New tranplant!-Windsurfer

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

New tranplant!-Windsurfer

Postby Leo Chan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:24 pm

Hello my fellow wind junkies, I am new to Utah. I just got here couple weeks ago and I keep looking out at the beautiful lakes here and found no wind at all. :cry:

I came from Delaware, where I sailed at the bays near Rehoboth beach. I am a speed junkie. 8)

Right now, I am professor at UVU and I live in PG. If any of you are heading out to DC or Utah Lake from this area, please let me know so that we can car pool (if that's possible). Also, I am selling my 2006 Startboard GO. If any of you are looking for a good board for a good beginner/intermediate board, this one is for you. I learned most of what I know with that board. But I am in love with my new Futura! :)))

Here is my with my GO board, taken 3 months ago.

Big wind and warm wind to all!!!
Leo Chan

Re: New tranplant!

Postby Josh Shirley » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:54 pm

This new transplant forum is great.

Leo:

Awesome, I think your board will sell very quickly. I am going to send your information over to a few people I know are interested buyers. How much?

You should be able to get a lot of rides out of the Provo Boat Harbor. Especially in the evening.
Also Deer Creek provides some great fall wind, most consistently from noon to 4 pm.

Saturday, if you want to drive 45 minutes, go to Grantsville early in the morning for some fast rides. It is the smallest pond you would want to windsurf in but you could probably post your fastest GPS speeds there. Except flat water and winds 20 to 30 mph, bring your 5.2 to 6.5m sails. Get there early because the thermal typically dies off after 10:30. On our lucky days the wind holds up until noon. But looking at the forecast I bet this Saturday 12 - 15 of us addicts will be there around 7 am. Ouch that is early, but boy is it worth it.

Josh
801 859-9897
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Re: New tranplant!

Postby Steven Nyhus » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:15 pm

Leo,

Welcome to Utah! UVU is a great place. I live here in Orem and teach High School up in the south end of Salt Lake Valley. There is some great sailing around this area you probably noticed out you window at UVU that the wind was blowing out at Utah lake today. The lake is best on a north wind (usually after a frontal passage) one of the more consistant lakes is Deer Creek up Provo Canyon (especially in the spring and fall) with thermal winds. Check out Craig's forecast he is amazingly accurate with wind speeds and times. We have a great windriding community here and I look forward to seeing you on the water soon.
Steven Nyhus

Re: New tranplant!-Windsurfer

Postby Leo Chan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:46 pm

Thanks, Josh and Steven. I look forward to sailing at the Provo Bay and DC this weekend. I heard Saturday is going to be good. I hope to meet some of you out there.

Josh, I am hoping to sell the board for $600. Anyone who is interested in buying it is more than welcome to try it first.

Thanks for the welcome again. Cheers.
Leo Chan

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum