitriMilovich » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:45 pm

Great time from about 3:00 on when we hit the water after Don and John finished kitefoiling. We got about 3 hours of lots of fun rides, with the usual Sulphur surprises of winds shifting 30-45 degrees, microburst-like black vortexes from Hell in front of me, waterspouts, sea dragons, giant squid, etc. OK, kidding about the shifty winds.

No, really was fun. And 7.5 for me was the right call, too. Lots of cross-lake screaming reaches with not too many sub-planing moments. Troy hit it right by stopping during the lulls then mounting up into the long gusts. It seemed to steady out a bit later, like 4:30 or so. ("steady" being a relative term here)

Troy sailing with no wetsuit. I was comfy in a shorty. Gotta watch out for the submerged island(s?). One of us ran aground. Overall a stellar warm and windy PM at Sulphur.
Dimitri
DimitriMilovich

Return to Wind Log