New Windsurfer from SSI

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

New Windsurfer from SSI

Postby claycuster » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:38 am

My name is Clay and I am relocating from St.Simons Island, GA to Salt Lake in May. I have been windsurfing for one year and have finally started getting in the straps and harness. Yesterday was my first solid 5.0 day and I still struggle with my water starts but am improving each time. If that tells you where my level is. I know its probably a bit early out there but I am looking forward to getting on the water as soon as I can when I get there and am eager to find out where to go, what sail ranges? I just wanted to introduce myself and look forward to meeting others.
claycuster

Re: New Windsurfer from SSI

Postby Leo Chan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:24 am

Hi Clay, welcome! Please keep your house at SSI so that we can come visit in the near future. :)))

The wind here has a wide range. You can find 5.0 condition at some location and at the same time nothing at other location! Do bring couple of big sails, in the 8 meters range.

Look forward to meeting you at Deer Creek or Utah Lake. :)

~Leo: 801-319-3980
Leo Chan

Postby Sarah Ranes » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:55 am

Hi Clay, Welcome to Utah....soon. Leo has already mentioned 2 of the most used, and close to SLC, windsurfing sites. There are a few others, in the 1.5 hr. drive range, but as usual, it depends on the wind direction, and your time. there is lot's of good info on this websited about our lakes and launches, and we are lucky to have 2 fabulous wind forecasters, that post each day, and give you pretty good chances of finding sailable wind. So stay in touch here.

I will look forward to meeting/sailing with you soon. Sarah
Sarah Ranes

Postby Craig Goudie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:57 am

Hi Clay and welcome to Utah, you'll find the Boardheads and Kiters here to be very friendly, and
very hard core (maybe even maniacal)

I recommend you have a look at the "Local Sites and Maps" at the top of this page. Rick McClains Google app is quit nice also (UWA Places) . That'll give you
some idea of the gear you need to face the conditions we have. There are people sailing the liquid
this early, but a good drysuit, cold be a life saving investment. Post again when you get settled,
and watch for the daily "where to ride" report.

-Craig

clayc wrote:My name is Clay and I am relocating from St.Simons Island, GA to Salt Lake in May. I have been windsurfing for one year and have finally started getting in the straps and harness. Yesterday was my first solid 5.0 day and I still struggle with my water starts but am improving each time. If that tells you where my level is. I know its probably a bit early out there but I am looking forward to getting on the water as soon as I can when I get there and am eager to find out where to go, what sail ranges? I just wanted to introduce myself and look forward to meeting others.
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby DevinClarke » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:53 pm

Hey Clay,

Say hello to my Uncle and cousins out there on the island. Paul and Dominic Clarke. They are part of the few kiters that are lucky to reside at St Simons.

Devon Clarke
DevinClarke

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum