Bear lake: wind predictor and best launching?

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Bear lake: wind predictor and best launching?

Postby marcoarici » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:30 am

Hello, I would like to try to kitesurf in Bear Lake but could not find much information about it.

I have been monitoring the NWS Forecast selecting the middle of the lake:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... it=0&lg=en
It looks like in the afternoon the wind its often NE, which would make the Idaho east shore the best bet. Does anyone know of a better predictor?
Can anyone confirm my theory and/or recommend a launching site?

Thank you Marco
marcoarici

Re: Bear lake: wind predictor and best launching?

Postby trevmorrell » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:02 pm

Hey Marco, I actually lived in Bear Lake for quite a few years and from my experiences there, the three places I always try to ride are North Beach, Ideal Beach RV Park, and the Garden City Beach. On the east side the wind doesn't seem very steady at all, plus the lake gets really deep really fast on that side. The main factor I have noticed with the wind in Bear Lake is if it is blowing directly west or east then the wind usually either has huge holes in it or changes direction/speed very rapidly. Best bet is try to ride the north you were talking about. Good luck.
Trevor
trevmorrell

Postby Jason Klein » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:49 am

If the wind is NE, it would be side-off on the idaho eastern shore. That'd pretty much be the worst situation for you if something goes wrong - you'd drift a long way before hitting land again. Western shore in UT would be your best bet on NE wind. that way the wind will have come all the way down and across the lake, so it should be smoother, and if you have an equipment issue, you'll get blown back into shore pretty quickly.
Jason Klein

Postby marcoarici » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:07 pm

Jason is absolutely right. For everyone reading this post: if the wind comes from the NE, please do not launch from the NE shore.
Sorry guys, I did get confused and typed NE when I meant SW. However, the stronger winds are indeed from NE and the west UT side would be best for that. Thank you all for your input. Marco
marcoarici

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum