Before you buy that kite on ebay...

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Before you buy that kite on ebay...

Postby Kenny » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:24 am

Talk to a local first. We have had a number of newbies pick up a kite on ebay thinking that if a kite is designed for kiteboarding it should work. Not all kites sold on ebay work well in Utah and some of the older kites are downright unsafe. So, before you buy, post a reply here and tell us what you are thinking of buying. It can only help to get a some insight from the local crew.
Kenny
Site Admin

Re: Before you buy that kite on ebay...

Postby Erik Holmgren » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:42 am

If one couldnt afford a 12 or 13m ozone foil.. how would an 05-07 cabrinha crossbow, 12m work for backcountry kiting?

or if you have any reccomendations on where to find that kind of Ozone or Flysurfer foil for under 500$ complete... which would really be ideal..

Thanks!
Erik Holmgren

Postby Kenny » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:13 pm

Erik,

A lot of snowkiters use their summer kites on the snow. The obvious disadvantages to an LEI are you have to pump them up and they don't pack down as small. However, it depends on what type of backcountry snowkiting you plan on doing. If your plan it to use tele, AT, or splitboards to access the goods, you will want to invest in a foil. If you plan on accessing the backcountry by sled, then an LEI will work just fine.

As far as foil kites go a 2005 or newer Ozone Frenzy, Manta, or Access will work great. Keep in mind that a 9M foil is roughly equivalent to a 12M LEI. However, the wind tends to be lighter in the winter, so 10 or 12M foils are common.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby john l » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:37 pm

Hey Erik,
Kenny summed it up well I believe.
I can just tell you I have enjoyed my 06 Crossbows the past two winters. I used a 16m and a 9m, and really wished I had a 12m most of the time (I'm about 185-190 and ski) though. So I think a 12m Crossbow would be fine if that's what you already have.
Man this warm weather is making me want snow. (can't believe I just typed that)
john
john l

Postby Erik Holmgren » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:18 pm

Thanks for the info guys
Erik Holmgren

Postby DanHasleton » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:50 pm

So I was at Strawberry River last friday and learned the hard(and exhausting) way that my skis just aren't good for that much powder. I had such a hard time staying on top, and then on one occasion I sunk in, went flying, and spent the next half hour looking for my skis deep in the powder.

Anyway, I was wondering what brands and more importantly, what size/shape of skis would be recommended? I'm 6' tall and about 170 lbs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Dan
DanHasleton

Postby Mark Johnson » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:11 am

I started using skis this year and what I use is a 185cm Armada AR5 with fritschi freeride bindings. These are a fat ski with a no camber and a slight sidecut and bidirectional. They are working good for me in the pow and also hardpack. Any ski will work on the hardpack. The pow at Strawberry this weekend was difficult for even the best riders. A big board or big fat skis was the answer. Also if you were the guy I saw it looked like your kite was to small for these conditions. That is if you had the experience with a bigger kite. It was not good learning conditions. Give it a few days for the snow to settle. Then you will find that you can use a much smaller kite and use about any ski or board.
Mark Johnson

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum