1st Annual Utah Lake Windrider Downwinder(Who's in?)

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Moderators: Craig Goudie, RickHeninger, Josh Shirley

Postby Craig Goudie » Tue May 01, 2007 8:43 am

Well, this weekend is probably out. There's just too much moisture,
to hope for a steady North for a long period of time. I'll keep
watching.

Dropping a car (remember you are buddy sailing) at Provo Boat Harbor
could be an alternative to the bus, or you can always sail back (at your own risk).


-Craig


RickHeninger wrote:Craig, yeah... I think people will sign up at the site... Permission slip... Of course, our disclaimer is EVER PREVALENT! ;) Ride at your OWN RISK!!! hmmm... I'll call you on the next friday thing...


A couple of questions people have emailed to me about it:

Is it that difficult/strenuous?

Actually, it isn't difficult really... As long as the wind is 18+ and you have a sufficiently floaty board and big enough sail for your weight to keep you on a plane... It's really about a 30 minute trip for people with the fast down/up wind gear... And you'll want to make the trip back... It's not strenuous... And kiters are probably going to want more! ;) Don't fear the downwinder... They're not as bad as people think...

So, there might be a bus to take us back to Pelican?

We're thinking about the bus thing... It a sweet ol' school bus company that has said they'd do it for $100... Somebody, will stay with the gear until you come back around to get it... Or we can have a few vehicles that come around to taxi gear back to Pelican... I'll bet, this guy would probably allow us to put some of our gear in the bus for the trip back... That would be ideal... Then we could go back to finish up a sailing session...

Craig Goudie
Sailing the high desert lakes of Utah on my:
150 Sumo, 8'6"RRD TT, 8'2"Cross M
with Sailworks/Naish Sails

Sailing the Gorge on my:
9'1"RRD Freeride, 7'9" Open Ocean Slasher, 8'0"Hitech
with Northwave Sails
User avatar
Craig Goudie
 
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:53 am
Location: Most Likely--Doug's Beach

Postby jason morton » Tue May 01, 2007 9:56 am

We could totally launch our kites off the jetty. It would be just like launching at the hatchery. We just need assistance. I think the real issue is picking a day that is consistently windy for many hours. Not just coming up at 5pm.
jason morton
 
Posts: 851
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 2:58 pm

Postby RickHeninger » Tue May 01, 2007 4:56 pm

I will talk with Les (Marty and Jason on that committee ;) ) and work out the best/safest/smartest place for Kites to launch...

May 8th to May 25th is our window... If we have a good looking day in that time... We'll post a HEADS UP 2 to 3 days in advance (remember, I have to coordinate the support boat too, Sarah has to have time for what she plans) So, this is a bit of an orchestration...

I'll be out of town 2nd to the 5th, chinook fishing at the mouth of the Columbia river! Go figure!?!? A friend talked our company into doing this... I'm hope that I don't jump in after any windsurfers I see!

Call me w/any questions... Well, not ANY questions! 801-635-6699

Rick.
User avatar
RickHeninger
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:44 pm
Location: SLC

Postby lesvierra » Wed May 02, 2007 1:06 pm

I may be able to provide boat support services depending on what day becomes THE day. Can someone put together a map or google earth image with some text showing the proposed water route and onshore locations (or refer me to an online map). If anyone else doesnt know Utah Lake like I dont know Utah lake this could be handy for support purposes.
User avatar
lesvierra
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Eden

Postby RickHeninger » Fri May 04, 2007 8:36 pm

Posting from my PDA, shorthand...

Fished the Oregon coast today right out of Giribaldi... Rock-away beach!!! Beautiful place... Blowing 5.0 with 12 ft swell, I really wanted to be on that water... I think... Fishing Willamette tomorrow...

Marty, what's your favorite spots on the Ore. coast?


Thanks Mani... No tnanks Shirley! ;)

Cool Les...

I'm pumped for some sailing...

Rick.
User avatar
RickHeninger
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:44 pm
Location: SLC

Postby lesvierra » Wed May 09, 2007 7:55 pm

I get to help make sure things go well for the kiters. Jason, sounds like you're familiar with the jetty and the potential there for launching kiters safely. We have the job to make sure this spot will be safe enough and prethink out some of the possible kinks. Would you give me a call at 801 391 7481 or pm me your number if that function is working. Thanks..

Anybody else's thoughts or concerns for a launching safely? Rigging Area? Launching area?
User avatar
lesvierra
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Eden

I'm in - and launching of kites might be easy?

Postby DimitriMilovich » Sat May 12, 2007 7:56 am

Ya, I'll ride for sure if I'm in town. Probably sail back upwind with anyone who wants to since I've got the floaty gear. Even if it's a bit light, I may sail back.

By the way, none of us who were at Pelican last Sunday mentioned it, but the lake is really high. I'm not a kiter, but you guys should here that the water is over the top of the jetty in many places, so the kite launch may not be too difficult since the water has come way up close. There's also more sand everywhere. Not sure where it came from, but it's nice.
Hey Rick -what should we think about bringing for party supplies???
Dimitri
DimitriMilovich
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 7:16 am

Postby jaynesjared » Sat May 12, 2007 1:00 pm

i am in......let us know
jaynesjared
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:24 pm

Postby RickHeninger » Mon May 14, 2007 1:34 pm

Dimitri,

Sarah has got the party supplies under control I'm sure...


Jared/Les

Myself and Craig are keeping in close touch on the weather... Pray for a good north to come in before the 25th!!!
User avatar
RickHeninger
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:44 pm
Location: SLC

Postby Kenny » Mon May 14, 2007 2:25 pm

Today looks good. However, there probably is not enough advance notice.
User avatar
Kenny
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2286
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:59 pm

Postby RickHeninger » Wed May 16, 2007 3:28 pm

Craig and I have the system in place... He will call me 2 - 3 days before a good option... It has to be a good strong committed north...

I'm getting a little nervous... But if it doesn't happen in the Spring this year... Fall it'll happen... IF, we end up getting a STRONG NORTH coming through the weekend of the 1st and 2nd of June (which is doubtful) then we'd adjust the Beginner Day. Meaning, if the weather is to strong for a beginner day, we'd just invite the BEGINNERS to watch the crossing and come interact with EXPERIENCED sailors there...

So, IN THIS SCENARIO we have a window to the 2nd of JUNE!
User avatar
RickHeninger
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:44 pm
Location: SLC

down winder

Postby Jack Harmon » Thu May 17, 2007 7:40 am

New guy here.....I'm in.........
Jack Harmon
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:37 am
Location: Park City

Previous

Return to Main Message Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron