Swap meet and Q. for Mike!

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Moderators: Craig Goudie, RickHeninger, Josh Shirley

Swap meet and Q. for Mike!

Postby Emmanuel Pons » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:42 pm

First off, I think we'd all like to thank Mike and Powerex for their efforts toward the swap meet.

I am sure people expressed it but I feel truely lucky to see such support from Powerex for the local sailors! I hope some were able to trade some of their hidden treasures from their garage as well!

Now for the question:

Mike, as the happy owner of a build-your-own-boom, I think I forgot the notice. As I was trying to strip the aluminum one so that I could put the parts on the carbon front and rear ends, I realized I did not know how to remove the push-pin device from the existing boom. Are they glued? Any recommendation on how to switch them?
Alos there was a little 2/3" long, 1/8" diameter metal rod taped to the carbon boom front end. What is that for?

That's it.. Sorry.. All these carbony thingies go way over my head ;)

Emmanuel
Emmanuel Pons

Postby rob smith » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:18 pm

Emmanuel

I had the same issue. After a little trial and error, we succeeded. Remove both bolts (Allens) then begin to remove the metal pin by punching it out with a hammer with either the pin that the new boom came with or a similar device that can drive it at least partially out. Then you can grap the pin and twist it out using pliers or locking pliers. remove the red rubber shim and the boom clamp can be removed.

The metal rod is another pin that can be used at the hinge.

Great job Mike. Thanks for accomodating our personal requests. Its nice to have MQC and yourself close and supportive.

Rob
rob smith

Postby Emmanuel Pons » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:46 pm

Thank you!

How about the pushpins for the boom length adjustements, they seem glued. Did you twist them out to break free from the glue?
Emmanuel Pons

Postby rob smith » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:32 pm

Yes,
they are glued. One of mine was loose enough to hand twist it off. The other one, I started to loosen it with an adjustable wrench with a towell to protect the plastic from the teeth. Once you break the bond, then it will twist off.
Rob
rob smith

Return to Main Message Board