Type of board for snow kiting?

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Type of board for snow kiting?

Postby jonpeachey » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:14 am

With winter rapidly approaching, I'm starting to think about converting over to snow. Is there a particular size/shape of board that works best for snow kiting?
jonpeachey

Re: Type of board for snow kiting?

Postby JCRicketts » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:57 am

I like big, symmetrical, and straight. The longer and straighter edge will get you upwind faster, symmetrical will allow equal ability in both directions. A shorter board might be the ticket if you do alot of tricks for lighter swing weight. Skis can be used in a much wider range of snow conditions, are faster, go upwind easier, but the board is still more fun to me. Plus, if you have to hike in or out, its easier to walk in snowboard boots.
You can always try anything once!
JCRicketts

Postby Kenny » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:07 pm

I agree with JC concerning, long, straight, and symmetrical. There are some kiteboarding specific snowboards, but you do not have to have one to do well.

If you have not been snowkiting yet, keep in mind that skiing is much easier the first few times. Any skis will work. I like to ski on hard pack and ride the snowboard when the surface is soft.
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby jonpeachey » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:02 pm

Thanks for the info, guys.
jonpeachey

Postby bordy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:17 am

Twisted kiteboards are a local company started and owned by local kiters! The price for the twisted board is 450 and its the best board ever made to snowkite with. Reverse camber and side cut make this a kiters dream! Check it out at www.windzup.com
bordy

Postby windzup » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:21 am

There were 2 Fav designs in my quiver since 2003....now there is a 3rd.

The first was the Steep Water 179 twin...long and straighter edges that worked amazing in pow and ice. Later that became my pow only board and I moved to the APO Chasta 160cm twin. Stiff, not too much side cut, basically a standard park board that was long enough for pow and stiff enough for crud.

Saturday I put 14 miles on my new Twisted Velocity 164, and I found my new Fav! As the snow went from morning alpine frozen crud to soft spring-like conditions, I found that the forgiving flex made it a pleasure to ride, cutting thru the crud and delivering a very surfy feel in the softer snow. The reverse side cut acted like a flat edge and easily cranked upwind, and with a little toe pressure I executed very tight toe side carves. A fun deck that I feel will replace all of my previous decks this season. Yesterday I took it to Skyline in the pow... sooo nice (the snow that is) I just leaned back and the nose was like a slide gliding over the sage brush. :)))

I bought every one of the dozen Steep Water boards that I could find, and I still have a few new ones to sell, along with a fresh batch of the Twisted decks that are coming off the press as I write this.

Final Note: all boards work, twins work better, and stiffness and length are typically personal preferences. Start with what is already in your garage.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck
windzup

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum