Water kiting/snow kiting differences?

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Water kiting/snow kiting differences?

Postby Erik Holmgren » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:09 pm

What are some of the differences? besides the gear and conditions..

Are there snow specific kite maneuvers?

Safety issues/precautions?

things like that, if you've done some water kiting but can't really afford to do a snow specific lesson?
Erik Holmgren

Re: Water kiting/snow kiting differences?

Postby Kenny » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:32 am

Erik,

Some of the differences besides gear and equipment:
1. You can use a smaller kite on hardpack conditions because snow has less friction.
2. It is easy to go upwind, snowkiters go upwind on the first day.

Snow specific kite maneuvers - most are the same as on water. I can only think of a couple
1. looping the kite to go uphill
2. Gliding off a hill
3. Going up and down hill can be challenging for newbies

Safety issues/precautions
1. It is easy to get a very long ways from your launch point (which can be a real pain if the wind dies and you have to post hole back). Wear a small pack with food and emergency blanket inside.
2. White outs - sometimes we kite in near whiteout conditions, it is a good idea to stay close to your car and perhaps wear a GPS device to help you find your way back.
3. Deep powder days are a challenge - bring a big board/big kite to plow through the deep stuff. There are days when I use a bigger kite on the snow than I would on the water.

I don't think snow specific lessons are necessary if you have experience on the water. I do suggest watching other kiters especially how they go up and downhill. Skyline is a good place for watching.
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby Erik Holmgren » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:24 am

Good to know. Thanks!
Erik Holmgren

Postby jonpeachey » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:49 pm

How will my SLE kite translate to snow? I have an Ozone Instinct 11M.

What percentage of kiteable days would an 11M cover for snow kiting in Utah?
jonpeachey

Postby windzup » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:31 am

The 11 is pretty much the standard all around size no matter what style. For years it was the 12 meter, but as kite designs have improved and increased the power of smaller kites... '11' is the new magic number.

Actually, 10-12 are perfect depending on skis or board and rider ability. Snow is a natural element that makes most kites have the range of 'bows'. Back in 05' at Strawbs we were flying 12m Frenzy's and the wind ranged from 25-40mph. The snow gives such a great edging surface that you can hold down just about anything. Its also such a fast non-resistant surface (except deep pow) that you can get going up to speed on a smaller sail.

After years of teaching snowkiting, I've found that a human needs no larger than a 10 meter for almost all conditions..... until they want to jump... then it takes a bigger kite or bigger wind and better technique to lift the heavy human body off the ground.

You'll be perfect on that kite my friend.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck
windzup

Postby jonpeachey » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:14 am

Thanks, Brian. I'll see ya out there on the white stuff!
jonpeachey

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum