New to Kitesurfing looking for UL launching site info

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

New to Kitesurfing looking for UL launching site info

Postby marcoarici » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:36 am

Hello everyone, my wife and I just learned to kitesurf out of state and we would strongly appreciate if anyone could show us the UT Lake launching sites. Unfortunately we don’t know many kitesurfers here in UT and with Billy unavailable we have yet to try the UT sites. We are mainly interested in seeing the launching site, the possible local hazards, the beginner area (if there is one), limitation and local regulation of the UT lake sites. Basically I just need someone to talk about it that perhaps could show us around. I may go there tonight around 6 pm and see if there will be anyone around. Thank you in advance Marco Arici 801-918-5422
marcoarici

Re: New to Kitesurfing looking for UL launching site info

Postby Mark Johnson » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:50 am

Utah lake lincoln beach is your best bet. The forcast is not looking good today could be slowing down after a great July.
Here is a link to some local sites. It does not have Lincoln beach listed though. Pretty much the same directions as SSB but do go over the bridge and continue to follow the paved roads around the lake you will eventually see the sign.

localsites.php
Attachments
lincoln beach launch.jpg
Mark Johnson

Postby marcoarici » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:15 am

Thank you Mark, for your input. What about Deer Creek? I was not looking to get water time, rather just see the site. Do you think there will be someone at DC? I used to have a Hobie18 there and i am fairly familiar with the lake. But i could not find any literature on the exact location for the kitesurfing DC launching site. Do we launch from the island park? One more question: with regard of wind pattern, what is the best month/s for kitesurfing at UL?
marcoarici

Postby Mark Johnson » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:16 pm

marcoarici wrote:Thank you Mark, for your input. What about Deer Creek? I was not looking to get water time, rather just see the site. Do you think there will be someone at DC? I used to have a Hobie18 there and i am fairly familiar with the lake. But i could not find any literature on the exact location for the kitesurfing DC launching site. Do we launch from the island park? One more question: with regard of wind pattern, what is the best month/s for kitesurfing at UL?

Deer Creek launch would be the north east end. about a half mile down the turn off towards the charleston bridge there is an open field. I was told that this launch is kind of messed up and that you have to wade through a bunch of floating debris to get in the water.
Best months at Ul are spring and fall usually mid summer dulldrums but we have had a very good July this year. I am not sure about launching from Island Park I will let others comment on this as I have not tried it. Be very carefull at DC as it can change in seconds and gets gusty. I will try and put a picture of the launch site at DC.
Attachments
deer creek copy.jpg
Mark Johnson

UL Jordanelle Grantsville launching site info

Postby marcoarici » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:58 am

Hi again,
Mark: your pictures were invaluable, thank you very much. I was hoping that you would be so kind as to add the same pictures for the Jordanelle and perhaps Grantsville launching sites, even if they are not the best places for kitesurfing.

One more question: has anyone ventured to sail the North part of UL during the reliable morning south blows that keeps the parasailers up at the TOM?
Thank you everyone for your help. Ciao, Marco
marcoarici

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum